Speed brakes

Vlakvark

On my 84 J they are the vacuum-powered speed brakes and are anodized red.

If you have to have the engine or the standby electric vacuum pump running to activate them, they are 99% sure to be vacuum powered. The vacuum diaphragm is in a unit in the belly of the plane and activates two cables, one running to each speed brake. The cable can typically be seen in the wheel well for each of the mains.

If all else fails, you can remove the inspection panel below one of them and see if it has a cable or electric wire running into it, but as Anthony states, there should be a section in the POH with them. Mine show up in the "Supplemental Data" section.

• Like 1

Electric speed brakes did not exist when the M20K's were produced. But speed brakes were not standard on the 231, unlike the 252, so many were added to 231's after they left factory and could be vacuum or electric. All 252's were factory equipped with vacuum. Good chance the Encores coming years later are electric. By now I suspect we are seeing vacuum speed brakes replaced with electric ones since the rubber vacuum canister is unobtainable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, kortopates said:

.... By now I suspect we are seeing vacuum speed brakes replaced with electric ones since the rubber vacuum canister is unobtainable emoji19.png

For just a slight up-charge.

Brittain has said they can provide the rubber diaphragm but have yet to deliver any. A 252 at my home drome is on the list since his are INOP at this point.

• Like 1

Sort of in keeping with manual gear and hydraulic flaps, when Speed Brakes were added to N943RW in 1997 the owner chose manual Speed brakes by Precise Flight Inc STC SA5708NM. The actuator is the lever on the floor, beside the trim wheel.

We lube at annual but have never had to do more. I wonder what experience other owners of manual SB have had?  

IMG_20150608_203151419.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pritch said:

Mine are hydraulic on my 84K, but they are PowerPac Spoilers, from Spoilers Inc.

Pritch

Interesting, I have not seen any of the PowerPac Spoilers on a Mooney - perhaps they were done via a field approval. They appear even more expensive than Precise ones too. Turbo Plus did make a identical looking hydraulic hinged brake for the Mooney years ago. I have only seen one installation.  

Edited by kortopates

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 3:06 PM, KLRDMD said:

They are vacuum on my 1985 231 that's about 10 from the last serial # made.

I'm really amazed at that. I thought mine were factory. I will have to go back through my logs. Sorry for the spread of erroneous info

2 hours ago, kortopates said:

Interesting, I have not seen any of the PowerPac Spoilers on a Mooney - perhaps they were done via a field approval. They appear even more expensive than Precise ones too. Turbo Plus did make a identical looking hydraulic hinged brake for the Mooney years ago. I have only seen one installation.  

tmp_20129-spoilers-AFMS5316806.pdf   this is from a thread last yr on MS

Pritch

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 5:39 PM, kortopates said:

Finally had time to pick up my log books after my annual and they are definitely Spoiler Inc. 'BUT' the hydraulic power pac has a TurboPlus sticker on it.

Pritch

Finally had time to pick up my log books after my annual and they are definitely Spoiler Inc. 'BUT' the hydraulic power pac has a TurboPlus sticker on it.
Pritch

Interesting, it's looking like Turbo Plus speed brakes were originally Spoiler Inc brakes.
No wonder they were expensive though since they automatically retract in a stall and at approx 2/3 of full throttle. Our Precise speed brakes sure don't do that.

On ‎11‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:34 PM, kortopates said:

Interesting, it's looking like Turbo Plus speed brakes were originally Spoiler Inc brakes.
No wonder they were expensive though since they automatically retract in a stall and at approx 2/3 of full throttle. Our Precise speed brakes sure don't do that.

I have now added checking the spoilers to my check list. I deploy them during my walk around and lift the stall switch and down they go.

Pritch

• Like 2

• 1 month later...