G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Gama are approved by Lycoming to zero time.   Its not a field overhaul by any stretch of the imagination.  

O.K. (I guess)  I'm just trying to help make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.  To verify, I'd ask GAMA if the 2 year Lycoming engine warranty for zero timed engines applies.

Just when you thought...no way...  pink engine paint?

https://www.amazon.com/VHT-ESP756007-Engine-Enamel-Pink/dp/B000CPAVJ8

You might have to provide the sparkles separately...

There were a few paints marked VHT for very high temp?

Still looking for VHT with glitter...

Got the VHT with glitter... now for the pink VHT w/ glitter...

http://www.vhtpaint.com/high-heat/vht-engine-metallic

Best regards and get well soon,

-a-

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cyril Gibb said:

O.K. (I guess)  I'm just trying to help make sure you're getting what you think you're getting.  To verify, I'd ask GAMA if the 2 year Lycoming engine warranty for zero timed engines applies.

Yes agreed, i must admit your post did make me sit up and think as they have always said it is a zero timed engine.  

Zero time since major overhaul and zero time since new are different things. They can even be the same engine, the engine I got has 2400 hours since new, 0 hour since major and the one after it probably had zero time since new but it’s really just paperwork but it does affect the valuation.  People certainly pay more for zero time since new engine but understand what time they are zeroing

So here is the answer and also why everyone gets SO confused.

• Mooneyspace.  I mentioned that the engine was being 'zero timed' on MS, which is a forum I'm quite active in and was told NO only Lycoming can do that.  So I am now confused as I understood we were getting a zero timed engine, if we are not, what ARE we getting in terms of 'name'.  I think the point here is are the engine logbooks put back to Zero. This is a common industry misconception! We are overhauling your engine, the log books return to zero hours and zero calendar! We are zero timing your engine, all past history becomes irrelevant!

There you go the engine is being zero timed.  I also asked a number of questions on the difference around Field Overhauls and Factory Overhauls.  

Basically the reason you get a NEW logbook when your engine is sent off to Lycoming is they swap your core with one they have already worked on, so your crank and crank case are not the same anymore and dont match the logbook numbers, so you need a new logbook.  What is happening to AL is EXACTLY what would happen in Lycoming except, they don't swap out the crank case and shaft, they check it, magnaflux it  etc (just like Lycoming do to the one they have swapped to you and just like Lycoming do to your old one that they then put on the shelf for the next customer) to make sure they have no faults, measure it to ensure it is within factory tolerances, (Gama's tolerances are tighter than the factories), exactly as they do in the factory.  Had I sent my core to Lycoming they would have used my core back in my engine because they don't have any io-0360-a3b6D cores on the shelf, their distributor here in the UK checked for me.

So I am getting a ZERO timed engine re-built back to better than factory tolerances.  This is not a field overhaul by any stretch of the imagination.

In terms of the "sticky out bang bang bits", im keeping my original rods, and overhauled rocker arms, the rest is new:-

• Cylinders:-  This is where I'm really confused
    • You had the cylinders off on the bottom shelf, containing the valves, tappets, rockers and associated parts, pistons and rings.
    • Is ALL that replaced as part of this overhaul? We will be fitting New Lycoming cylinder kits, the kits include all the valves, springs, pistons and rings etc. We fit new Lycoming tappets and we overhaul your rocker arms. Your original cylinders are scrap.

Cam is new as well as previously stated.

Hope that clears that confusion up for everyone, please feel free to ask any questions and ill endeavour to help.  I am confident i am getting a zero timed engine, rebuilt back to Lycoming factory standards, with paperwork that says the same.

"Magnaflux"  http://www.rlengines.com/Web_Pages/Magnafluxing.html (just a websie with pretty pictures in case noone knows what this process is.)

Now Avionics..........

Avionics.....

5a8fe427417e6_g-obalpanelexisting.PNG.78110ec3a8f474075b361f1b0980e358.PNG

5a8fe42983ff5_g-obalpaneloption1.thumb.PNG.5ec4404139d5951088b2ab00e810d162.PNG

So the question becomes this.  The avidyne i am pretty much sold on, the GNC I need to fly airways in the UK, (got to have two rads), need two altimeters as well.  The JPI 830 is a good piece of kit and is already in my paws but not installed.

So we have a KFC150, it works very well.  The HSI is gently showing its age and not necessarily sending the correct signals to the AP sometimes so needs replacing at some point.  The AI/FD works very well.

