Adware hack

Hey all,

Are you seeing this on a desktop environment or on mobile devices?  

I am shocked that people with ads disabled are seeing this.  I will investigate our ad networks.  It could be that just the base code they run is doing this even if you are not seeing ads.  I will drop any networks that are doing this.

I keep ads enabled on my account so I can watch over them - I have never seen anything like this.  Also note that other apps on your device - especially mobile can do this outside of Mooneyspace.

@MyNameIsNobody - if you have donated in the past year please send me a PayPal transaction ID and you will be upgraded.  I cannot find record of this.

Happens on my iPad, most recently just a few minutes ago. There's no escape from it, Back won't work. I just close the tab and open a new one. Happened on my Samsung Galaxy phone today at lunch, too . . .  :angry:  Durned idiot hackers!

you noobs should just get adblock...  people actually see ads still?  ;)  Aside from the annoying pop overs you cant close etc etc.  They are a leading attack vector for malware.  BLOCK ADs!! 

to mooneyspace.  sorry, but ad's are no longer a viable business plan.  If the ad guys hadnt been such scumbags then maybe it would be ok, but they are scum.  full page popovers, flash BS, malware, totally irrelevant ads, the same ad 4 times on one page, autoplay videos, not to mention the orwellian tracking done by these guys.

Im all for paid services.  Free to read, pay to post or something along those lines.  or 5 posts for free so you can lure the new people in and they can see the great community. 

And after all this bashing I suppose I should subscribe ;)  This forum is worth it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheTurtle said:

you noobs should just get adblock...  people actually see ads still?  ;)  Aside from the annoying pop overs you cant close etc etc.  They are a leading attack vector for malware.  BLOCK ADs!! 

I use Adblock Plus and haven't see an embedded ad in years.

Speaking of popups, remember the X10.com pop-under, circa 2001? It was the worst annoyance on the web and promoted all the browser company's to create popup window blockers.

Just now, flyboy0681 said:

I use Adblock Plus and haven't see an embedded ad in years.

Speaking of popups, remember the X10.com pop-under, circa 2001? It was the worst annoyance on the web and promoted all the browser company's to create popup window blockers.

hah yea I remember.  for the most part those full page popups on a new browser window have gone away.  Some sites you'd go to and all of sudden they spam 5 new browser windows.  good times!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/30/2016 at 6:22 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Us Supporters don't have to deal with adds. Chip in and you won't either.

Yes and no, I just noticed that some text is highlighted and it links to websites that have nothing to do with Mooneys... I thought that by being a contributor we would be "shielded" from these things. They are kind of annoying.

7 minutes ago, Oscar Avalle said:

Yes and no, I just noticed that some text is highlighted and it links to websites that have nothing to do with Mooneys... I thought that by being a contributor we would be "shielded" from these things. They are kind of annoying.

That's more likely a problem with an add-on that got installed in your browser.  Search for "Text Enhance" in Google and you should see a variety of sites with guidance on how to get rid of it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bennett said:

I am getting so many ads I am ready to give up on Mooneyspace. I contribute every year. Adblock doesn't stop the damn obnoxious ads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might also have some malware.  Have you tried logging into Mooneyspace from a different computer or device?

2 hours ago, mooniac15u said:

That's more likely a problem with an add-on that got installed in your browser.  Search for "Text Enhance" in Google and you should see a variety of sites with guidance on how to get rid of it.

Thank you I followed your suggestion and the issue has been resolved.

Oscar

• Like 1