Mooney's in So Cal?

Simon

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here is based in Los Angeles?
Preferably Van Nuys airport which is my home field, but anywhere in that general area would be OK.

I am currently working on my 3rd rating (already have helicopter and glider) and am thinking about buying a

Mooney M20J once I pass my single engine checkride in the next few months.

It would be great to talk to an owner first and of course do some hangar flying and get the low down on my new favorite aircraft.

And also if anyone knows of a plane for sale around here I'm all ears!

Look forward to hearing from you all!
Simon

Welcome aboard, Simon.

You have come to the right place.

Have you considered getting training from a Mooney specific CFII?

We have a couple of those guys around here.

Planes for sale often end up in the MS section for planes for sale...

Stand by for additional ideas...

Best regards,

-a-

22 hours ago, Simon said:

Hi, I am wondering if anyone here is based in Los Angeles?
Preferably Van Nuys airport which is my home field, but anywhere in that general area would be OK.

I am currently working on my 3rd rating (already have helicopter and glider) and am thinking about buying a

Mooney M20J once I pass my single engine checkride in the next few months.

It would be great to talk to an owner first and of course do some hangar flying and get the low down on my new favorite aircraft.

And also if anyone knows of a plane for sale around here I'm all ears!

Look forward to hearing from you all!
Simon

Welcome Simon, I'm based at Long Beach and would be happy to meet with you sometime and show you my plane so long as you're willing to contend with 405 traffic. I also sometimes get off work at 2am in case you want to avoid the traffic as we know traffic is often worse on the weekend. :lol:

• Like 1

On 11/12/2016 at 4:03 PM, carusoam said:

Welcome aboard, Simon.

You have come to the right place.

Have you considered getting training from a Mooney specific CFII?

We have a couple of those guys around here.

Planes for sale often end up in the MS section for planes for sale...

Stand by for additional ideas...

Best regards,

-a-

Thank you!  It definitely feels like the right place :)

I'm so close to being done with my training that I'll continue

learning in the C172.  To transition to a Mooney would probably

involve a Mooney specific CFI?

5 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Welcome Simon, I'm based at Long Beach and would be happy to meet with you sometime and show you my plane so long as you're willing to contend with 405 traffic. I also sometimes get off work at 2am in case you want to avoid the traffic as we know traffic is often worse on the weekend. :lol:

Thanks.  That would be just want I'm looking to do.

I have pretty good 405 traffic luck and hopefully saying that doesn't jinx me!

If it's convenient for you, an early Saturday or Sunday visit would be great.  Maybe not 2am early (my wife

wants to come with me).

Thanks so much.

Simon

Just now, Simon said:

Thank you!  It definitely feels like the right place :)

I'm so close to being done with my training that I'll continue

learning in the C172.  To transition to a Mooney would probably

involve a Mooney specific CFI?

Good decision! And yes, a Mooney-knowledgable CFI would be a great idea. Should be some in the area.

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

The nice thing about Mooney specific CfIIs is they often have a Mooney or have access to one...

Just be careful... be ready...  speed and efficiency are not easy to get out of your blood stream.

Best regards,

-a-

Ha.  I understand that.  I'm already into older air cooled Porsche's which are the

epitome of speed and efficiency.  The bug bit me years ago - at least in the car world.

It's an amazing fact that Porsche supplied it's aviation engine to Mooney at some point.

I've seen that engine up close in the Porsche Museum.

19 minutes ago, Simon said:

Thanks.  That would be just want I'm looking to do.

I have pretty good 405 traffic luck and hopefully saying that doesn't jinx me!

If it's convenient for you, an early Saturday or Sunday visit would be great.  Maybe not 2am early (my wife

wants to come with me).

Thanks so much.

Simon

Simon, that would work. My plane is in San Diego getting the annual done and I'm not sure yet when I'll be picking it up but shouldn't be later than Monday the 21st so perhaps the weekend after that. Just let me know which day works for you.

Just now, NotarPilot said:

Simon, that would work. My plane is in San Diego getting the annual done and I'm not sure yet when I'll be picking it up but shouldn't be later than Monday the 21st so perhaps the weekend after that. Just let me know which day works for you.

Yes!  That totally works.  We will be back in LA on Friday after visiting family for the

purpose of overeating.  Anytime that weekend is perfect plus traffic should be chilled out

most of the weekend.  Anytime that works for you is good with us.

I'll send you a PM.

Simon

Welcome Simon!! I bounce around SMO, MHV, VNY, CMA and SZP. I'm at SMO most days. 

I have a decent 65E. I can offer a lunch run when able. 

Good luck with your training!! 

Maybe the three of us (notar) could all go to lunch in the Mooneys and talk helicopters! Lol. 

-Matt

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MB65E said:

Welcome Simon!! I bounce around SMO, MHV, VNY, CMA and SZP. I'm at SMO most days. 

I have a decent 65E. I can offer a lunch run when able. 

Good luck with your training!! 

Maybe the three of us (notar) could all go to lunch in the Mooneys and talk helicopters! Lol. 

-Matt

Hey Matt, thank you.  Nice to hear from another local!

And you're into helicopters?

If you spend most of your time at SMO does that mean you live on the west side?
I'm in Echo Park - close to downtown.

Simon

Welcome Simon,

I own a 66E and bounce around between KAJO, KVNY,KWHP and KWJF. If you guys get together let me know. I'd be happy to show you around the E along with the other guys. It performs very close to the J. Happy airplane hunting

Mike

5 hours ago, MHemperly said:

Welcome Simon,

I own a 66E and bounce around between KAJO, KVNY,KWHP and KWJF. If you guys get together let me know. I'd be happy to show you around the E along with the other guys. It performs very close to the J. Happy airplane hunting

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks a lot for the offer.  Would be fun to compare a J to your E.

I've never flown into Fox field, but spent all my glider time in Antelope Valley - the eastern end.

On 11/13/2016 at 1:20 PM, NotarPilot said:

Hey Notar!

I know off topic, but I'm based at Long Beach (signature) myself and I don't think I've had the opportunity to meet you yet.. lets fix that?

And On topic. Simon Welcome! If you're down this way and want to check out my bird for the type, (which is not at all for sale) let me know!

• Like 2

Hi John, it sounds like you two should totally connect.

I'm planning to meet up at Long Beach for some Mooney talk the weekend right after Thanksgiving.  Would love to check out

your bird too - if you're around?
Half the country will still be a food coma so I didn't want to make assumptions!!

1 hour ago, Simon said:

Hi John, it sounds like you two should totally connect.

I'm planning to meet up at Long Beach for some Mooney talk the weekend right after Thanksgiving.  Would love to check out

your bird too - if you're around?
Half the country will still be a food coma so I didn't want to make assumptions!!

Hey Simon! Unfortunately I'm working that weekend :( so won't be available then, but I do lots of weekend flying on other weekends if you're around!