Auto-Lean clearance sale

takair

I have a small number of Auto-Lean kits available at a discount.  The kits list for $899.00 and I have offered them at discounted prices to MooneySpace members in the past.  The price for the remaining kits, to MooneySpace members, is $650.00.  I am selling at a discount to make room for our soon to be approved AML-STC kit.  You can get more info at http://Www.flightenhancements.com or contact me.  These are STC-PMA approved kits for Mooney M20 A-J with in line mixture controls.  Quadrant equipped and turbocharged aircraft will be approved as a part of the AML-STC.

Thanks for your response.  Unfortunately, we have not had any takers from the Mooneyspace community, so any testimonials would be my own.  (I love the product and customer service, for what that is worth).  There was a nice write up of the experimental version in the January 2014 issue of Flying.  PM me for details. We also have not done much marketing, as we have concentrated on development, until now.  The pricing reflects a need for more operators, so that those willing to be implementers can provide testimonials and feedback.  It is a great opportunity to be the first at your airport to fly this certified product.  

The differences between this particular version and the AML-STC version are minor.  Physically, it is a slight difference in the quick disconnect link.  There was nothing wrong with the old link for the basic Mooney application, but I wanted a single version to be compatible with quadrant equipped aircraft, thus the change.  One other difference is the vernier disable mechanism.  I would include both with this kit.  The final difference is paperwork.  I have what feels like a ton of new paperwork backing the AML STC.  What the end user would see is a new Flight Manual and a new install manual.  The FAA seemed to step up the oversight with greater exposure, but it results in a better product.  These documents are essentially applicable to the old version, so would be available as reference.  

While we have had many enquiries, sales have not been anywhere near expectations.  I have been using versions of the system for almost 5 years and hundreds of hours.  I use it on every flight on an almost weekly basis.  It has been tested extensively on our M20E and is flying on a few experimentals.  It will work LOP on aircraft with tight GAMI spread or with a switch for those that don't. It is the perfect accessory to an engine analyzer.  Let Auto-Lean do the leaning, while you simply follow along with the analyzer.  I have had suggestions to add more sensors and sophistication, but that would drive cost up significantly and then we start competing with $10k FADEC systems, which have not gained much traction in GA.  With more users, the system can be evolved to provide further sophistication, if it provides value. The STC covers minor gain changes if a particular application requires it, but it is designed to be self adapting to various configurations....carbureted, fuel injected, turbocharged....

While I am certainly biased, the system provides a true value in simplifying your flying.  I don't think I am the only one who has been interrupted in the middle of the leaning process by radio calls, turbulence or most importantly...traffic.  The system was inspired by safety and efficiency.  Safety....proper leaning can keep your eyes inside the cockpit for as much as 5 minutes.  While you may look out between twists...time how long you are inside and then think of how fast traffic closure rates can be.  Efficiency....the idea actually occurred to me while shooting practice approaches.  I wasn't leaning correctly because things can happen so fast in setting up radios....ATC....maneuvering, etc......Now, I just click the system on and let it do its thing.  It is useful in climb, cruise and descent....every flight.  There are not many accessories, for this price, that provide active benefit during 90% of every flight.

For those near Connecticut, give me a call for a demo flight.  If not nearby, give me a call (or email) to discuss further.  At this price, I am giving them away.  The AML STC units will likely reflect the current list price (see Aircraft Spruce).  

Thanks

Rob Takacs

Flight Enhancements

• Like 1

Rob -- you should do a demo at our next fly-in. As one of those "quadrant" guys, I find it harder to lean than a vernier control just because the friction lock needs to be just right to avoid the prop from shifting a bit when adjusting the mixture. Not sure your system would address this but I find I spend more time than I should adjusting the mixture.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ShermAv8tor said:

Hi Rob, I am interested, however I may have to wait until after all the holidays. How effective is this system on the carborated C models? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is equally effective on fuel injected or carbureted engines.  Most aircraft behave in a very similar fashion with regard to the basic mixture control and displayed temperature.  The Auro-Lean software adapts to any slight differences.  This would be a great holiday gift for your Mooney.

I had a nice call from one of our MooneySpace members and we discussed Auto-Lean.  It is clear that the web site does not do a good job of explaining how easy Auto-Lean is to use.  I've decided to do some updates and started by attaching some slides in the "Operation" section.  I hope this new approach helps break it down to how simple it is to operate.  Your feedback is always appreciated.  http://www.flightenhancements.com/operation.html

24 minutes ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Hi, Rob.  For us LOP operators what could possibly be easier than the methods that we already use, which are leaning using the Target EGT method during the climb and by fuel flow for cruise?  Especially which combined with a vernier mixture control both take but seconds and are a joy to behold. 

