spanish proffiency

MPL(977)

hello

i am trying to find out, if i want to obtain my cpl in spain do i need to do a spanish proficiency exam at the end of my training in order to obtain the license or do i have to do any icao spanish exam ?

appreciate feed back ''

thank you

Edited by MPL(977)

Welcome aboard MPL.

English happens to be required for most pilots.  I haven't seen a Spanish or other 'local language' requirement.  

It would be crazy to not have the local language skills.  We get that often(?) in the US with foreign pilots struggling to give a position report around airports.

There is a thread on English proficiency that has some input you might be interested in.  Our European Mooney brothers were discussing language requirements a while ago.

use the search box at the top of your browser to see what you can find.

You can always get started training, with your flight instructor being responsible for the radio communication.

Private pilot ideas, I am not a Certficated flight instructor...   PP not CFI...:)

Best regards,

-a-

thank you very much

yes i undrstand the need for english proficiency, i obtain an icao level 5, but ive heard here and there if you want to obtain a license in spain that before obtaining your license considering your not a spanish citizen both english and spanish proficiency has to be aquired,

will search for further topics , thnx for the advice :D

Go to the airport, find a CFI, ask his/her thoughts...

Typical MooneySpace approach to problem solving.  Go, see, ask, start a conversation...

There is so much to know.  A conversation would be the way to find out how much there is to know.

If you need to learn a new language to safely fly a plane, it is worth it!

Best regards,

-a-

In Europe and Latin America English and the native language is spoken at major international airports, also at enroute centers. But at regional small airports the native language is the one spoken. A good example of the above is when overflying Cuba. As you approach Havana FIR everything is in English but once inside Cuban airspace they only speak to you in English but in Spanish to other non American planes. Even if you speak Spanish fluently you need to be familiar with the Spanish aviation terminology. Here are some terms: 

http://blog.aopa.org/vfr/?p=819

In some of these countries you must have your flight plan stamped by a bunch of fees collectors before you depart. In Manaus Brazil they charged me $20 for just two spray shots from a small insecticide can to kill American bugs in my plane. After seeing the Brazilian bugs there is no way an American bug will make it there.

José

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Up here in Canada, in Québec and the Ottawa region of Ontario, both French and English can be used by pilots and controllers and are also legal for testing and exams.

In all other parts of the country, English is the only language of aviation and although the introduction of French in the bilingual regions was an hard fought battle, it is now accepted by the majority.