Avidyne IFD440/540 Trade-Up Program from Avionics Source (Sponsored)

NOTE: This post has been purchased as sponsored content.

It's back! Upgrade to the new Avidyne IFD440/540 today and trade-in your old Garmin 430W/530W with Avionics Source. All units ship with newly certified 10.2 software, showcasing over 70+ new features/enhancements/fixes, including the IFD100 iPad app. 

All IFD440/540 units include Wifi/BlueTooth & Forward Looking Terrain Awareness unlocks, a $2600 value. Pricing reflects your 430W/530W trade-in value at purchase.

Upgrade Today: 
IFD440 
$5,450 [check/wire payment]
$5,650 Online: http://bit.ly/2f9ZvQq

IFD540
$6,450 [check/wire payment]
$6,650 Online: http://bit.ly/2eUb11p

Top Features:
10.2 Overview Video: http://bit.ly/2o1L5pr
Synthetic Vision: 3D terrain, 3D Obstacles, 3D traffic.
IFD100 iPad App: A large-format map that wirelessly connects to your panel mounted unit, providing all knob/touch functionality and wireless remote control. 
FLTA: Displays a solid yellow or red impact point based on projected flight path. FLTA also provides visual CAS and aural alerts.
CMAX: Pinch Zoom Approach Charts & Airport Diagrams. (540 only)
GeoFill: Intelligent waypoint additions based on proximity, not database order.
All 10.2 features/enhancements/fixes: http://bit.ly/2mlUVnW

Customer Testimonial:
"The IFD440 is awesome; it offers so much more than my previous 430W. Between tremendously improved resolution, touch screen and knobs, IFD100 iPad app, WiFi and Bluetooth . . . the list of improvements is almost endless. And all at an exceptional price point." -Ken Reed, Beechtalk

*Requires 14/28V 430W/530W trade-ins in good cosmetic condition. A $350 fee will be assessed for any delamination or anti-glare spiderweb. No exceptions. View complete upgrade terms online.

Call or PM for a quote if you have a 28V only GNS unit, or have a non-WAAS 14/28V unit.

Edited by Avionics Source
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, gsengle said:

I'm guessing there are at least as many 530s in Mooneys as 430s, and a lot of people have been looking at 530 to 540 or 550 upgrades... would be good to have a published program for that as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Program and post updated to include 14/28V 530W to IFD540 trade-up offer. Thanks!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mccdeuce said:

Any love for 430 non WAAS? 

We have lots of love but the 430 non-WAAS is a little trickier from an upgrade standpoint so we're quoting individually. Please keep in mind the 440 would not be plug-n-play as a WAAS antenna would need to be added to your aircraft. 

Assuming you have a 14/28V 430, your trade-up price would be $7650 out the door which includes a new WAAS antenna, shipping etc. Factoring in $3695 retail for a WAAS upgrade, upgrading to the 440 is not unreasonable considering all the other benefits. 

3 minutes ago, mccdeuce said:

Other than the Antenna why is it not plug and play?

Apologies as there was a typo in the previous post. The only reason it's not plug-n-play is the antenna installation. Otherwise, the same tray, back plate and connectors would be used keeping labor hours low.

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Also you have to know what your current wiring is- BNC with RG-58 won't cut it for the WAAS antenna.  It needs to be upgraded to something on the order of RG-400 and the cable to antenna connection is TNC whereas the cable to box connection is still BNC.  This is part of the reason why the upgrade from non-waas 430/530 to IFD 440/540 is not necessarily straightforward...

• Like 1

Starting now, we're taking our low prices even lower with an early Black Friday offer on our trade-up program running until Monday (11/28). It's now never been cheaper to upgrade to IFD!

IFD440 unit only: $100 savings
IFD440 & AXP340: $200 combined savings
IFD440, AXP340 & SkyTrax100: $600 combined savings
Buy Online: http://bit.ly/2f9ZvQq

IFD540 unit only: $100 savings
IFD 540 & AXP340 w/FREE Skytrax100: $200 combined savings
Buy Online: http://bit.ly/2eUb11p

Call or PM if you have any questions.

41 minutes ago, KLRDMD said:

He sells it to the Beech group :rolleyes:

Very funny Ken! Actually a majority of the trade-ins will end up with our flight school customers across the country. A few will go to international customers, and the remainder will be listed on here or other forums.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gsxrpilot said:

Well I took this one hook, line, and sinker.  

IFD540 replacing the 530W
AXP322 Remote replacing the KT76a
Adding Skytrax100 ADSB-In thrown in on the deal
PMA450A replacing the GMA 340

I'm a sucker for a good trade-in deal.

