Aspen EFD 1000

PR474

Coming home from avionics shop Thursday my KI-258 attitude indicator decided to take a nap. It was overhauled about a year and a half ago with less than 200 hours since, so it has me thinking about upgrading the panel. I would be trading in the KI-258 core, the King HSI system and a DAC GDC-31 GPSS unit. In return, I would be getting an Aspen 1000 Pro with EA 100 autopilot adapter and a new RC Allen Horizon Gyro for backup installed for about $15k. Opinions on whether the price seems high or about right.

Thanks,

Paul

2 hours ago, PR474 said:

Coming home from avionics shop Thursday my KI-258 attitude indicator decided to take a nap. It was overhauled about a year and a half ago with less than 200 hours since, so it has me thinking about upgrading the panel. I would be trading in the KI-258 core, the King HSI system and a DAC GDC-31 GPSS unit. In return, I would be getting an Aspen 1000 Pro with EA 100 autopilot adapter and a new RC Allen Horizon Gyro for backup installed for about $15k. Opinions on whether the price seems high or about right.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul -- Aspen is running a rebate ($750 I think). I would make sure you apply for that. It looks like the RC Allen is about $2200 and the Aspen should be around $10k to $11k before rebate. They may be a little high. Did you get any other quotes. I would look at several quotes before I did the work.

• Like 1

Paul -- Aspen is running a rebate ($750 I think). I would make sure you apply for that. It looks like the RC Allen is about $2200 and the Aspen should be around $10k to $11k before rebate. They may be a little high. Did you get any other quotes. I would look at several quotes before I did the work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks For the reply Chris. I thought the equipment prices were ok but the labor which was included was over $4k and I thought that was a little high. I have 2 more quotes being prepared. I will ask about rebate.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PR474 said:

Thanks For the reply Chris. I thought the equipment prices were ok but the labor which was included was over $4k and I thought that was a little high. I have 2 more quotes being prepared. I will ask about rebate.

I had one installed in my old C model.  It was awesome.  But there is a pretty fair amount of setup.  It takes about 8 hours to properly calibrate the unit after everything is installed.

2 hours ago, PR474 said:

Don't forget they have to install a GPS antenna which requires removing the entire interior. I bet they have at least 8 hours of labor just to pull the interior and instrument panel apart and put it back together.

Ron Collins Aviation Electronics In Henderson, KY 
this guy has been advertising Aspen installs for $12,250
I would use that amount as a guide for fully installed, all in price.

Do you know if that includes the EA 100 autopilot adapter for the KAP 150?

8 hours ago, PR474 said:

Do you know if that includes the EA 100 autopilot adapter for the KAP 150?

The cost to install that ea100 once everything is already torn apart should be minimal: they are building you a new wiring harness anyway- so I wouldn't expect more than 5 hours labor difference.... I would expect the 2500 unit cost though!

might want to check out that Garmin G5 standby gyro- I think that might be worth the extra charge over a mechanical, electrically driven gyro- especially since you're installing the EA100.  Wish I had an EA100.

Edited by M016576

On 11/13/2016 at 8:43 AM, PR474 said:

Hi Paul,

i just went through the same thing.  My KA-102A went belly up after I overhauled my HSI last annual.  I was doing a refy on my plane for tank reseals so I bit the bullet and took the rest of the equity for an EFD 1000.  My unit cost was 10,500 and it included the converter and everything the avionics guys needed to synch my KFC-200 and 430W.  They do have to remove everything inside to run the cables to the new antenna.  I actually kept my KFC vacuum AI as my stand by. We had to slide the storm scope over to the left and put the AI in its place so I did not purchase a back-up.  I am eventually going to an electric like the L3 500 version possibly but now just saving some $ and waiting to see what happens in the avionics market. I figured my current AI would give me a little breathing room.   My labor cost was $3600 so I don't think you are too far off.  I have been very pleased with the 1000.  I grew up looking at altitude and airspeed tapes in the Navy so it wasn't much of a change but I know some folks have a little bit of challenge.  The HSI is outstanding and the options available to you for instruments flying is great. You won't look back once you start flying with it. 

Thanks for your response anthonydesmet. I was quoted a vacuum RC Allen attitude indicator for backup, but we just finished the annual inspection today and now I am leaning toward adding a G5 to the installation and do away with the vacuum system. I have a backup vacuum pump system and should be able to defray some of the cost by selling it. I will be pricing the addition tomorrow and hope to have installation done in December.