Please don't take this as a criticism of your product.  Far from it.  If I owned a plane that wouldn't run LOP I would be very, very interested as finding peak EGT manually has always been a very tedious process for me.  I just don't see how it could get any easier than it already is for those of us who can run LOP.

Jim

Jim

Thanks for the note. i could not argue that for the configuration you describe, setting a fuel flow, it is easily accomplished manually. I personally change things and settings, depending on my mission.  If I am in a rush or into a headwind, I will routinely fly 100ROP, best power, with the power boost open.  If I have a good tailwind or flying locally, lower power settings, and I will use 25 ROP or LOP.  In a climb, I use target EGT, but I set it once and forget it.  It's not that leaning is difficult, to me it just takes away from some other things. The target audience are those who feel they don't take the time to lean properly using EGT or TIT.  It's just another way to get something done.  At an extreme end, I work with some people who are ready to pull all the controls and provide us with an iPad and map.  Touch the map and you end up on that spot.  I like the baby steps better. 

Rob,

I have been fascinated by this product and the fact that you developed it on an E is even better.

I'd like to know what Mike Busch's opinion is on it. By any chance has he weighed in on it?

Mike goes a bit beyond your hangar trained A&P (no offense to any of them intended here); e.g.,

Mike is a mathematician by training, having received his Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics from Dartmouth College, Magna Cum Laude, and elected to the Phi Beta Kappa society. While at Dartmouth, Mike did pioneering work in computer software development. He went on to do graduate studies in mathematics at Princeton University on a National Science Foundation fellowship, and graduate studies in business administration at Columbia University.

33 minutes ago, HRM said:

Rob,

I have been fascinated by this product and the fact that you developed it on an E is even better.

I'd like to know what Mike Busch's opinion is on it. By any chance has he weighed in on it?

Mike goes a bit beyond your hangar trained A&P (no offense to any of them intended here); e.g.,

Mike is a mathematician by training, having received his Bachelor of Arts degree in mathematics from Dartmouth College, Magna Cum Laude, and elected to the Phi Beta Kappa society. While at Dartmouth, Mike did pioneering work in computer software development. He went on to do graduate studies in mathematics at Princeton University on a National Science Foundation fellowship, and graduate studies in business administration at Columbia University.

I don't know if Mike is aware of it or what his opinion might be. Peter Garisson, whose writing I enjoy, wrote about the experimental version in Flying a couple of years back, (January, 2014, Technicalites), an article called Motorizing Mixture.  

13 minutes ago, peevee said:

I also have been fascinated with this project. I'm disappointed it isn't more popular. 

I am too, but I haven't given up.  A couple of years ago, Mac McClellan wrote a blog called Pilots Killed General Aviation FADEC advances.  I corresponded with him about it and discussed it with one of the principals of a now defunct FADEC company. It was a little discouraging, but my goal was to start with a less dramatic technology change.  The pilot is still in control of the end goal, without having to put in all of the work to get there.  An imperfect analogy might be automotive transmissions.  Automatic transmission is like a FADEC....you get what the computer gives you.  Standard transmission is fully up in the drivers control, with all its benefits and faults.  I look at Auto-Lean a little like paddle shifters, you still get to pick the gears, but you don't have to manage the clutch.  

• Like 2

Rob,

I was thinking the same thing. I actually watched Mike's leaning webinars (basic and advanced) today. His theory regarding leaning to CHT vs. EGT makes sense and I was curious as to how difficult it would be for this to lean ROP and LOP based on target CHT.

• Like 1

Leaning by EGT can take a long time if you don't have the fast acting EGT probes...

Leaning by CHT would take forever and a day and still would be susceptible to overshoot...

The lean to rough then come back a bit gives a hint to how people expect to manage the engine.  The rough methods will get you within a gallon or so of where you want to be...

Mooney pilots typically use a decimal point where other pilots are fine with +/- a gallon...

I typically use the FF gauge to get in the region of peak then twist the knob going through the final leaning stage. Twisting slowly if I need to be exact...  this is with fast acting EGT sensors on a JPI 700 series.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brandontwalker said:

I was thinking the same thing. I actually watched Mike's leaning webinars (basic and advanced) today. His theory regarding leaning to CHT vs. EGT makes sense and I was curious as to how difficult it would be for this to lean ROP and LOP based on target CHT.

