It was hard...but I kept quiet!

PTK

I was up flying the other day talking to McGuire and they handed me over to ACY. They were busy but managed to find a break and announce with my call: "good morning atlantic city mooney 910BU with you level at 6." 

Took him a few seconds because he was busy. He comes back: Bonanza 910bu good morning...Atlantic city altimeter...etc etc. I politely acknowledged back and corrected: "...mooney 910 bu altimeter... and I'm a mooney m20p." He of course acknowledged back"mooney 910bu..."

Then out of nowhere a wise guy comes on the frequency with a wise ass remark: Bonanzas are cooler than Mooneys!!!:angry:

Now...I do want to report to my Mooney brethren that, commensurate with being a Mooney pilot, I exhibited extraordinary restrain by taking the high road and refrained from answering!!! What would you have done?

On a broader note this illustrates how important it is for us to remain vigilant and guard our Mooney legacy against those who want to knock us! They're out there! Envy is a formidable force and can have unpredictable consequences! Never underestimate the opponent! :D

• Like 9

On a busy freq, not responding was the right choice.

Iv'e been called a Baron by ATC, thanks to a nice tailwind!  :P  But like you, I corrected him and passed on the opportunity to report "inbound on one engine." But I did look out to see if a second one had appeared . . . 

If it's not busy, you can always respond that you go just as fast on a third less fuel.

Edited by Hank
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, PTK said:

I was up flying the other day talking to McGuire and they handed me over to ACY. They were busy but managed to find a break and announce with my call: "good morning atlantic city mooney 910BU with you level at 6." 

What exactly does "with you" mean?  Are you as one with ATC?  Point is, especially on a busy freq, common wisdom is to drop the extraneous verbiage.  Only a Bonanza driver would say "with you".

• Like 3

What exactly does "with you" mean?  Are you as one with ATC?  Point is, especially on a busy freq, common wisdom is to drop the extraneous verbiage.  Only a Bonanza driver would say "with you".

Could skip the " good morning" and "at" as well. Especially since you are almost forcing the to respond with good morning as well.

42 minutes ago, neilpilot said:

With you means with you.

22 minutes ago, teejayevans said:

Could skip the " good morning" and "at" as well. Especially since you are almost forcing the to respond with good morning as well.

I always say Good morning or whatever is appropriate when I arrive on their frequency and always "thank you for your help" when I leave.

• Like 2

Just now, PTK said:

With you means with you.

I always say Good morning or whatever is appropriate when I arrive on their frequency and always "thank you for your help" when I leave.

90 percent of the time you can skip the altitude too, once mode C is verified it really doesn't need to be verified again in that facility. This probably isn't one of those times. But no one cares anyway. Having something ahead of the callsign is kind of good, it works as a buffer so you don't clip the front half your tail #

Edited by peevee

14 minutes ago, peevee said:

90 percent of the time you can skip the altitude too, once mode C is verified it really doesn't need to be verified again in that facility. 

Is there an AIM or FAR paragraph suggesting pilots omit altitude reports on checking in after a frequency change within a facility?

I always say good morning (or what is appropriate) and check out thanking for their help. It may not be necessary or it may even take time away from the frequency, but I strongly believe in courtesy and in thanking people for a job well done... It also works as somebody says before as a nice buffer...

The world is already tough and often harsh, so let's add a little bit of love... :-)

Oscar

• Like 9

28 minutes ago, Jerry 5TJ said:

Is there an AIM or FAR paragraph suggesting pilots omit altitude reports on checking in after a frequency change within a facility?

