What is right?

Ario

Please excuse me for bringing this subject up in this technical forum. But the problem arises when I think about the Mooney. 

Not really expecting a definitive answer. But may be some thoughtful answers help me settle a little.

I see some people that spend their life for aviation but they may not be able to afford a good airplane like a Mooney. I saw a gentleman last year in our airport in Toronto who was looking at the Mooney I use and said he cannot afford it. He was a very nice gentleman, much older than me, and probably a lot more in love with flying, I could see it.

Every time thinking about it, I feel almost sick. The Mooney is a good airplane and good pilots deserve flying it. I probably don't have one tenth of the aviation experience that gentleman had, and I felt ashamed. ...

I'm not looking for a justification. With average justifications we hear everyday in our society, the problem will not resolve.

Please share with me if you have a really thoughtful answer. 

Thanks.

• Like 1

The best we can do is to all make an effort to share our good fortune and love of aviation with others. Do some young eagles flights, or angel flight or just a take friends up. That's what you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, Ario said:

Please excuse me for bringing this subject up in this technical forum. But the problem arises when I think about the Mooney. 

Not really expecting a definitive answer. But may be some thoughtful answers help me settle a little.

I see some people that spend their life for aviation but they may not be able to afford a good airplane like a Mooney. I saw a gentleman last year in our airport in Toronto who was looking at the Mooney I use and said he cannot afford it. He was a very nice gentleman, much older than me, and probably a lot more in love with flying, I could see it.

Every time thinking about it, I feel almost sick. The Mooney is a good airplane and good pilots deserve flying it. I probably don't have one tenth of the aviation experience that gentleman had, and I felt ashamed. ...

I'm not looking for a justification. With average justifications we hear everyday in our society, the problem will not resolve.

Please share with me if you have a really thoughtful answer. 

Thanks.

Yeah... I don't really have an answer for you other than trying to share a flight as much as you can with anyone that is interested when the opportunity arises. I had an older gentleman in the hanger next to me who owned an experimental. He commented when I moved in that he drools every time he sees the J when the door is open. We never got to fly and I offered on more than one occasion...

His family moved the plane and his stuff out last month--something about moving to Wyoming but I feel that wasn't the real reason. Too bad we can't create a "No Cost"--share a flight--application that won't run afoul the FAA's "holding out" rules towards flight sharing when we know that we'll go up in a few hours for a lap around the local area... Many times, I go up alone after offering a ride to a relative, friend or my favorite airport bum and they are all too busy because of the short notice.

Regards... Jon

• Like 2

Life is all about choices.  I truly believe that if you truly set goals...any goals (within reason) they can be achieved.  With sacrifice and adjusting what funds are spent on ANYONE can become a pilot and ANYONE can be a part owner in a vintage Mooney.  Envy is a sin, but setting a goal and achieving it...especially a lofty goal that can take years to fulfill is supremely satisfying.  I envy no man/woman, but I respect those that achieve through perseverance and intellect.  Those that choose a vintage Mooney over other birds are wise...in my eyes.

• Like 2

You are a very decent person Ario with that sort of empathy. It would be a much better world if there were more like you.

I can't add much more than the good advice already given except that if you see him again then offer him a ride. You'll no doubt make his day and yours too.

Victor

• Like 3

Thanks Greg (gsengle) for the suggestion. You seem to have given the best advice so far, and most people agree with that. 

Thanks everyone for your replies. I sometimes need to be reminded. Will do my best to accommodate it.

And thank you Victor. I hope I see him again and recognise him (although I'm not sure). He's not the only one though. But the "Give Back" advice folks agreed on was pretty appropriate. 

• Like 3