Mooney ashtrays

Dood

Mine is in the sidewall, not the armrest. I replaced it with an Ashlight from Spruce, four little red LEDs powered by two AAA batteries. Aimed up like yours is, though, I don't think that would be a good option, although they can be shielded and the light directed with metal tape.

Some of my passengers (kids) use them to place chewing gum. Better than anywhere else. Some passengers chew gum to relieve ear pressure pain. Others to cope with flying in a small plane. I would not remove the ashtrays unless you are willing to cope with gum on your carpet or side panels.

José

I found that the ashtray was a perfect place and size to put double-A batteries - new fresh ones easy access, and also I put the old dead ones there, - easy access - since we all know that somehow headset batteries always decide that it is time to cut out 3 minutes after take off when in a class-bravo on an ifr flight plan.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Piloto said:

Some of my passengers (kids) use them to place chewing gum. Better than anywhere else. Some passengers chew gum to relieve ear pressure pain. Others to cope with flying in a small plane. I would not remove the ashtrays unless you are willing to cope with gum on your carpet or side panels.

José

Any passenger found leaving chewed gum in my plane will be asked to leave the plane, regardless of phase of flight. 

• Like 5

On 11/13/2016 at 9:00 AM, daver328 said:

Aircraft Spruce? I think? carries small LED interior lights in the shape of the ash tray ... might be an acceptable solution? Seems like they were pricey... ? I bought two, but returned them because they didn't fit our ashtray holes. 

I found the pen holders ... still looking for the lights 

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/cigpen.php?clickkey=21049

Will the pen holders fit in our Mooney ash trays?

52 minutes ago, daver328 said:

I am not sure ... I ordered the LED light ashtrays ... and they didn't fit my 65C ... they were larger than those small ashtrays. The J might be a different size than our C .... 

I have the lights from Spruce in my '66E. I think I recall that they came in 2 sizes... but I could be wrong.

IMG_20150608_202724669.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have removed my ashtray and am using the ashtray as a template to fabricate an iphone holder.  Aluminum box, lined with stick on velour or faux felt.  so far i've made one cardboard mock up and will make the aluminum version in the next couple weeks.  An actual airplane shop should be able to make it in a couple hours.  if you don't have the tools and inclination to use aluminum, then abs plastic which can be solvent welded would be a reasonable alternative.  

15 minutes ago, glenn reynolds said:

I have removed my ashtray and am using the ashtray as a template to fabricate an iphone holder.  Aluminum box, lined with stick on velour or faux felt.  so far i've made one cardboard mock up and will make the aluminum version in the next couple weeks.  An actual airplane shop should be able to make it in a couple hours.  if you don't have the tools and inclination to use aluminum, then abs plastic which can be solvent welded would be a reasonable alternative.  

I have my cell phone Velcro to the pilot sun visor for better signal reception and visibility (no direct sun light). I get Garmin Pilot WX at 10,000 feet.

José