SPOT Tracker on Sale

gsxrpilot

I've been using a SPOT Tracker for several years now and I know several other Mooney pilots do as well. If anyone was thinking of getting one, REI has them on sale at 50% off right now. You can find them on the REI website.

*I have no financial affiliation with this company, just a satisfied customer.

I'm probably going to make my first Bahamas trip in the upcoming year, so a PLB would be a benefit. To those who use a PLB - what are the pluses and minuses of spot vs the 406/121 MHz units. Seems like minus of the 406/121 is the ability to track and send text message, those 121/406 units are more suited to my needs as something akin to an ELT. Although the unit price is higher with those units, lack of subscription makes it cheaper after a year or two.

Fwiw I still have a 121 ELT- so something portable, GPS driven and operating on both frequencies seems like it would be the right choice for an infrequent user who doesn't want additional features.

Did I answer my own question?

edit: this might be more like one that would suit my needs. $230 no tax free shipping with a $50 mail in rebate until 12/31/16.  http://www.hodgesmarine.com/Acr-2881-Resqlink-Plb-Floats-W-O-Pouch-Usa-Can-p/acr2881.htm?gclid=CjwKEAiAmJvBBRDKpP724LigwngSJAAYRJXBydN87ypiPGiD3IwDXxLyAouUIKjwcLqxs8CxD-9ytRoC_Yvw_wcB&ppcstrkid=1565162769&click=19&ppcsclkid=CnYR6LWQ0NEy&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqeniramsegdoh

As always input is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have had a Spot since the Gen 1 units, which is still the one I've got. But when I saw the increase in annual fees to $150, and looked at the 406/GPS PLBs at Aircraft Spruce for $279 or so, I have decided to make the change. The Spot would be good if you were using the tracking feature to send your location to others during a trip, but FlightAware does that better already. And the Spot does have the advantage of user-changeable batteries. But if the use case is really just emergency location then I believe the PLBs will do as good or better job at a lower totalk cost of ownership.

Last year we bought a new full size epirb for a boat that some friends and I own.   The epirb came with a free resqlink plb so I stole it for the plane.  Fortunately I have not had to use it so I can't tell you how it works but it does give some additional measure of comfort.  I have flown to the Bahamas and hope to return soon.