Aircraft With Parachutes

jax88

Ironic that the topic of aircraft equiped with ballistic recovery systems (a parachute) came up in the thread about the possibility that MAC may be sold to foreign investors.  My brother phoned me the other day to ask if I had seen the story about the crash involving one such aircraft in my "old stomping grounds".  I can't argue with the advantages that having this type of safety feature can provide, BUT, I wonder how often a pilot has or will jump to release the chute instead of focusing on proper emergency procedures?

http://www.ktre.com/Global/story.asp?S=13685382

I guess the call to use the 'chute will depend on the situation and how much the pilot loves the airplane. From what I've heard, a 'chute landing pretty much totals the plane and is pretty rough, so assuming the pilot of the plane loves his Cirrus as much as we love our Mooneys, if he thinks there is a good chance for a traditional dead stick landing, I think he/she would pick that over just pulling the red lever. On the other hand, I can think lots of scenarios where I would elect to pull the 'chute.

My concern about the BRS is, does it encourage pilots to fly in risky conditions they would not otherwise fly in?

"My concern about the BRS is, does it encourage pilots to fly in risky conditions they would not otherwise fly in?" - Dave

Initially, I would say it is human nature to accept more risk with more tools in your tool box.  For instance, I might consider flying at night more than I do now.  (what do you call fear of engine out landings in the dark?)

But this thought....:  "'chute landing pretty much totals the plane" might keep serious risk taking in check.

Fortunately you live, but for most of us our flying career has probably taken a major holiday....

Accident reports (by now) should indicate if there is an increase in VFR into IMC, or CFIT: (serious risk takers).  The cohort may be biased, and not able to separate out Cirrus drivers from Cirrus drivers with parachutes, though....

Thinking out loud,

-a-

Quote: GeorgePerry

Since the insurance business makes its livelihood by measuring risk, I’m curious if anyone knows what it cost to insure a $200,000 SR-22 as compared to a $200,000 M20R.  I wonder how our beloved Mooney and the Cirrus stack up against each other in the cost of premiums.

Quote: GeorgePerry

Since the insurance business makes its livelihood by measuring risk, I’m curious if anyone knows what it cost to insure a $200,000 SR-22 as compared to a $200,000 M20R.  I wonder how our beloved Mooney and the Cirrus stack up against each other in the cost of premiums.

Here is the Price list for BRS.  It looks like one for a cessna 182 cost about $21,000 and weighs about 85 pounds.  They are claiming 258 lives saved to date. I think they used to have a couple of videos on their web site of the saves.  I've seen a few on U-Tube also.

www.brsparachutes.com/files/brsparachutes/files/BRS%20Retail%20Price%20List%202010%20PDF.pdf