Nobody tell Paul he just signed up to be our Mooney trade show plane! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I see deals for trade ins, plug and play etc but seldom see much mention for out right sales. I talked to a rep about a year ago and had trouble getting cost numbers. From what I gathered my avionics man was not allowed to install a unit only a shop that was certified by Avidyne? I was looking for base numbers to work from but there just seemed to be too many variables involved so I just dropped it for the time being. It sure appears to be a superior product but I assume it's still out of reach for me. So I guess I need to continue the hunt for a good price on a 430 or 530 on the used market.

I see deals for trade ins, plug and play etc but seldom see much mention for out right sales. I talked to a rep about a year ago and had trouble getting cost numbers. From what I gathered my avionics man was not allowed to install a unit only a shop that was certified by Avidyne? I was looking for base numbers to work from but there just seemed to be too many variables involved so I just dropped it for the time being. It sure appears to be a superior product but I assume it's still out of reach for me. So I guess I need to continue the hunt for a good price on a 430 or 530 on the used market.

I'll have to look up the shop name but there's a place in Ohio that guaranteed they would make it worth my flight from Texas if I wanted a full Avidyne stack installed.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, nels said:

Ask Chase how to proceed, he'll help you out.

20 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

I'll have to look up the shop name but there's a place in Ohio that guaranteed they would make it worth my flight from Texas if I wanted a full Avidyne stack installed.

If you get a chance to look up the shop name, let me know. I am window shopping so to speak but that's what I was doing when I bought my first Mooney and now my 201. I've noticed you were in a C Model not long ago and now in a 252 so I'm sure you know how it works.

17 minutes ago, nels said:

If you get a chance to look up the shop name, let me know. I am window shopping so to speak but that's what I was doing when I bought my first Mooney and now my 201. I've noticed you were in a C Model not long ago and now in a 252 so I'm sure you know how it works.

Here it is.  ProAv in New Philadelphia, OH http://www.proavaircraft.com Ask for Eric. He'll remember me if you tell him I'm the one who bought Mr Schnider's 252.  They run a very active shop and for a very small FBO/Airfield, I spent a couple of days there and was very impressed with their expertise and knowledge.  I ended up having them pre-buy and annual the 252 before I flew it home to Texas.

So, what IS the street price on an IFD540? In 2 weeks I'll have a freshly overhauled (by Garmin) GNS530W (14/28V) in my hands with a 6 month factory-warranty. No better time to sell, right? According to all the hype a 540 would slide right in the gaping hole in my panel and in less than an hour I'd be fully operational (though I'm very skeptical). It would have to work with my GTX330ES (already ADS-B compliant) and still display TIS-A traffic and terrain/obstacles.

I could upgrade to a GTN750 for ~$7K+ but about all I gain is a marginally larger touchscreen, and airway routing. And a delay in planned obsolescence.

Unless I'm missing something it's hard for me to justify $6K-$8K for so little gain.

Comments welcome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cec6ea866cd3f8d729658cf7effd0c58.jpg

I did the same swap with my 530W. I haven't fully tested it as the plane is apart for a JPI EDM900 install.  But it powered up and the radio worked, there were no errors or complaints from the unit. I'm optimistic it will all work. 

1. Put the 530 into maintenance mode and copy down all the settings per the IFD540 instruction guide. Time=15min
2. Pull the 530 from the panel and insert the 540, tighten screw. Time=5min
3. Start up the 540 and enter settings from 530. Time=5min
4. Hang out with your friendly A&P, buy lunch, debate LOP/ROP opps, help install someone else cowl, get signature in logbook for IFD540 install. Time=all day ;-)

Here's the benefits I see...

1. Restart the clock with current technology. The GNS units are excellent, but are yesterday's technology and losing value every day.  At some point it's time to upgrade and this seemed to be the best/cost effective time to do it.
2. Soft radio/comms. I like the ability to have easy access to frequencies. The IFD will always suggest based on your position, the freq you should be using including AWOS/ATIS, CTAF, etc. You also have the ability to save presets of common used frequencies. Instead of being limited to a single stand-by freq, I can have several stand-by freq's.
3. Intuitive flight plan creation including victor airways. As you build a flight plan, the IDF presents/suggests from a list, all the options available from that location.
4. IFD100 - This puts the IFD540 screen on my iPad at full screen size. This is like having a second large screen GPS in the cockpit.
5. Data input options - virtually all functions of the 540 can be done either with knobs/buttons like the 530, touch screen, bluetooth keyboard, or from the IFD100 app on my iPad. Maybe my wife will take over full time navigation/comm duties running everything from her iPad without having to work buttons/knobs on the panel.

So there's my $0.02 on the upgrade.  Talking to Chase at Avionics Source is certainly the easy way to get a unit purchased with trade-in. You could always try to sell the 530 yourself here or on Barnstormers, Beechtalk, etc. Or some avionics installers will give trade-in value as well.  I went through Chase as it was easy.