It was hard...but I kept quiet!

PTK

Just now, cliffy said:

Now to throw gas on the fire-  

You are at 12000 with a PD to 8000 clearance. You stay at 12000 for some time and then decide it's time to go down.

DO YOU CALL CENTER AND SAY "Mooney XYZ    OUT OF 12000 FOR 8000" or do you just start down without saying anything?

I make the call. Just did that Sunday when Center told me where my destination was (12:00 and a bunch of miles) and that I could start down. Watching the ETE, I was prepared to start down in ~90 seconds, so I told them I was planning to start down in a couple of minutes. It was quiet, so I called starting my descent and was acknowledged.

5 minutes ago, cliffy said:

You are at 12000 with a PD to 8000 clearance. You stay at 12000 for some time and then decide it's time to go down.

DO YOU CALL CENTER AND SAY "Mooney XYZ    OUT OF 12000 FOR 8000" or do you just start down without saying anything?

According to the regulations, you are supposed to announce leaving an altitude.

According to ATC people I've talked to, if you're in radar contact, they don't care.

• Like 1

OK, Low time pilot here;

I use "with you" in two situations.

1) FSS call up so they know what frequency I'm calling on "Raleigh Radio, Mooney XXXX with you on 122.6

2)  If I'm with a controller on one frequency and that controller asks me to switch to his other frequency I will check in Mooney XXXX with you on xxx.x

If I'm wasting time with "with you" please tell me now before I can't get it out of my head!

Just now, Marcopolo said:

OK, Low time pilot here;

I use "with you" in two situations.

1) FSS call up so they know what frequency I'm calling on "Raleigh Radio, Mooney XXXX with you on 122.6

2)  If I'm with a controller on one frequency and that controller asks me to switch to his other frequency I will check in Mooney XXXX with you on xxx.x

If I'm wasting time with "with you" please tell me now before I can't get it out of my head!

1) FSS call up =  "Raleigh Radio, Mooney XXXX  on 122.6"

2)  controller asks me to switch to his other frequency = "Mooney XXXX back"

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

And as for with you, what do your other halves say. You know you suddenly chat to this controller and say im with you (implies you are not with your spouses).  I know for a fact mine would get VERY jealous. :P    

All the more reason to leave out "with you" . . .

• Like 1

Getting back to the OP PTK took the higher road.  sadly Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge and any others translates to aiviation. And truly a Bonanza is a fine airplane but those that fly mooneys know we are the alpha so dont have the need to try to pump ourselves up by bravado speak to others.  

• Like 1

On 11/2/2016 at 8:50 AM, TWinter said:

Wow..This all started with a little poke with a little jab at us Mooney drivers. Now we've turned into rules, regs, blah, blah...and should we say " Good morning", I always do and when I leave freq I also say, " Thanks for the help ".

PTK, good tongue bite..The Bo guy is probably still thinking, " Gee, I wonder if I sounded like a pompous ass?, the Mooney guy did not even reply".

Sometimes the best reply is the one not said :) I think your reply of no reply was the best reply..lol

-Tom

In my experience pompous asses are what they are and are oblivious.  Good for you to not validate Mr. Clever.  You know you fly a beautiful plane.  That is enough...or should be.  I have Zero bad Mooney piloting stories (based on observations).  I have multiple Brand B stories as an "eye witness"...Just say'n.

I know there is one new B pilot that is a "Class Act"...