Avidyne IFD440/540 Trade-Up Program from Avionics Source (Sponsored)

From the Installation Manual for 10.2

7.5.14.1.2 Configuring the IFD as a Client to an External WAP 

In some cases, an aircraft may have an existing WAP in use. For example, some aircraft may be accustomed to connecting 3rd party iPad applications to a Stratus ADS-B receiver.  These pilots will likely wish to also have access to the IFD from their iPads. In order to achieve this configuration, the IFD must be configured to connect to the Stratus receiver. This will allow tablet devices to access data from both the Stratus and the IFD simultaneously. 

Looking at all the products available, its getting kinda confusing, so I'm wondering if the Avidyne rep can help me break this down.

Currently installed:

Garmin 430W

KT76A

GMA 340:

Current plans: swap KT76A for Garmin GTX 345. Total cost: $6200, results in ADS-B in and out, traffic, etc

What the exact setup to do this with Avidyne? I like the look for the 440, and the transponders. Personally though, If I'm going to drop money on ADS-B out, I'm not sending out a ton of info and getting no benefit, so I want IN as well. Any radio upgrades are a plus.

EDIT: Or is there an Avidyne upgrade planner online? Somewhere I can just plug in what I have and what I want and it gives me options?

Edited by gitmo234

23 minutes ago, gitmo234 said:

Looking at all the products available, its getting kinda confusing, so I'm wondering if the Avidyne rep can help me break this down.

Currently installed:

Garmin 430W

KT76A

GMA 340:

Current plans: swap KT76A for Garmin GTX 345. Total cost: $6200, results in ADS-B in and out, traffic, etc

What the exact setup to do this with Avidyne? I like the look for the 440, and the transponders. Personally though, If I'm going to drop money on ADS-B out, I'm not sending out a ton of info and getting no benefit, so I want IN as well. Any radio upgrades are a plus.

EDIT: Or is there an Avidyne upgrade planner online? Somewhere I can just plug in what I have and what I want and it gives me options?

If you've got a 430W that you want to trade in on a IFD440, why not get the AXP322 or AXP340 transponder. That will get you the ADSB Out and Avidyne has been running a promotion where if you buy the IFD440 and a transponder, they will give you the SkyTrax100 which gives you the ADSB In. 

I was in pretty much the same situation.  I traded my 530W for an IFD540, I also bought the AXP322 remote transponder and go the SkyTrax100 thrown in on the deal. That gives me the modern GPS in the IFD540 which is also the head for my AXP322 transponder which combined with the SkyTrax100, also remote, gives me ADSB IN and OUT and also gives me wifi and bluetooth connections to my iPad.  I topped it all off by trading my GMA340 in on a PMA 450a at the same time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gsxrpilot said:

If you've got a 430W that you want to trade in on a IFD440, why not get the AXP322 or AXP340 transponder. That will get you the ADSB Out and Avidyne has been running a promotion where if you buy the IFD440 and a transponder, they will give you the SkyTrax100 which gives you the ADSB In. 

I was in pretty much the same situation.  I traded my 530W for an IFD540, I also bought the AXP322 remote transponder and go the SkyTrax100 thrown in on the deal. That gives me the modern GPS in the IFD540 which is also the head for my AXP322 transponder which combined with the SkyTrax100, also remote, gives me ADSB IN and OUT and also gives me wifi and bluetooth connections to my iPad.  I topped it all off by trading my GMA340 in on a PMA 450a at the same time.

Now you've got me wondering about the price and implications of taking the 430W for a 540 Avidyne plus the package you have above... If I had room, and it worked fine with the GS

Screen Shot 2017-04-01 at 11.27.12 PM.png

Just now, gitmo234 said:

Now you've got me wondering about the price and implications of taking the 430W for a 540 Avidyne plus the package you have above... If I had room, and it worked fine with the GS

Shoot me a PM with your contact information. I'll put some great pricing in front of you that will help you make an educated purchase decision. 

Thanks,

Chase

Simpson Bennet is our Avidyne contact...  @AviSimpson

His company has been very responsive to requests like the upgrade planner.

You have some great resources like Chase and Rocket above...

All have great and different viewpoints...

you really know things are going your way when...

1) the manufacurer

2) the installer

3) Other Mooney owners

4) You 

Are All on the same page.

Don't be afraid to send a message to Simpson too.  :)

Best regards,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/14/2016 at 6:20 PM, Avionics Source said:

We have lots of love but the 430 non-WAAS is a little trickier from an upgrade standpoint so we're quoting individually. Please keep in mind the 440 would not be plug-n-play as a WAAS antenna would need to be added to your aircraft. 

Assuming you have a 14/28V 430, your trade-up price would be $7650 out the door which includes a new WAAS antenna, shipping etc. Factoring in $3695 retail for a WAAS upgrade, upgrading to the 440 is not unreasonable considering all the other benefits. 

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there any swap deals for a Non-WAAS 430 to a 540 or 550? Giving serious thought to upgrading. 

On 4/14/2017 at 11:49 AM, gitmo234 said:

Gitmo, did you just recently acquire 1300A?

On 11/28/2016 at 9:29 AM, gsxrpilot said:

Well I took this one hook, line, and sinker.  

IFD540 replacing the 530W
AXP322 Remote replacing the KT76a
Adding Skytrax100 ADSB-In thrown in on the deal
PMA450A replacing the GMA 340

I'm a sucker for a good trade-in deal.

What kind of install time did you have with all of this? Got pics?

giving serious consideration to upgrading my 430 to an IFD540, replacing my Narco transponder with the AXP322, and maybe swapping out my audio panel. 

Edited by Desertdoc75

7 hours ago, Desertdoc75 said:

What kind of install time did you have with all of this? Got pics?

giving serious consideration to upgrading my 430 to an IFD540, replacing my Narco transponder with the AXP322, and maybe swapping out my audio panel. 

I did the GNS530 to IFD540 swap myself and it took all of 30 minutes. It would have only taken 10 minutes, but I re-read the instructions several times to make sure it was really as easy as described.  I also did the GMA350 to PMA450a audio panel swap myself. It only took 10 minutes. My A&P signed both off at no charge.

The AXP322 and SkyTrax100 install was done by an Avionics shop and was charged for 20 hours. But that involved pulling the interior panels to run cabling as they are located in the tail.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gitmo234 said:

I did! are you knowledgable of the airplane?

A little bit. She was a strong contender for my first Mooney purchase until my D came along. Had some great conversations with the previous owner, she looks good, logs and upkeep were sound, I think you got a great deal with that one!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Gents,

I'm closing on my house (selling) on the 28th. I have cash set aside for both the IFD-440 swap and a skytrax/transponder package deal. Just wanted to brag a bit. Once complete I will post pictures and put some feedback about it up. So far Chase has been pretty damn tolerant. I started asking questions months ago. 

• mooniac58 unpinned this topic
  • 6 months later...
11 minutes ago, Drumstick said:

Where is this deal?

Hello Jonathan,

We are still offering trade in credit on older Garmin units and are giving away free ADS-B In and Out with the purchase of an IFD550.

Also, any purchase of an IFD440 with BT/WIFI receives a free Light Speed Zulu 3 headset as well. 

We also now offer customer financing options.

Please let me know if you have any questions on any of our Awesome equipment or current promos.

Best regards,

Joe Conte

Regional Technical Sales Manager

ATP/CFI/CFII/MEI

Jconte@avidyne.com

(321) 751-8432 

I'm working with Chase Larabee from avionics source who is honoring that deal. 

Edited by J0nathan225
edit format and add POC
  • Like 1