Century31 Autopilot

Vlakvark

Good day folks. I'm having issues with my Century31 Autopilot. Keeps heading but up and down pitches with electrim "on". I took it down to Texas to a buddy of mine to look and see if the servos was faulty. Could not find any fualt. Also. The autopilot is not flying an approach. It pitch a 500' min down and capture a glidepath. Is there any buddy that has a spare unit that I can use to see if it the controller head. I know somewhere they said is to take it to the avionic shop where century factory is. Its not that easy for me to get there. I'm North of the border. 

Thank you

I have the Century 31 and had exactly the same problem. It turn out to be caused by the A/P disconnect (red push button switch) wiring on the yoke. The wire was chafing inside the yoke behind the logo plate. I removed the switch and wire and problem solved. I never used the red push button switch. Check for chafing on other wires.

José

• 4 months later...

I have come up with a new autopilot issue. If Im on the ground and testing the heading bug in the heading mount. I will have the heading bug center on the top. Not touching anything and engage the autopilot for the ground test. The HSI turns by itself anti clockwise with out moving the bug that was center in the middel. Any ideas?  

• 2 weeks later...

Another cause for the pitch hiccups is the elevator servo clutch wearing out. As the clutch wears out the servo is unable to move the elevator consistently due to the aerodynamics forces on the elevator. This can be check on the ground by pulling on the yoke while the AP is on ATT mode. If the force required is not much more than without the AP engaged then the clutch is worn. You can adjust the clutch coupling force by tightening the shaft castle nut (clockwise) on the servo. I have mine adjusted all the way tight. It fixed the hiccups. The servo clutch does not engage/disengage like a car clutch, it is there to allow control override by friction. Actual servo engage/disengage is by electrical power to the motor.

José