Glare shield light bulbs

ohdub

My glare shield lights don't work and I discovered why the other night, there are no bulbs in any of the sockets. So the question is, what bulbs do I use? Aircraft Spruce has a long list of bulbs and I don't know which to get. I have a '90 J.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me ;)

2 hours ago, ohdub said:

My glare shield lights don't work and I discovered why the other night, there are no bulbs in any of the sockets. So the question is, what bulbs do I use? Aircraft Spruce has a long list of bulbs and I don't know which to get. I have a '90 J.

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this for me ;)

I would pull one out and look it to be sure. My plane has 330s in it. 

See what bulb you need. I've got a whole baggy full of bulbs that were removed from my panel upgrade. Kick a little postage at me and I'll send you several of whatever you need. They are just in my "bag of whatever" leftovers.

-Tom

• Like 3

Have you carefully checked the bulb sockets. You might try removing all the bulbs and seeing if it still blows, and if not, replacing them one at a time to see which socket. I hope these are cheap fuses. Or you can use an ohmmeter.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Drew_Wagner said:

The glare shield light 5A fuse keeps blowing. Any ideas? I have traced the wire all the way and all appears OK, nothing gets hot. I'm stumped...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my prediction for why the OP (ohdub) is missing all of his light bulbs, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Can you not just ignore them and put in an LED strip instead?   Warm light rather than blue light obviously.  

The circuit has the Transistors (how the dimming occurs)which have probably failed. So need to replace the the transistors with PWM module. LED need a PWM module to dim.

56 minutes ago, Hank said:

^^^^ Hey, that looks great! What is it? LEDs on a reel, cut to length and plug in?

Yep..Just cut to length. I think I cut maybe a foot off. I used it a few nights ago and it worked excellent. The USB and the ability to dim is the beauty of it. I'm going to try and fly later today or evening..I'll try to get a picture of it in action.

Strip Length: 51.2 inches
USB Cord Length 19.6 inches
Power DC5V USB Powered
Adhesive: 3M Adhesive Backing
Waterproof: IP65
Color: White
LED Quantity: 78

-Tom

I've emailed the previous owner to find out if there is a reason there are no bulbs... as people have mentioned, there may be a reason. 

Where would I find that LED strip that Tom posted? That looks like a possible easy solution.

1 hour ago, TWinter said:

Close..

Here you go.

https://www.amazon.com/Sewell-LightFrame-Dimmer-Powered-Lighting/dp/B01GP0N8MU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479415763&sr=8-1&keywords=sewell+lightframe

Actually I got mine off Fleabay. Here they are on Amazon.. Mine are LED white.

-Tom

How do you power it Tom?

20 minutes ago, PTK said:

How do you power it Tom?

When I had the panel redone I had the MidContinent MD93 Digital Clock/USB Charger unit installed on the far left of the panel. In my situation it worked out well just plugging the LED USB into the USB on the clock. Output V of the USB is 5v per USB.

The power-cord with the dimmer is plenty long enough to use the regular cig lighter with USB adapter port. It would still make for a very clean install.

-Tom

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's help! The bulb is the GE 330, I got one and tried it in a few different sockets but it doesn't work, so there is a bigger problem. Perhaps I'll wait for the annual and let Clarence fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Had maybe the same trouble with my K Model.. 330's it is.. that's the easy part.  It's the little screw-in holder that I'm missing two of.  See pic below.  Can't find a part number, Can't find anything.. I've thought about the LED trick.. But I use my Cig Adaptor to keep my IPAD and Garmin Glow charged.  For the time being, I've just moved the lights to over the things I would like to be illuminated.  Dark over some of the duplicate gauges I never use. 

If anyone knows the part number, or a source for that thing I'd love to know about it.  I've tried everything I can think of, even Mooney.. I "think" they are confusing the only part number that shows up on the drawings as the actual molded in socket and not this screw in retainer thingy.. Unless it is all sold as a unit.  I have given up for now..

bulb.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed a couple of mine are out too ('80 K model) but haven't given it much attention yet.  Any thoughts if there would be any official reason someone couldn't just have a batch of those ran?  Haven't seen where there's any part number directly on the shroud (metal part shown). 

I happen to know someone with a screw machine that could spit those out but we'd probably have to order hundreds to make it worth while.  Tolerances would be held to +/- .0015.

Just a thought...