San Carlos or Palo Alto?

I've only flown into the area a couple times and I always went to SQL.  The runway is about 150' longer and the gas always seems to be cheaper, currently about $0.24/gallon cheaper.  Assuming you land on 30, transient parking is a right turn off at the end and then straight ahead.  The diner and office are in the building right by parking.

My parents lived in the Bay Area for many years and the wind almost never blows out of the E or SE.  SFO almost always uses the 28's for landing and either 28's or 01's for departures.  I can't remember the last time they used anything else.

Bonal,

KHWD has a GPS, localizer and a VOR approach.  I just looked them up on WingX.  See if you can familiarize yourself with these things.... it's a tool you could use, if you new how, and the situation required It of you...

knowing these things will make you less pure VFR....:)

Best regards,

-a-

Another consideration is KLVK if the weather is down across the bay.  I can't tell you the number of times the weather is bad in the Bay and literally stops at the ridge line just west of LVK.  We are in VFR frequently when the whole bay is sacked in

14 hours ago, carusoam said:

Bonal,

KHWD has a GPS, localizer and a VOR approach.  I just looked them up on WingX.  See if you can familiarize yourself with these things.... it's a tool you could use, if you new how, and the situation required It of you...

knowing these things will make you less pure VFR....:)

Best regards,

-a-

Actually I posed the question as a way of sugesting to the OP that HWD could be a suitable alternative and could check the approach options there.  I look at approach / departures on Fore Flight all the time and find them fascinating.

• Like 1

I live in San Jose, CA. Traffic here can be awful. I would get as close to your destination as possible. Driving from Livermore to Palo Alto could take 2 hours if you hit it wrong. Many times if it's IFR the ceilings are > 1000' so any would probably do. 

I just noticed I made a typo in posting my cell number. I have corrected it. There is taxi /limo service at the airport, and with prior arrangement Hertz will bring out a car. Cal Train to San Francisco is an easy walk. All in all, good facilities (including repair at the San Carlos Flight Center) here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For VFR ops, I chose PAO.  There's a little more room under the Class B (4000msl vs 1500) and the ever-present marine layer squeezes you between the Class B when above it and terra firma when below it.  Though, probably better weather now that fall is here.  The marine layer will bunch up against the hills on the east side of the bay, but generally leaves room for a VFR descent into PAO once clear of the cloud deck.  Sometimes, NORCAL will clear you into the Class B, sometimes not.  And, they might dump you off to tower with very little time to make a radio call before busting the PAO Class D so watch for that.  I've never been yelled at, but have listened to PAO tower deliver wrath on others.  There's the Moffett Class D on the south side to watch for.  Winds are generally blowing, but down the runway so runway length is not really a problem.  I've never landed to the south at PAO, ever.   

2 hours ago, larryb said:

I live in San Jose, CA. Traffic here can be awful. I would get as close to your destination as possible. Driving from Livermore to Palo Alto could take 2 hours if you hit it wrong. Many times if it's IFR the ceilings are > 1000' so any would probably do. 

Agreed, My friends live between the 2 (Redwood), I prefer not ask them to have cross bridges either. I can change my arrival time if required, also since we're going down to Monterey, I could fly into Salinas, forget Monterey AP, too much $$$. IFR might be easier, both airports look like they're busy, PAO even more so.

1 hour ago, Bennett said:

I just noticed I made a typo in posting my cell number. I have corrected it. There is taxi /limo service at the airport, and with prior arrangement Hertz will bring out a car. Cal Train to San Francisco is an easy walk. All in all, good facilities (including repair at the San Carlos Flight Center) here.

Thanks, I don't need transportation. 

Been to SQL once, got yelled at for not clearing the runway fast enough, and the departure clearance was so long my radio cutout on readback thinking I had a stuck mic.

Typical departure clearance at KSQL: " Mooney XXXXXX After takeoff maintain runway heading, within 2 miles from the airport turn right to a heading of 120 degrees, climb and maintain 2000' until crossing the Oakland 165 radial, then climb to xxxx feet, expect yyyy feet 5 minutes after departure, squawk zxxx, departure frequency: 135.65

• Like 1

Since WingX offers DPs as an option to add to the route...

So I looked up DPs for KSQL.... no surprise there are none...

Then I went to an airport that I know does have some... KMMU...  Morristown, NJ...

I pushed the button to add the DP.  It proceeded to show the DP like a piece of paper.  Apparently no electronic waypoints go with that..?

I was thinking that it was going to edit my flight plan inserting waypoints and altitudes...

My DP experience goes back to the paper days...

Does the GTN and other navigators have DPs integrated into them!

Thank you and best regards,

-a-

I was impressed with PAO a few weeks ago. Rossi transient parking. Helpful staff, the ramp seemed to be a free for all but everyone was really nice. Reminded me of just a good old school airport. Met a fellow Mooney driver up there. Walking distance to 2 restaurants, we ate at the golf course.  Two thumbs up.

SQL is fine too, but I would get as close to where you need to be as possible. 

Have a great trip!!

-Matt

Edited by MB65E