GTX345 not playing nice with Foreflight

wrench

Thought some of you considering this upgrade might find interesting.

Picked up plane on Friday after the ADS-b upgrade. Had GNS430 upgraded to WAAS for GPS source and installed a new GTX345. Paired up bluetooth on the iPad mini 2 with the GTX345 successfully and started the one hour flight home. I noticed Foreflight's screen was locked up after about 10 minutes into the flight and I could not zoom or move the screen. Also noticed iPad wouldn't calibrate straight and level from the GTX345 AHRS feed. Had other similar issues on the next flight with the combo such as the bluetooth link dropping out on Foreflight's devices page. Didn't spend a lot of time trying to trouble shoot in the air.

Contacted Foreflight support and they know of problems with the bluetooth linkage and are working to try and get them resolved with Garmin. As a interim measure Foreflight support suggests to me that turning Bluetooth off in Settings page of the iPad Mini2 and then back on is a temporary fix but it will happen again until this issue is worked out.

I don't know if other brands of EFB's are having similar issues maybe some of you can chime in on your combo's?

Otherwise the GNS430w and GTX345 combo is working nicely together and wished I could have done it sooner.

Bill 

• Like 2

The is a known problem with the Apple update to the iOS.  BT is unstable until the interface issue is resolved with Apple.

I have seen this issue with the GDL-39 as well. They said a fix was in the works and saw a firmware update yesterday for the GDL-39.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 10:30 AM, mike_elliott said:

I have not observed an issue with L3 Lynx, Ipad and FLyq. Perhaps next IOS "update" I can enjoy the pain you feel with Foreflight also.

Well, I stand corrected. FLYQ reset itself 2 times today. No temp issues, no other progs running, just simply shut down. I didn't have time to test wingx, but will soon.

On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 9:04 AM, wrench said:

Thought some of you considering this upgrade might find interesting.

Picked up plane on Friday after the ADS-b upgrade. Had GNS430 upgraded to WAAS for GPS source and installed a new GTX345. Paired up bluetooth on the iPad mini 2 with the GTX345 successfully and started the one hour flight home. I noticed Foreflight's screen was locked up after about 10 minutes into the flight and I could not zoom or move the screen. Also noticed iPad wouldn't calibrate straight and level from the GTX345 AHRS feed. Had other similar issues on the next flight with the combo such as the bluetooth link dropping out on Foreflight's devices page. Didn't spend a lot of time trying to trouble shoot in the air.

Contacted Foreflight support and they know of problems with the bluetooth linkage and are working to try and get them resolved with Garmin. As a interim measure Foreflight support suggests to me that turning Bluetooth off in Settings page of the iPad Mini2 and then back on is a temporary fix but it will happen again until this issue is worked out.

I don't know if other brands of EFB's are having similar issues maybe some of you can chime in on your combo's?

Otherwise the GNS430w and GTX345 combo is working nicely together and wished I could have done it sooner.

Bill 

This is why these devices are not approved for IFR flight or approaches. Always cross check with your VOR/ILS/ADF when using an iPad or any non FAA approved device.

José

I just got my 345 installed today.  I took the plane back from the shop but they had already closed.  Looked a little like rain and I wanted her back in the hangar.  As I was crossing the airport I got a new voice in my ear telling me traffic at ....  which was cool.

But I noticed when I got back in the hangar it was displaying NO 1090ES TX.  It was showing the squawk code.  According to the book that means ADSB isnt transmitting...

is that because I was on the ground or did they forget to hook up a wire or does it need to warm up ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I'm working with my avionics shop to schedule 345 install in February with Flightconnect.  Will add to my 530W and Aspen PFD.  I'm a pretty dedicated Foreflight user and he's telling me that Garmin's not supporting flight plan transfers from Foreflight to the 530W through the 210.  That's contrary to what's advertised on Foreflight's sight.

Are you 345 users getting flight plan transfers with your Flightconnect setups??

Hey guys,
I'm working with my avionics shop to schedule 345 install in February with Flightconnect.  Will add to my 530W and Aspen PFD.  I'm a pretty dedicated Foreflight user and he's telling me that Garmin's not supporting flight plan transfers from Foreflight to the 530W through the 210.  That's contrary to what's advertised on Foreflight's sight.
Are you 345 users getting flight plan transfers with your Flightconnect setups??

Based on what I see on the Garmin site, Flightstream 210 supports flight plan transfers from FF to a 530. The 345 has nothing to do with the flight plan transfers.

The last I heard the 345 does not support the Aspen interface to it. This been resolved? In other words, you won't see traffic or weather on the Aspen. They were working on it, but I believe it still is not done.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/in-the-air/general-aviation/connectivity/flight-stream-110-210/prod153681.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, bhilgy said:

My setup includes Aspen 1500 PFD/MFD, GTN 650, FlightStream 510, and GTX 345. I am able to transfer flight plans from ForeFlight to the GTN. I receive ADS-B traffic on my Ipad and the GTN but not on the Aspens. I am not able to display FIS-B weather on ForeFlight. I have emailed ForeFlight support and they say they are working with Garmin on this issue.

I am able to display traffic and Fis-B weather on Garmin Pilot. The database concierge for updating Nav data on the GTN is seamless through Garmin Pilot. No more taking the data card home and updating through a USB port. This only works if you have Fly Garmin data bundles not Jeppesen. The FlightStream 510 came with a one year free subscription to Garmin Pilot. With all of the recent updates to Garmin Pilot it is becoming a very strong competitor to ForeFlight especially for FlightStream users.

• 2 months later...
Anyone find a way to adjust/calibrate their gtx345 attitude ahrs data?  Mine shows a slight bank/pitch in level flight, and unlike the stratus, you can't calibrate attitude in foreflight.

Mine does also, some days worse than others. Before the 345 I used the stratus and it worked perfectly. I won't be renewing SV with my foreflight subscription.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

After using my GTX345R for a couple of years, I found out yesterday I am not getting attitude information on Foreflight.  I never really used it before on Foreflight but knowing I am supposed to have it and I do not have it, makes me want to fix it.  I am supposed to get AHRS I believe.  I have a remote GTX to the G-1000 with no configuration capabilities in G-1000 pilot mode.  Does anyone know if this is something I can set in the boot config?

Russ

• Like 1

@carusoam yes, my iPad Bluetooths to the GTX. I connect with weather and adsb traffic but no attitude.

@Ragsf15e I believe the non-r and remote models are the same but with the remote you have no configuration buttons and I think you have to boot your G-1000 into config mode to see any of the GTX config info.

Russ

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I put the gtx345R in last year in my M20G. Been loving it till this week. The BT connection keeps dropping. It’s intermittent which in my book is the worst scenario. Any thoughts out there ? I see this thread started in 2016.

Hoot,

This issue has been through many fixes....

From removing anything in the way of the signal coming from the tail....

To enhancing the signal with a repeater antenna(?)

Apparently the antenna in the tail is oriented 90° away from the cabin...

Be on the look-out for any insulation with an aluminum foil or sheet metal blocking the view of your devices...

Got any pics of your set-up?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1