IFR low enroute charts

JoshMan

1 hour ago, N1395W said:

Me too. 

Teejay- What are the flite charts?  Are they legal for the FAA?

They are the Garmin charts, dynamic resizing, smart display of airports, airspace....very legal and IMO the major plus of GP over FF.  You should see them in download section, you download by state, not regional like FAA.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

For IFR FAA charts, if you select chart to download it will display info in queue page.

I could not see it. But I can see on the lower left corner of the chart the revision date. I trust Garmin is providing the latest charts/maps.

One feature I love is the combined wind and ETE for different altitudes on the flight plan folder. It helps you plan for the best altitude.

José

9 hours ago, teejayevans said:

They are the Garmin charts, dynamic resizing, smart display of airports, airspace....very legal and IMO the major plus of GP over FF.  You should see them in download section, you download by state, not regional like FAA.

What is the difference between them and the new ForeFlight gloabal aeronautical charts that makes them superior? 

I use Garmin Pilot on an Android.  I don't see any way to view the effective dates on Low Enroute charts once they've been downloaded.  If I go to downloads and select Low Enroute charts, it shows that I'm in the green for the current cycle for the charts I've selected.  The main download page also says that all my downloads are up to date.

Now for approach plates, its relatively easy to see if a particular plate is up to date.  Go to this website Terminal Procedures Search, select a state, then browse through the list until you find an approach plate that has changed.  Approach plates seem to start a couple pages into the list so skip forward to page 5 or so.  Find one that has changed and look at the date in the upper right corner.  Just compare the date in the top right corner of that plate with one you can view on your tablet.  For those not familiar, the date in the upper right is formatted, YYDDD where YY is the year and DDD is the Julian date of the year.  So for changes that happened this past Nov. 10th, the date will be 16315.

1 hour ago, Bob - S50 said:

I use Garmin Pilot on an Android.  I don't see any way to view the effective dates on Low Enroute charts once they've been downloaded.  If I go to downloads and select Low Enroute charts, it shows that I'm in the green for the current cycle for the charts I've selected.  The main download page also says that all my downloads are up to date.

Try clicking on one of the IFR Low charts on the master map. When I do that it pops up the cycle (1606) and the valid dates 11/10/2016-01/05/2017. (Android tablet)

What happens when you select "Delete All"?
I can tell you what Garmin customer service will ask you to do: delete the GP app and it's data, and then reinstall.

Basically said, I delete all:

ad15387e11ab2fe3903fb5211888f1a0.png

All deleted:

983709df1f7d266eeb2122581e6717ed.png

And then download again and I get all the expired ones back one at a time:

13dd908a53312d265efb79328c937399.png

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Don't know, I haven't look at FF in years when I downloaded both and played with them to decide which I like better.

Hard to call it a "major plus" except at that single point in time. Like most features in this area, one app starts and others follow.

I looked out of curiosity. Pilot was definitely first, to be expected since the basics have been there for a number of years in panel mounts, and its ahead of the FF model in a number of respects. The ForeFlight one is pretty new, just introduced in the past few months but is pretty similar. 

19 hours ago, Bob - S50 said:

Now for approach plates, its relatively easy to see if a particular plate is up to date.  Go to this website Terminal Procedures Search, select a state, then browse through the list until you find an approach plate that has changed.  Approach plates seem to start a couple pages into the list so skip forward to page 5 or so.  Find one that has changed and look at the date in the upper right corner.  Just compare the date in the top right corner of that plate with one you can view on your tablet.  For those not familiar, the date in the upper right is formatted, YYDDD where YY is the year and DDD is the Julian date of the year.  So for changes that happened this past Nov. 10th, the date will be 16315.

That's a lot of work. Why not just pull up the plate in the app and look at the cycle date written along the left margin? If it's the current 56 day cycle, it's the current chart. Is Pilot removing that information?

Same here, the only charts displaying have expired and there's no provision to download current ones.

Ended up fixing it by deleting the app and reloading it. Downloads of the current data worked. Pain in the butt since I had to reset all of my preferences.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk