Unpublished Holds

Kristoffer

Since there is so much debate and misinformation between the Garmin GTN & Avidyne IFD here is another video I made showing how you can fly an unpublished hold with the Avidyne. I searched for a video showing how to fly unpublished holds in the GTN and after my head stopped spinning I fell asleep. I was shocked how difficult is was with the Garmin unit and how easy it is with the Avidyne.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

Since there is so much debate and misinformation between the Garmin GTN & Avidyne IFD here is another video I made showing how you can fly an unpublished hold with the Avidyne. I searched for a video showing how to fly unpublished holds in the GTN and after my head stopped spinning I fell asleep. I was shocked how difficult is was with the Garmin unit and how easy it is with the Avidyne.

I did a quick check, the videos you watched were with the old software, with v6 it's infinitely easier.

Notice the shallow menu. It takes one button push to get to the hold page which contains the very large buttons to setup the hold parameters. Intuitive and user friendly. Notice also the superior high def graphics. Makes the Avidyne look like MSDOS!

2 hours ago, daver328 said:

Is there a way to do this with our GNS-430W? Anyone know?

The way I do it on my GNS 530W

Direct to the holding waypoint

If need to hold along a radial press the OBS and dial in  the radial.

Unpublished holds have no specific holding patterns.

José

On 10/29/2016 at 4:30 PM, Kristoffer said:

Enjoy!

Difficult?? Not at all, nor should you need the "advanced" holding feature of the GTNs or Avidyne. Its as simple as what Jose describes above. Plus its how you should be able to one on your own to be proficient enough to get a IPC signoff. It will work with just about any GPS because its the same way we did it with VORs (except we can do it on any GPS waypoint as easily as if it was a VOR).

The only reason IMO that the "advanced" holding feature of the GTN's and Avidyne are even useful is to allow your autopilot to fly them for you; assuming you have the rest of the hardware to do so. But hopefully you have learned how to hand fly them (i.e. how to enter a hold) maintain proficiency before you rely on your AP.  

I am certainly not meaning to pick on any one but its critical for all of flying in the system to know how to use our equipment, and not become dependent on it.

I had this same problem when I was doing the training for my ATP. We were coming to a hold and I drew a picture of the hold and started to write the headings and such on the paper, the instructor asked what I was doing, I told him I was figuring out the hold. He looked at me kind of strangely and said "nobody does that anymore" and he showed me how to do it on the 530. 

You see being a cheap bastard I've never flown a garmin before the ATP training, My Mooney is /A and I can fly you anywhere you want to go that way IFR. I found operating the 530 to be the most stressful part of the whole ordeal! 

On one of the approaches with a diversion I got all twisted up on the 530 and didn't know what to do so I just gave up on the Garmin and just spun the VOR on the King. I immediately figured out where I was and what to do and compleated the procedure without the 530. The examiner smiled...

it seems that with all this automation we are all forgetting how to fly IFR....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, N201MKTurbo said:

I had this same problem when I was doing the training for my ATP. We were coming to a hold and I drew a picture of the hold and started to write the headings and such on the paper, the instructor asked what I was doing, I told him I was figuring out the hold. He looked at me kind of strangely and said "nobody does that anymore" and he showed me how to do it on the 530. 

You see being a cheap bastard I've never flown a garmin before the ATP training, My Mooney is /A and I can fly you anywhere you want to go that way IFR. I found operating the 530 to be the most stressful part of the whole ordeal! 

On one of the approaches with a diversion I got all twisted up on the 530 and didn't know what to do so I just gave up on the Garmin and just spun the VOR on the King. I immediately figured out where I was and what to do and compleated the procedure without the 530. The examiner smiled...

it seems that with all this automation we are all forgetting how to fly IFR....

Don't feel bad.  I spent 20 years on the DC9 steam gauges.  When I moved over to the 757/767 I had many times when I couldn't figure out how to get the plane to do what I needed it to do by pushing buttons, at least not quickly enough.  It was easier for me to turn off the magic and fly the plane by hand.  Amazing how easy flying is when all you need is a hand full of yoke and a handful of throttles.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2016 at 10:33 AM, daver328 said:

Is there a way to do this with our GNS-430W? Anyone know?

No, the ability to create a holding pattern off any waypoint is not built into the 400/500 series. It wasn;t even originally in the GTNs. As @Piloto said, best you can do is create the inbound course using OBS mode. (although I don't think I agree that unpublished holds have no specific holding patterns - they have the holding pattern ATC instructs - of course, I may have misunderstood him) .

1 hour ago, Pictreed said:

On the Avidyne the one thing I was having a problem with is getting to the page that allows the dat of the hold to be edited. 

I tried to explain it on the bottom of the page here 

Pictreed,

I show it in the video but simply go to the FMS page and expand your flight plan to be full screen.