pirep on willmar air service?

peevee

We're talking about a plane in willmar with a broker, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to take it to willmar flying service for the PPI.

I think we're all a little nervous about using a shop in the same small town as the broker. Maybe Oasis or Red Wing would be a better idea?

I tried calling both phone numbers listed on their website this morning   I'm looking for some parts   Both lines appear disconnected.  A quick google search and I found the news article I pasted below.  

http://www.wctrib.com/news/local/4032779-city-willmar-may-terminate-contract-airport-fixed-based-operator

2 hours ago, peevee said:

We're talking about a plane in willmar with a broker, and I'm wondering if it would be safe to take it to willmar flying service for the PPI.

I think we're all a little nervous about using a shop in the same small town as the broker. Maybe Oasis or Red Wing would be a better idea?

If it's the one owned by Paul Beck, I think that would be a great place.  If they were the one's doing the annual, it's generally a good idea to have new eyes examing it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rbridges said:

If it's the one owned by Paul Beck, I think that would be a great place.  If they were the one's doing the annual, it's generally a good idea to have new eyes examing it.

They were not, but with the broker being on field it makes me nervous to use a mechanic on field also

Are you buying a plane through Tim? I bought Brian Negen's M20C through Tim. Brian was the previous owner of the MSC in Willmar. I had Paul and Eric do the pre-buy and they did a pretty good job. Tim is also a pretty great guy to work with. 

Just now, klystron said:

Are you buying a plane through Tim? I bought Brian Negen's M20C through Tim. Brian was the previous owner of the MSC in Willmar. I had Paul and Eric do the pre-buy and they did a pretty good job. Tim is also a pretty great guy to work with. 

thinking about it, if the price comes together.

1 hour ago, kpaul said:

I met the Oasis Aero guys at the Mooney Summit.  They did a fantastic maintenance seminar, they know their Mooney's.

Same here. I liked EVERYTHING they had to say. I understand the possible conflict being on the same field but after talking with these two guys for a while and doing the Mooney walk around with them I would feel very comfortable with them doing the prebuy.

• Like 2

The independent PPI makes a great guideline, up to a point...

It protects the buyer from a few unknowns like the people that are doing the maintenance and the people doing the PPI and the procedures that each follows.  It helps when the buyer doesn't know much about the people, product or process...

It is less helpful as a guideline when you know the people, the process and the mooney.

A PPI is still a necessary step because corrosion and so many other issues can go wrong since the last annual.

Ordinary PP ideas not a mechanic or airplane sales guy.

Best regards,

-a-

I have had most of my maintenance done at WAS since 2009 when I bought my Mooney.  Bruce owned WAS at the time.  Brian Negen bought WAS from Bruce and Eric worked for Brian in the shop for about a year.  He did one annual on my plane back then and did a good job.  I am very picky about my maintenance people for the Mooney because I have had more than one try to kill me, in flight emergencies that could have been prevented are not alot of fun, none of the people out at Willmar ever have.    More recently, Eric got his IA.  Paul did my tanks 8 years ago and there still are no issues.  I would highly recommend either of them.  That said, I understand the concerns about feeling that you are getting a truly independent pre-buy.  Eric has a great deal of integrity, we grow them that way in rural MN, so I would not have any issues myself.  However, there is another ex-employee of Bruce's out in western Minnesota.  I have never used him.  His name is Jason Dosher and I understand he knows his stuff.  He is in Benson, MN and that is all I know.  

Someone said that Oasis, Eric and Paul's new company, is an MSC.  I am not certain because I have not been out there since they started Oasis, only talked to Eric on the phone, but I don't think they are an MSC, at least not yet.  They are a new company and Brian Negen was going to be operating out of a different hangar at Willmar for awhile, so I am pretty sure he would keep the MSC designation.  I would not let that stop me.  

Just now, jlunseth said:

Someone said that Oasis, Eric and Paul's new company, is an MSC.  I am not certain because I have not been out there since they started Oasis, only talked to Eric on the phone, but I don't think they are an MSC, at least not yet.  They are a new company and Brian Negen was going to be operating out of a different hangar at Willmar for awhile, so I am pretty sure he would keep the MSC designation.  I would not let that stop me.  

Yes they are a Mooney Service Center.     http://mooney.com/en/Support.html#Centers

One thing about Paul and Eric is there straight shooters. When you hire them to do a survey of an aircraft it wouldn't matter if it was there best friends plane you were interested in. They work for you and will do a great job informing you of the strengths and weaknesses of a particular plane.

Paul as others mentioned has a great tank re-seal business and Eric is also a Cfi if I remember right. Great guys. There that's my shameless plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After Homecoming last week, I flew up to Willmar and dropped my plane off for a complete tank reseal.  There were 5 or 6  airplanes in their heated hangar.  I had allowed several extra days in case weather was an issue getting to Willmar.  There was no weather, so I got to Willmar on Monday Morning.  We, therefore, had several days to see Minneapolis.  What do you do in Minneapolis for several days?  Why see the Mall of America, of course.  

After a short discussion, Paul gave us his truck.  He had another client coming in on Friday, and he said they could drive the truck back.  We drove the 2 hours to a point near the airport and I fortuitously took the wrong exit.  By doing so I accidentally found the Country Inn that just happened to a short walk to the Mall.  They also provided shuttle service to the airport.

Shirley and I walked miles during those 2 days last week and got to know the Mall pretty well.

I'll be heading back in a couple of weeks to pick up my plane.

Bottom line: So far those are great guys.  They will be taking over another hanger next month, as they are now a Mooney Service Center.

PS:  We had lunch with Bruce Yeager last Monday.   He was working in another hanger doing an interior.

Paul Beck is good and a new MSC as noted.

However, you also have Jason Doscher who used to work at Wilmer a decade ago under Bruce. He runs his own shop in Benson, BBB a short hop away from Wilmar.  He preformed my prebuy on the Missile which turned into an overhaul and annual.  I fully reccomend him and when I need a reseal, I fully trust Paul.

Two great shops who know each other well.

http://jed-aireaviation.com/

The airports are 25 NM apart.  

-Seth

7 hours ago, donkaye said:

After Homecoming last week, I flew up to Willmar and dropped my plane off for a complete tank reseal.  There were 5 or 6  airplanes in their heated hangar.  I had allowed several extra days in case weather was an issue getting to Willmar.  There was no weather, so I got to Willmar on Monday Morning.  We, therefore, had several days to see Minneapolis.  What do you do in Minneapolis for several days?  Why see the Mall of America, of course.  

After a short discussion, Paul gave us his truck.  He had another client coming in on Friday, and he said they could drive the truck back.  We drove the 2 hours to a point near the airport and I fortuitously took the wrong exit.  By doing so I accidentally found the Country Inn that just happened to a short walk to the Mall.  They also provided shuttle service to the airport.

Shirley and I walked miles during those 2 days last week and got to know the Mall pretty well.

I'll be heading back in a couple of weeks to pick up my plane.

Bottom line: So far those are great guys.  They will be taking over another hanger next month, as they are now a Mooney Service Center.

PS:  We had lunch with Bruce Yeager last Monday.   He was working in another hanger doing an interior.

Probably saw it then. Was up yesterday looking at a k

On 10/29/2016 at 7:03 PM, Seth said:

Paul Beck is good and a new MSC as noted.

However, you also have Jason Doscher who used to work at Wilmer a decade ago under Bruce. He runs his own shop in Benson, BBB a short hop away from Wilmar.  He preformed my prebuy on the Missile which turned into an overhaul and annual.  I fully reccomend him and when I need a reseal, I fully trust Paul.

Two great shops who know each other well.

http://jed-aireaviation.com/

The airports are 25 NM apart.  

-Seth

+1 for Jason Doscher in BBB. Not only is he a Mooney expert but he's very particular and cuts no corners. He pointed out a laundry list of engine install mistakes that were made in Willmar when looking at it for a mag issue. I will say Brian agreed and made it right by correcting all the issues but I lost faith in the shop (I think I still have that list). Jason does all my work now and I highly recommend him. His shop may not be a a MSC but 90% of the work he does is on Mooneys. He's a one man shop and I like knowing he is the only guy working on my airplane. I've heard very good things about Pete and Eric but Jason has given me no reason to look elsewhere.

• Like 1