Near misses a discussion for safe aviation

bonal

Where I work a gas and electric utility we operate in an extremely dangerous environment so the focus on safety is a number one priority. Safety meetings and daily tail boards are frequently heald to discuss procedure and also near misses.  My thought here is for us to take a moment to share your near miss events in flights you have made where things went south but you were able to have a safe outcome.

So often is the case when there is a tragic accident and the thread begins with speculation and comment but none of us were there so we really don't know what the causes were and what the pilot did to try to avoid the outcome. This thread is to provide first hand experience so we can all benefit form your close calls

The most salient circumstance was one that occurred shortly after I had ABS-B (GDL-88, and the GTNS, remote transponder, etc.,) installed. In fact I was returning to San Carlos from the avionics shop in Scottsdale that did the installation and new panel. Beautiful clear VFR weather so I opted for Flight Following. I was playing with the TIS-B traffic display north of Palmdale when I noticed an aircraft at my altitude on the exact opposite heading. I changed scale on the GTN 650 display to 6 miles, and then 2 miles, and the other aircraft was still at my altitude 8,500', but he should have been at 7,500' or 9,500' based on the hemispheric rule. I expected ATC to point out the traffic (very light ATC radio work), but they didn't call the traffic. At the one mile range the the other aircraft had me boresighted, and so I dove down 500' and watched a RV go overhead right where I would have been. I had my super bright landing light on (LoPresti Boom light), and my LED strobes, and wingtip landing lights on; alternating, but apparently the RV pilot didn't ever see me. I called ATC, and they told me they didn't see any other aircraft near me. Maybe he didn't have his transponder on, and the skin paint radar didn't register. No matter what, he was shown on TIS-B. Anyway I am a great enthusiast for TIS-B, and ADS-B in general. Since then, and because of TIS-B , I now "see" far more traffic than I thought was out there. Once I see the target on the screen it is far easier to spot another aircraft visually. With my current setup, both GTNs show TRAFFIC ALERT on their screens that are impossible to ignore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5