G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

6 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Ah, thank you. Clearer.

@Alan Fox provided me with a KEA-130A and KAS-297B for part of the avionic work I am currently undertaking. He also provided me a Sandia Quattro 340 so I was able to remove the stand-by vacuum pump in the tail of my plane (net UL gain of 12 lbs.). I still have the engine vacuum pump for my speed brakes, but I have yet to hear of a Mooney falling out of the sky due to not being able to use its speed brakes, so I believe I am safe.

So with what Alan provided and a bargain on an Aspen with SV and AOA, my panel will closely resemble the left side of @gsxrpilot's panel with the difference being my EDM 830 and gauges vs. his EDM 900. I lose my vacuum powered avionics and have the Sandia as a battery operated backup. Doing all of that, having years of excess wire removed, and a 406 ELT installed should yield a little bit more UL than just the stand-by pump removal. If I had gone ahead with the EDM 900, I would have had a new panel cut, but that will have to wait for an avionics reserve refill.

Now, for your options, have you considered the IFD 550 vs. the 540? I am unfamiliar enough with them to be able to identify the differences, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to provide some information. And if you did not already have the EDM 830, I would highly recommend the 900, but such is life.

And what did you use to make the graphic?

Do you have a pic of @gsxrpilot panel.  I did look for one but couldnt find it.  

So is the general feeling that Aspen still have some life in them, ie tn years or so, or would it be more prudent to do the radios which i HAVE to do due to regs over here, and then wait a year or so to see what else pops out into the stc field?

3 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

So is the general feeling that Aspen still have some life in them, ie tn years or so, or would it be more prudent to do the radios which i HAVE to do due to regs over here, and then wait a year or so to see what else pops out into the stc field?

Not if you speak to Peter Garmin. It is all gloom and doom according to him. I am not at all concerned about Aspen's viability. Everytime I visit an avionics shop, I see another one being installed. Garmin will continue to chop away at their market with the G5 but it is a self fulfilling prophecy if they go to far with the capabilities. Put too much into the G5, then you lose potential TXi sales. Put too little in, you lose out to Aspen and others. 

I have flown with mine for the past 5+ years and I am absolutely satisfied with the performance and capability of the Aspen solution. 

From a personal experience perspective, I waited on the certified GPS navigator. I saw them roll out in the late 90s (the Apollo, Garmin and BK units) and held off waiting for the next best thing to come out. 14 years later, due to VOR approaches going away at my favorite destination airports, I finally bought the GTN. I would buy what you want now and don't look back. Guys like Peter Garmin bought a GTN and has been debating the glass thing for years. Get the value out of what you buy by using the thing.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Not if you speak to Peter Garmin. It is all gloom and doom according to him. I am not at all concerned about Aspen's viability. Everytime I visit an avionics shop, I see another one being installed. Garmin will continue to chop away at their market with the G5 but it is a self fulfilling prophecy if they go to far with the capabilities. Put too much into the G5, then you lose potential TXi sales. Put too little in, you lose out to Aspen and others. 

I have flown with mine for the past 5+ years and I am absolutely satisfied with the performance and capability of the Aspen solution. 

From a personal experience perspective, I waited on the certified GPS navigator. I saw them roll out in the late 90s (the Apollo, Garmin and BK units) and held off waiting for the next best thing to come out. 14 years later, due to VOR approaches going away at my favorite destination airports, I finally bought the GTN. I would buy what you want now and don't look back. Guys like Peter Garmin bought a GTN and has been debating the glass thing for years. Get the value out of what you buy by using the thing.

Thanks Chris, thats a fair point.  I might put in the 2k system rather than just the one screen aspen, although i have an ipad so apart from it being a backup is there anypoint to having a second screen, oh decisions, decisions.  Worth than being a kid ina sweet shop.  Now if i could get weather while airbourne........

5 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thanks Chris, thats a fair point.  I might put in the 2k system rather than just the one screen aspen, although i have an ipad so apart from it being a backup is there anypoint to having a second screen, oh decisions, decisions.  Worth than being a kid ina sweet shop.  Now if i could get weather while airbourne........

