Ovation flap operation

Cruiser

How do the electric flaps work in the long body mooneys?

The electric flap switch in the Ovation is UP, T/O and DOWN.

The flaps are operated by an electrical motor driven actuator connected to the jack shaft. Each flap pivots about four hinges. Travel is controlled by limit switches and UP stops located at the outboard hinges.

I assume the limit switches (in the belly near the actuator/jack shaft) are normally open and close on contact with the jack shaft to stop the motor. However, if the front micro switch is made (closed) the flap switch will not lower the flaps to T/O position. They will lower if the switch is put in the full DOWN position and they will retract to the T/O position with the switch moved to the T/O position and they will retract to the UP position with the switch.

If the front micro switch is open, the flap switch operates normally, but this condition effectively eliminated the micro switch since it is in the open position all the time. (all flap switch combinations) 

Confused???????

I would be confused if a tried to follow the logic...

I have the T/O position seem to give the most challenge.

Follow this logic....

you want T/O position. But nothing happens...

select down position, until the flaps arrive at the T/O position.  Then select T/O position.  The flaps are in position, and the motor isn't running...

No, I don't recommend this.... It only seams to work that way, until you can get the switches cleaned...

Any thoughts?

Best regards,

-a-

i had some work done on mine and after it came out of the shop there were only two positions, all the way up and all the way down.   A temporary, but again not recommended, solution would be to pull the breaker when they were in the t/o position.  I didn't like that idea too much and had them fixed quickly.