ADSB and iPads...

DMJones

More new guy questions:

Looks like the 231 will pass the PPI, all good so far.  But now would be a great time to make the ADS B upgrade.  The plane has a Garmin GTX-327 transponder, and a Garmin 430W.  I'm told that all I need now is the GDL88 box, and I'm all set.  And it looks like I can get the Garmin Pilot App or the Foreflight App and see stuff (Wx and traffic) on those, as well as the 430.  But it's really not clear to me..

So, Which App?  Foreflight or Garmin?  iPad best tablet? Mini or full-size.

Tell me what you know.

Thanks in advance.

dj

Just now, teejayevans said:

If you want to fly above 18000', you'll need a different transponder?

TeeJay is correct- if you want to fly above FL180 (its a K- of course you will) you'll really want to go with the GTX-330 ES transponder.  The GDL-88 is not allowed to be used FL180.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, N1395W said:

TeeJay is correct- if you want to fly above FL180 (its a K- of course you will) you'll really want to go with the GTX-330 ES transponder.  The GDL-88 is not allowed to be used FL180.

I have had my 231 for 16 years and never been above 18,000. I do not have the ES transponder. If I should decide to sell my plane, it would cost the new owner about the same amount it would cost me now, to switch transponders. So I opted not to do it now.

• Like 2

I fly a 252 and found the mini iPad was far better since the full size was too big on the yoke - which is where I felt it belongs - the same place I originally clipped paper plates.
But I would not bother with the 330-ES transponder anymore, it's been obsoleted by the new 345 which is a 1090-ES transponder that includes ADS-B in TIS-B and FIS-B (wx and traffic) and has Bluetooth to provide those services plus position and backup ADHRS to your iPad. You can get a Garmin rebate on them right now as well. Check it out.
Which iPad app you pick is purely personal preference except Garmin Pilot has more international coverage options and supports Jeppsen charts if that is appealing. So try them both using their free 30 day trail periods and you decide which you prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kortopates said:

I fly a 252 and found the mini iPad was far better since the full size was too big on the yoke - which is where I felt it belongs - the same place I originally clipped paper plates.

Do you have the ipad mini mounted sideways ( landscape ) or upright ( portrait)?  I agree the ipad air  I have is a too big for the yoke and am going to purchase a mini just for this.

What mount are you using?

• Like 1

I use the fully articulating MyGoFlight set up. With that set up I have been know to switch between landscape and portrait - both work. But I probably use portrait the most. It's an expensive system but very versatile. Plus I move back and forth between my yoke mount and onto my thigh when I fly in students aircraft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

More new guy questions:
Looks like the 231 will pass the PPI, all good so far.  But now would be a great time to make the ADS B upgrade.  The plane has a Garmin GTX-327 transponder, and a Garmin 430W.  I'm told that all I need now is the GDL88 box, and I'm all set.  And it looks like I can get the Garmin Pilot App or the Foreflight App and see stuff (Wx and traffic) on those, as well as the 430.  But it's really not clear to me..
So, Which App?  Foreflight or Garmin?  iPad best tablet? Mini or full-size.
Tell me what you know.
Thanks in advance.
dj

No wrong answers between iPad Mini/iPad Air and Foreflight/Garmin Pilot. All good.

If you have fat fingers or fly ham-fisted the iPad Mini may suit you better but my tired old eyes prefer the 48% larger screen of the iPad Air which still fits comfortably inside my leather wrapped yoke. My wife reads Kindle books on her Mini on the right yoke mounted higher for reading comfort (see pic for comparison). The older iPads (prior to Air) are too wide.

70cba192f1153142394b4a910e190ee1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

With the leather wrapped Ovation style yokes, the iPad Mini fits perfectly and doesn't even need a mount. Here it is in my previous Mooney without any mount. It sits very securely. I'm in the process of fabricating a new mount for the unwrapped yokes in the K. Stay tuned for pics. 

BTW... ForeFlight now has every public airport in the world in its standard database. It's passed up Garmin Pilot for international flying, if you ask me. But it certainly is a feature race and I'm sure neither Garmin nor ForeFlight are slowing down in that race.

IMG_0067 (1).jpg

• Like 2

With your current avionics I'd put in the GTX345 regardless of desire to fly above 18k.  I also had GTX327 and 430W, upgraded last week and couldn't be happier.  Should cost about $6000 including the roughly 10-15 hours of install, programming, testing, & paperwork.

Edited by Ragsf15e
  • Like 3

If I hadn't mentioned it before, this forum is awesome....