Andrew, you do not need the ea100 for GPSS if you are keeping that "fine swiss watch" ki258. Have it continue to drive the AP and the Aspen will provide info to the 258. As others have said, consider getting an ESI500 to replace it if you are going to drive the AP with the EA100 and ditch your Vacuum pump in the channel

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

I actually did something brave a few days ago. I flew without my iPad on board. Felt so naked. I think it even affected my flying. 5a9057055af52_MooneyFlight.thumb.JPG.aa12dfef3db91b946189c940f128b3c1.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

with the GTN750 and the Aera660 the iPad really can be left in the bag. Useful to view an approach plate, or free hand a route change, but otherwise, not needed.

I'm definately NOT this badass, he has TWO iPads and stil has to hit confirm on his iFD440.

Edited by jetdriven
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Do you have a pic of @gsxrpilot panel.  I did look for one but couldnt find it.  

Here is Paul's thread on his upgraded panel.

I would love to say I always go for the latest version of something, but I bought a 30 Y.O. plane that is better than most of the new ones made today (esp. if I factor in affordability!).

Sad to think if I get 15 years out of my panel, it may last longer than my flying days, but it will be flying how I want rather than how someone else wants. They can update it at that point.

Just a bag of happy today....

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Andrew, you do not need the ea100 for GPSS if you are keeping that "fine swiss watch" ki258. Have it continue to drive the AP and the Aspen will provide info to the 258. As others have said, consider getting an ESI500 to replace it if you are going to drive the AP with the EA100 and ditch your Vacuum pump in the channel

Useful to know. Thanks Mike

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

with the GTN750 and the Aera660 the iPad really can be left in the bag. Useful to view an approach plate, or free hand a route change, but otherwise, not needed.

I'm definately NOT this badass, he has TWO iPads and stil has to hit confirm on his iFD440.

The avidyne has an app that duplicates a lot of the boxes functionality on the ipad, including giving you a svt, its one if the things i like about it, also its little wifi keyboard, :)  

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Beautiful.  With the screen on the gtn do you not need a second aspen?

Another way to look at it, with the Aspen MFD, do you need to look at the GTN? Or IFD? I think this is why Baron Pilot uses the app. So he can go with the 440 instead of the bigger unit. The GTN for me has been relegated to the navigation source, selecting approaches and other minor functions (like VCALC). I like having everything I need in front of me.

• Like 1

One Aspen panel allows you to remove the TC, the VSI, and the DG/HSI. You still are required to have a secondary AI.

A second Aspen would allow you to also remove the ASI and Alt. I was keeping the Altimeter and with the IFD540, decided the second Aspen would be redundant.

If the Aspen could drive the vertical speed and altitude preselect for the KFC150, I'd have removed the Altimeter and ASI and installed an Aspen MFD.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Alan Fox said:
17 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Oh yeah, lol

I just picked up another 540 , just back from Avidyne...

Andrew, Alan isn't too far from NYC.  If you can make a deal that includes delivery to me at JFK Terminal 1 this Tuesday afternoon, you can have that 540 before the end of the month.:D

• Like 1

As promised i have attached a document on what i went through to choose a paintshop, the process as AL was re-sprayed and all the things that you should all look for when you are re-spraying your aircraft.  The cost for my re-spray was 20k euros, that DID not include fixing all the defects, nor doing the interior, but it did include all the things mentioned in this document.  Atention to detail is the key here.

How to respray your aircraft..pdf

So a quick update.  The prop has arrived and is ready and waiting with the engineers. The CSU has been returned from the states and is in perfect nick.  Engine is being out back together this week and tested next ready for delivery on Friday.  Then we can get AL back together and into the air again pronto. :)  

• Like 5

On 2/23/2018 at 1:43 PM, gsxrpilot said:

Here's my panel...

IMG_2503.jpg.21afc6cd725c91de4f077db87dcaf047.jpg

IMG_2511.jpg.d443cf03fc29415afc2c8822f6d9fc07.jpg

IMG_2513.jpg.16fe103146d663f794993c606ccdca84.jpg

Need to change your nickname from Rocket to Flush, Paul.

Baron Pilot can have the nickname Full House.   That is one busy cockpit full of stuff.

