Northern FL question

SharkBait

I'm New to Mooney Space but have been reading a ton on here.  You guys seem to know everyone in the Mooney world which is awesome.  I am in the process of purchasing my first airplane- have chosen a really nice 77 M20J and prebuy in progress.  I live in northern FL and am on a wait list for a T-hanger at Herlong (HEG) - so unfortunately I will have to tie her down outside for the time being.  Curious if anyone knows someone at a jacksonville local area that has some room for me for the short term?    Next question- I have been looking at lots for sale at Mount Royal air park (3FL0) just south of Palatka / Walatka area and am on the verge of pulling that trigger.  I just sold a house earlier this year in the Putnam area north of there but wasnt too thrilled with the area on the west side of the river.  I have read their bylaws at mount royal and know what I am up against-  Anyone know the place well enough to give some insight on the locals, fly ins, or gerneral attitude?  I make a lot of noise on football sundays and play music in my garage while wrenching on things... I dont want to be a black sheep right away... Ill be down there again on the 16th looking at a couple more lots.  Thanks in advance!

Jay

Welcome aboard! I am based out of Herlong. Just moved there recently after 5 years at Craig Airport. Put my name on a waiting list at HEG last December and they called me 10 months later. By coincidence, my hangar at Craig took some hurricane damage and it made my decision easy. For the same price I got a much nicer hangar at Herlong. They do have a community hangar at Herlong. Don't know what the cost and availability is for that but you could ask. The waiting list may not be 10 months as it was for me. I hear there are several Mooneys at Herlong but don't think anyone else is in Mooneyspace.

• Like 1

good input- so i talked to the guys up at Herlong.. apparently the wait list for the bulk hangar is the same list that I am on.  basically when that becomes available i can move to the bulk hangar and then from that point im waiting for a T-hangar.  the Bulk hangar is $200/mo.  Will they give you a hard time about keeping other things in your hangar like a small boat?

good input- so i talked to the guys up at Herlong.. apparently the wait list for the bulk hangar is the same list that I am on.  basically when that becomes available i can move to the bulk hangar and then from that point im waiting for a T-hangar.  the Bulk hangar is $200/mo.  Will they give you a hard time about keeping other things in your hangar like a small boat?

I don't know. Been there for a month only so still feeling out the rules. I had to sign a lease agreement but did not read it thoroughly. I have heard they are a bit picky on the rules. My hangar neighbors have the usual (fridge, couch, recliners, work bench, etc) but have not seen anything like a boat. I can tell you that at Craig airport they could care less what you keep in the hangar as long as you pay your rent.

I'm right west of both of you over at 24J. Hector and I have already met up, but we;ll have to get together and get a group Mooney picture.

I pay $160/mo for my hangar, but I live in the sticks. Read that lease, I just went back and found in the fine print that mine auto-renews in the middle of the year and I am liable for payment if I don't want to cancel, so if I move anytime in the near future, I need 6 months written notice.

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

I'm right west of both of you over at 24J. Hector and I have already met up, but we;ll have to get together and get a group Mooney picture.

I pay $160/mo for my hangar, but I live in the sticks. Read that lease, I just went back and found in the fine print that mine auto-renews in the middle of the year and I am liable for payment if I don't want to cancel, so if I move anytime in the near future, I need 6 months written notice.

"Evergreen" clauses have been the mainstay of business contracts for years now. Fool me once....