Forgot to mention that if you installed a FlightStream 210 at the same time, you will be able to upload and download flightplans from either ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot to the 430W you have. Why this is nice is that you don't have Victor airways in your 430W database. This will allow you to load them on the app and upload the routing to the 430W. Cool feature.

• Like 3

Avionics is like crack. I WANT a Flightstream 210 for the single feature of flightplan sharing but am having a hard time of justifying the ~$1,500 installed cost for that alone. 90%+ of my flights don't include Victor Airways in the clearance and when I DO get them it's easy enough to simply copy the necessary waypoints from Foreflight into my GNS manually. And as NextGen gets rolling I expect to see even more "direct" clearances. Did I mention that I really WANT a 210?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Forgot to mention that if you installed a FlightStream 210 at the same time, you will be able to upload and download flightplans from either ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot to the 430W you have. Why this is nice is that you don't have Victor airways in your 430W database. This will allow you to load them on the app and upload the routing to the 430W. Cool feature.

33 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You will already have the AHRS from the 345 but you need the 210 to upload flightplans. Either way you will have it on your IPad.

4 minutes ago, cnoe said:

Avionics is like crack. I WANT a Flightstream 210 for the single feature of flightplan sharing but am having a hard time of justifying the ~$1,500 installed cost for that alone. 90%+ of my flights don't include Victor Airways in the clearance and when I DO get them it's easy enough to simply copy the necessary waypoints from Foreflight into my GNS manually. And as NextGen gets rolling I expect to see even more "direct" clearances. Did I mention that I really WANT a 210?

It's even worse for me right now, as I can roll all of this stuff into the purchase, and not have to drop a bundle on the upgrade.  I'm going to need to discipline myself to avoid getting everything I'd like to have, but really don't need.  

Or not.

It's even worse for me right now, as I can roll all of this stuff into the purchase, and not have to drop a bundle on the upgrade.  I'm going to need to discipline myself to avoid getting everything I'd like to have, but really don't need.  

Or not.

You need to assess the kind of flying you will be doing to make the right investments. It is easy to go overboard and not get full utility of the investments.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Marauder said:

You need to assess the kind of flying you will be doing to make the right investments. It is easy to go overboard and not get full utility of the investments.

That's great advice, and what I'm attempting to do with my tiny knowledge base (thanks again for the advice, my base is a smidgen bigger today).  I do have a great window right now for upgrades, so I want to make the right ones.

I shuttle back and forth between my home in metro-Atlanta and Northern Idaho, so I'm thinking flight above 180 is likely.  I'm also going to need an iPad, so I think one of the apps will work, as far display of all the data.  And it does look like the 430W will show what I need as well.  The 231 will also be a platform for my son to build hours, and I might just use it for fun on pretty days.  :-)

First day of ground-school today on the Mooney, so I'm going to make my instructor's ears bleed with questions...

• Like 1

That's great advice, and what I'm attempting to do with my tiny knowledge base (thanks again for the advice, my base is a smidgen bigger today).  I do have a great window right now for upgrades, so I want to make the right ones.
I shuttle back and forth between my home in metro-Atlanta and Northern Idaho, so I'm thinking flight above 180 is likely.  I'm also going to need an iPad, so I think one of the apps will work, as far display of all the data.  And it does look like the 430W will show what I need as well.  The 231 will also be a platform for my son to build hours, and I might just use it for fun on pretty days.  :-)
First day of ground-school today on the Mooney, so I'm going to make my instructor's ears bleed with questions...

If that is your intended mission, I would get the RTX-345, the FlightStream 210 and either Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight. It will take care of the squitter requirement for flights in the flight levels, give you traffic and weather on both the 430 and the iPad app. And being a 430W owner, the ability to upload flightplans into the 430.

• Like 1

Also, if you are not familiar with these apps, take each one for a test drive. Both have a 30 day trial subscription. I had both running on my iPads for a couple of years and ForeFlight never clicked with me. I am on Garmin Pilot and happy with the functionality.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Marauder said:

If that is your intended mission, I would get the RTX-345, the FlightStream 210 and either Garmin Pilot or ForeFlight. It will take care of the squitter requirement for flights in the flight levels, give you traffic and weather on both the 430 and the iPad app. And being a 430W owner, the ability to upload flightplans into the 430.

21 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Also, if you are not familiar with these apps, take each one for a test drive. Both have a 30 day trial subscription. I had both running on my iPads for a couple of years and ForeFlight never clicked with me. I am on Garmin Pilot and happy with the functionality.

I think that's the plan.  I'm going to call the avionics place tomorrow for a quote...

Thanks again to all