Andrew - good to hear she's coming back together.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Further update to keep you all in the loop.  On replacing the pucks (if you recall i replaced them as part of the paint, but since we had had a heavy landing I was advised by Aeroskill to replace all the bolts in the landing gear, so took the opportunity to replace the pucks again as well.  I will now know i have new bolts etc in the gear.  On replacing the base plate in the pucks they removed the bushel and found a crack.  So a quick phone call and order to our friends in Kerrville and the parts are already here.  This was discovered on Thursday, Way to go Mooney.  Speedy service. These are now being installed and apart form a new stall warner, she should be ready to fly tail end of next week. 

Obviously i will have to play politics a bit with the Engineers at Elstree but that's one of the hassles that I have had to deal with in this horrible saga of the prop strike.  I was not allowed to have Aeroskill come across and inspect the plane and remove engine etc, so i was forced to use the only engineers on the airfield, who quoted at me regularly the famous line "you are not actually a customer of ours so you go to the back of the queue", hence it took til December 2017 for them to inspect the aircraft, and we lost three months.  Now everything is being done sequentially, when to our mind, while the engine was being rebuilt, the landing gear could have been looked at, stall warner changed, then engine back on and ready to fly.  Sorry just venting a little frustration...

She is also out of Annual now so will have to be run in, flown to aeroskill for the annual and we waste a few more weeks.  I might actually get to fly this year, but possible not!

Good new is that i am writing an article for a flying magazine about how to choose a paint shop and what to make sure happens in a paint refresh.

Andrew

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Further update to keep you all in the loop.  On replacing the pucks (if you recall i replaced them as part of the paint, but since we had had a heavy landing I was advised by Aeroskill to replace all the bolts in the landing gear, so took the opportunity to replace the pucks again as well.  I will now know i have new bolts etc in the gear.  On replacing the base plate in the pucks they removed the bushel and found a crack.  So a quick phone call and order to our friends in Kerrville and the parts are already here.  This was discovered on Thursday, Way to go Mooney.  Speedy service. These are now being installed and apart form a new stall warner, she should be ready to fly tail end of next week. 

Obviously i will have to play politics a bit with the Engineers at Elstree but that's one of the hassles that I have had to deal with in this horrible saga of the prop strike.  I was not allowed to have Aeroskill come across and inspect the plane and remove engine etc, so i was forced to use the only engineers on the airfield, who quoted at me regularly the famous line "you are not actually a customer of ours so you go to the back of the queue", hence it took til December 2017 for them to inspect the aircraft, and we lost three months.  Now everything is being done sequentially, when to our mind, while the engine was being rebuilt, the landing gear could have been looked at, stall warner changed, then engine back on and ready to fly.  Sorry just venting a little frustration...

She is also out of Annual now so will have to be run in, flown to aeroskill for the annual and we waste a few more weeks.  I might actually get to fly this year, but possible not!

Good new is that i am writing an article for a flying magazine about how to choose a paint shop and what to make sure happens in a paint refresh.

Andrew

What a saga! Have you and the other partners tar and feathered the partner who did this? Or is the rack more appropriate for this level of offense? I guess based on your description of events it is not possible to obtain a ferry flight approval to move the plane to the Aeroskill guys.

45 minutes ago, Marauder said:

What a saga! Have you and the other partners tar and feathered the partner who did this? Or is the rack more appropriate for this level of offense? I guess based on your description of events it is not possible to obtain a ferry flight approval to move the plane to the Aeroskill guys.

We are actually being quite nice to him at the moment as he is playing the good cop to my bad cop with the engineers.  We are looking to get a permit to fly so we can run the engine in at least and then next day take her to Aeroskill for them to do the Annual.  It is driving gently crazy, after all I've got a wedding to plan, as well as try to run a company.  :)  Once we get her out of these engineers hands ill be a lot happier and hopefully that is literally a few days away.  

Ive attached an image of the crack in the landing gear puck retaining plate.  When did anyone last check theirs?  I reckon there will be a few cracks out there.

IMG_20180508_163913.thumb.jpg.06e3a18505731bc250e759de3f4548f8.jpg

• Like 1