Airport in Houston area

My wife and I will be flying to Houston in December and need a recommendation for a reasonable airport. We are staying in the Galleria area and will be renting a car.

Sugarland looks like the best bet based on fees, but I'd like opinions from those who know.

Edited by flyboy0681

Not currently in Texas but did some flying up and around houston when I was in Corpus so take for its worth. Its been a year or two. 

Ease of flying Sugarland David Wayne and Hobby take the trophies. Hobby surprisingly loved GA and were extremely accommodating. 

David Wayne is probably a little farther North than you want to be. 

West Houston is right on I10 and a straight shot to the Galleria. Easy to get to driving but prices tend to be higher. 

My wife and I will be flying to Houston in December and need a recommendation for a reasonable airport. We are staying in the Galleria area and will be renting a car.
Sugarland looks like the best bet based on fees, but I'd like opinions from those who know.

Sugarland is probably your best bet considering location, fuel cost, and amenities. Call ahead to confirm tie-down or hangar space though. They may be a bit stuffy catering more to corporate aviation. West Houston is more of a GA field but fuel is high there and fewer amenities. Houston Executive is a bit further west but seems hungry for business. Hobby gets really busy in the mornings and evenings being a SW hub with international flights too. You may recall a novice Cirrus pilot who crashed there recently trying to interface with traffic and distractions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Let me preface my recommendation by saying I am not very familiar with Houston.  However, I traveled there a couple of months ago and flew into Hobby.  It was an approximate 12-15 minute Uber ride to downtown.  The Millionair FBO and its staff were great.  Fees were very reasonable as well.  Icing on the cake was that there is a full (complimentary) bar upstairs with a veranda overlooking the ramp.  It will be my "go to" on any return trips to Houston.  I only saw one other piston aircraft during my visit to Hobby.  It was a Mooney. 

IMG_4900.JPG

IMG_4904.JPG

Edited by Brandontwalker
  • Like 4

Let me preface my recommendation by saying I am not very familiar with Houston.  However, I traveled there a couple of months ago and flew into Hobby.  It was an approximate 12-15 minute Uber ride to downtown.  The Millionair FBO and its staff were great.  Fees were very reasonable as well.  Icing on the cake was that there is a full (complimentary) bar upstairs with a veranda overlooking the ramp.  It will be my "go to" on any return trips to Houston.  I only saw one other piston aircraft during my visit to Hobby.  It was a Mooney. 
IMG_4900.JPG
IMG_4904.JPG

That's a great pic (your Mooney on the ramp; not the beer)!

Keep in mind that Hobby is a fine airport in the middle of a dense metropolitan area. That may or may not influence one's decision to go there. But if you plan to land during busy times be prepared to "fly it like you stole it"!

16 hours ago, Zwaustin said:

Advanced Auto Rental is onsite 281-492-2130

Also have enterprise, hertz and avis within 5 miles of the field. 

Do they leave cars with the FBO or will they have to pick me up and take me back to the office, which is always a pain.

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 5:37 PM, flyboy0681 said:

Just wanted to throw another thought at you.  All of the airports mentioned are good.  I hangar at KDWH.  They have Enterprise onsite.  Also, I know they have a few T-Hangars open and they would probably work a deal to keep your plane in one for the week.  It is probably the farthest of the ones you are looking at but it is right next to the new Grand Parkway Toll Road.

Russ 

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

Do they leave cars with the FBO or will they have to pick me up and take me back to the office, which is always a pain.

I have a place there and have a car so I have never needed a rental. Give them a call, they are helpful and can get you set up. This airport is much closer to Galleria area than hooks or sugarland which is why I recommended it. I am sure they can have the car waiting for you. It is a 24H fbo. 

5 minutes ago, Yetti said:

Also depends if you are north or south of Gallaria...   If South like Bellaire you may try Houston Southwest  https://www.airnav.com/airport/KAXH

I avoid loop 610 west like the plague

I'll be checking into the Marriott West Loop and staying for two nights before launching for New Orleans.

So many options. If it were hot I'd say go to KSGR or KHOU since heading to New Orleans you'll be vectored at or below 2,000' for a long time on departure; leaving these would expedite your departure (especially KHOU). But since it should be cool you might get a kick out of flying the downtown corridor on your departure which would be available leaving Hooks, West Houston, or Sugarland; it's a great view. KAXH is a good airport but not necessarily convenient to the Galleria.