It's covered in Jo 7110.65. Key word being interfacility. From one sector to another intrafacility it is unnecessary 

5−2−17. VALIDATION OF MODE C
READOUT
Ensure that Mode C altitude readouts are valid after
accepting an interfacility handoff, initial track start,
track start from coast/suspend tabular list, missing, or
unreasonable Mode C readouts. When an X is
displayed adjacent to the Mode C, the Mode C
altitude readout must be validated after the X is no
longer displayed in the data block. (CTRD equipped
tower cabs are not required to validate Mode C
readouts after receiving interfacility handoffs from
TRACONs according to the procedures in Para 5-4-3,
Methods, subpara a4.)
a. Consider an altitude readout valid when:

1. It varies less than 300 feet from the pilot
reported altitude, or
PHRASEOLOGY−
(If aircraft is known to be operating below the lowest
useable flight level),
SAY ALTITUDE.
or
(If aircraft is known to be operating at or above the lowest
useable flight level),
SAY FLIGHT LEVEL.
2. You receive a continuous readout from an
aircraft on the airport and the readout varies by less
than 300 feet from the field elevation, or
NOTE−
A continuous readout exists only when the altitude filter
limits are set to include the field elevation.
REFERENCE−
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 5−2−23 , Altitude Filters.
FAAO JO 7110.65, Para 5−14−5 , Selected Altitude Limits.
FAAO JO 7210.3, Para 11−2−3 , Display Data.
3. You have correlated the altitude information
in your data block with the validated information in
a data block generated in another facility (by verbally
coordinating with the other controller) and your
readout is exactly the same as the readout in the other
data block.
b. When unable to validate the readout, do not use
the Mode C altitude information for separation.
c. Whenever you observe an invalid Mode C
readout below FL 180:
1. Issue the correct altimeter setting and confirm
the pilot has accurately reported the altitude.
PHRASEOLOGY−
(Location) ALTIMETER (appropriate altimeter), VERIFY

Edited by peevee

Wow..This all started with a little poke with a little jab at us Mooney drivers. Now we've turned into rules, regs, blah, blah...and should we say " Good morning", I always do and when I leave freq I also say, " Thanks for the help ".

PTK, good tongue bite..The Bo guy is probably still thinking, " Gee, I wonder if I sounded like a pompous ass?, the Mooney guy did not even reply".

Sometimes the best reply is the one not said :) I think your reply of no reply was the best reply..lol

-Tom

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, TWinter said:

Wow..This all started with a little poke with a little jab at us Mooney drivers. Now we've turned into rules, regs, blah, blah...and should we say " Good morning", I always do and when I leave freq I also say, " Thanks for the help ".

PTK, good tongue bite..The Bo guy is probably still thinking, " Gee, I wonder if I sounded like a pompous ass?, the Mooney guy did not even reply".

Sometimes the best reply is the one not said :) I think your reply of no reply was the best reply..lol

-Tom

true, but try posting this on POA.  We'd be on page 5 and on the third or fourth FAR/AIM or mooney/beech pissing contest.  

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, rbridges said:

true, but try posting this on POA.  We'd be on page 5 and on the third or fourth FAR/AIM or mooney/beech pissing contest.  

This is so true. I rarely post on POA anymore. So many expert opinions and drama.

-Tom

• Like 1

The Air Traffic Control structure is an interesting mix... we've got professionals hauling passengers and cargo, fighter jets transiting to and from controlled airspace, instruction being accomplished at all levels and in the middle of it all: the civilian GA pilot in a personal aircraft.

its so tempting to fall into those "comm traps", but we all share the same frequencies!  Major Kudos on taking the high road, PTK!

• Like 1

A few weeks ago, I was flying into Edenton, NC. After Charlotte, most of western NC is very quite except a little blip around Raleigh and Fayetteville. The last hand off is to Waaaashington Center which is usually quite busy. So busy that if VFR, I just drop off before the last handshake. On this particular flight, I was switched over and the freq was so busy, I could barely get my call sign in. Then an American captain came on freq and gave his cabin speech over freq instead of in cabin. And it was the longest one I ever heard, including his 40 years of military training, full name, personal history, etc...on and on and on. It was the funniest thing I ever heard on the radio, and immediately followed by dozens and dozens of jabs and he-ha's at the poor captain. I had landed before I could even check in with center. 

• Like 1