The problem I see with using purely CHT are the other variables, mainly air cooling.  Leaning not to exceed a CHT is important, but you might manage this using speed and/or cowl flaps.  In some aircraft you may be asking your mixture to mask poor baffles.  The other issue is that you don't get enough resolution and the rate of change is slower. On my own aircraft, I just don't see much CHT spread due to various mixture settings and never come close to red line. I do see differences due to speed.  In a more sophisticated version of the system, we might use CHT to manage max CHT, but it might be tough to replace EGT as the control, which more directly reads mixture.  

One way to test the theory is to try it with your analyzer.  I suspect that those who use CHT are merely managing a not to exceed number using the mixture (400?).  This does not necessarily optimize mixture for power or economy, but simply to manage an overheating issue.  If you know the aircraft, you could still manage this with EGT...i.e. There is a relationship between EGT and CHT, so if 50 ROP EGT puts you over 400, use 75 ROP or go LOP.  

• 1 month later...

I have great interest in this, as far as engine management goes. I would like to see more video of the operation, I have seen the one on YouTube  but would like more information. What about people without fast acting probes or non fancy egt systems.  I have and older tetra 2 egt/ cht . Does this us its own egt probe, or are we to tap into the hottest probe? 

31 minutes ago, Shiny moose said:

I have great interest in this, as far as engine management goes. I would like to see more video of the operation, I have seen the one on YouTube  but would like more information. What about people without fast acting probes or non fancy egt systems.  I have and older tetra 2 egt/ cht . Does this us its own egt probe, or are we to tap into the hottest probe? 

Thanks for your note.  This system is even more likely to appeal to folks "without fast acting probes or non fancy egt systems".  The kit comes with its own probe, which is "nominal acting".  The probe is really a compromise between speed of reaction and long life.  We use an off the shelf probe from one of the other manufacturers.  The new STC, due approval next week, will allow use of faster acting probes, if desired.  Our proprietary software is self adapting.  The new STC will allow you to tap into the existing probe, if you desire, but I would suggest using the included probe for your install.  Most of the 4 cylinder Mooneys would install the probe in cylinder 3 for ROP operations.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                As far as a video, I am happy to get some more video of anything requested.  I probably have some raw footage, but it is much like watching paint dry.  The motion of the actuator is very difficult to see without time lapse.  The speed of motion mimics the response time of the probe and thus the human who takes the time to wait for the response of the probe.  The only time the movement of the actuator is really obvious in video is when it first starts to seek an initial temperature rise and after reaching peak, during ROP operation.  I have seen folks lean to peak, but not really wait for the full response time (really temperature saturation time) of the probe.  For example, if you were to just pull the mixture back at a rather rapid rate, you would see a peak temperature, but it would not be real.  That is the beauty of the Auto-Lean, it is very patient and does not get distracted.  This is not a problem for everyone, but I prefer to just watch the system do the work for me.  I don't know if you looked at the web site recently, but I did add some photos of the steps to use Auto-Lean.  Only one or two steps for any mode.    We are also working on an improved, more attractive, Vernier disable.  It is already flying and can be installed as a minor, but is not part of the STC yet.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          As a side note, I only have one of the original kits remaining and I think it will be sold today to somebody who has been calling.  I will have our AML-STC next week and I am taking pre-orders for the new AML kits which should be able to ship in February or March.  As another side note, if you go to our web site, you can also get a sneak peak at our new Auto-Heat system.  It finds and maintains desired cabin temperature.  It was a customer request, and I am happy with how it works.  Already working with the FAA on that.  It looks like they may consider this a minor alteration.  If that is the case, we will be taking pre-orders for those as well.                                

• Like 1

Even though I have been flying with Auto-Lean for a few years now, I still find new benefits.  There have been a number of threads regarding aggressive leaning on the ground to prevent spark plug fouling.  It just happens that the way the Auto-Lean actuator is rigged, you can slew the mixture to the lean stop (of Auto-Lean) for taxi.  It happens to be a setting that allows the engine to continue to run, but will limit your power noticeably if you attempted to take off without setting it rich.  In fact, I get a reminder to go rich during the mag check when I can't quite get there. One could even set the HOLD temp feature once leaned and the fault light would blink if you moved the throttle significantly, providing another reminder.  Just slew rich prior to takeoff.  One might even use the slew feature to find best power from the lean side of peak for high DA TO.  I have not tried this, as I am close to sea level and don't notice a huge difference. After landing, another opportunity to use this feature....one could simply slew to the lean stop once clear of the taxiway.  This was not an intentional design feature, but I have found it useful lately.  So now I have chock to chock utility.  Taxi, climb, cruise, descent, and taxi back. Just thought I would share this.  

• Like 1