Avidyne IFD Question-User Waypoint

For those familiar with the system, what is the most efficient way to enter a user waypoint on the fly in the Avidyne using as distance/bearing from a waypoint in the database?

i am envisioning  a scenario like being instructed to hold at a poiint that is a certain distance from a VOR such as , say, the 12 mile fix on the XYZ VOR 120 degree radial.

thanks.

24 minutes ago, midlifeflyer said:

I'm not sure either is particularly "intuitive" on this piece ;)

I'm looking for a step-by-step for the Avidyne. I have the simulator so I can play with it then.

FMS, WPT, (give it a name if you want), NEW, (enter lat/long, or) FORMAT (for rad/distance.) 

In the GTN you create the user wpt. Then use it in your flt plan. I personally find this approach much more intuitive. 

1 hour ago, N1395W said:

Why not just use OBS mode and the distance to the fix (i.e., "old school")?

This is how I would do it for a hold. It's unlikely that a controller would ask you to proceed direct a radial/dme that doesn't have a published fix (other than by flying the radial to the point- I'm a controller, I certainly wouldn't issue such a clearance). So entering a user waypoint for this isn't really necessary for navigation. Upon reaching the point you could create a rubber band waypoint and program a hold on it in the FMS, that's easy to do but maybe not perfectly accurate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PTK said:

Have to enter new wpt and reformat the default lat/lon new wpt to radial/distance. 

Definitely not as effortless and intuitive as the GTN.

This is how I practice it on the GTN. Create a user waypoint using radial/distance, give it its own name, plug it in to the flight plan (or go Direct) and punch in "HOLD".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ohdub said:

This is how I would do it for a hold. It's unlikely that a controller would ask you to proceed direct a radial/dme that doesn't have a published fix (other than by flying the radial to the point- I'm a controller, I certainly wouldn't issue such a clearance). So entering a user waypoint for this isn't really necessary for navigation. Upon reaching the point you could create a rubber band waypoint and program a hold on it in the FMS, that's easy to do but maybe not perfectly accurate.

It has been my experience that a radial/distance wpt is given on a clearance with the radial typically being a victor airway and the distance being a point short of an airspace out of his/her control. Example, I routinely get a cleatance to CYN 226/11. I have programed it in my GTN as CYN22611 and just use it when I need it in my flight plan. This point is conveniently on V1 just short of KACY Charlie. Although it's on V1 the clearance expects me to fly to that wpt and not to CYN and then on V1 out 11 miles. 

As usual, Die Hard Garmin people want to make the IFD sound like its so hard to use.

Step 1. Press FMS to take you to WPT page

Step 2. Press NEW

Step 3 Press the Lat/Lon button. This changes the changes the waypoint entry from Lat/Lon to Rad/Dist. You can now enter the FIX, RADIAL & Distance you desire.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...