Now what with all the engine work, we decided that rather than using the bank of Andrew we will use the Bank of Chase Brothers so as a consequence we thought, oh ok, now lets look at this panel again what with all the new stuff that is coming out.  This led me to thinking about future value etc.  So ......

• do we carry on with the Aspen, which gives us
    • SVT
    • Traffic
    • Altitude alerting
    • With a box GPSS
    • and add Altitude and VS descent capability to the AP
  • Do we install a Garmin G500 NXI
    • Which is more modern
    • gives me the above
    • not sure it interfaces with Avidyne
    • Not sure how well it drives the KFC150
  • We will NOT remove the AP, if anything we will wait till Honeywell produce their slide in replacement for the AP
  • We don't get weather over here so we need the Golze thing for that.

I know you are about to spend my money, and that doesn't worry me too much, BUT please please don't just quote box numbers at me, as i find them all terribly confusing, let me know what the box does at least.  Oh Garmin G5s I dont really see their value, as they are just glass versions of the mechanical things i have already and wont drive the AP, which is CRITICAL to me.  Over to you.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

So here is the answer and also why everyone gets SO confused.

• Mooneyspace.  I mentioned that the engine was being 'zero timed' on MS, which is a forum I'm quite active in and was told NO only Lycoming can do that.  So I am now confused as I understood we were getting a zero timed engine, if we are not, what ARE we getting in terms of 'name'.  I think the point here is are the engine logbooks put back to Zero. This is a common industry misconception! We are overhauling your engine, the log books return to zero hours and zero calendar! We are zero timing your engine, all past history becomes irrelevant!

There you go the engine is being zero timed.  I also asked a number of questions on the difference around Field Overhauls and Factory Overhauls.  

Basically the reason you get a NEW logbook when your engine is sent off to Lycoming is they swap your core with one they have already worked on, so your crank and crank case are not the same anymore and dont match the logbook numbers, so you need a new logbook.  What is happening to AL is EXACTLY what would happen in Lycoming except, they don't swap out the crank case and shaft, they check it, magnaflux it  etc (just like Lycoming do to the one they have swapped to you and just like Lycoming do to your old one that they then put on the shelf for the next customer) to make sure they have no faults, measure it to ensure it is within factory tolerances, (Gama's tolerances are tighter than the factories), exactly as they do in the factory.  Had I sent my core to Lycoming they would have used my core back in my engine because they don't have any io-0360-a3b6D cores on the shelf, their distributor here in the UK checked for me.

So I am getting a ZERO timed engine re-built back to better than factory tolerances.  This is not a field overhaul by any stretch of the imagination.

Hope that clears that confusion up for everyone, please feel free to ask any questions and ill endeavour to help.  I am confident i am getting a zero timed engine, rebuilt back to Lycoming factory standards, with paperwork that says the same.

What’s still not clear to me is their statement of “zero time”.  Of course zero time since overhaul. Anyone can do that.  Does their log entry state “zero total time since new” ? I would want to see that. 

A factory remanufactured engine does.  And at the current time you get a two-mag engine and new case along with that roller camshaft because there aren’t any cores for A3b6 engines. 

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Avionics.....

So the question becomes this.  The avidyne i am pretty much sold on, the GNC I need to fly airways in the UK, (got to have two rads), need two altimeters as well.  The JPI 830 is a good piece of kit and is already in my paws but not installed.

So we have a KFC150, it works very well.  The HSI is gently showing its age and not necessarily sending the correct signals to the AP sometimes so needs replacing at some point.  The AI/FD works very well.

Now what with all the engine work, we decided that rather than using the bank of Andrew we will use the Bank of Chase Brothers so as a consequence we thought, oh ok, now lets look at this panel again what with all the new stuff that is coming out.  This led me to thinking about future value etc.  So ......

• SVT
    • Traffic
    • Altitude alerting
    • With a box GPSS
    • Which is more modern
    • gives me the above
  • We will NOT remove the AP, if anything we will wait till Honeywell produce their slide in replacement for the AP

I know you are about to spend my money, and that doesn't worry me too much, BUT please please don't just quote box numbers at me, as i find them all terribly confusing, let me know what the box does at least.  Oh Garmin G5s I dont really see their value, as they are just glass versions of the mechanical things i have already and wont drive the AP, which is CRITICAL to me.  Over to you.

For another 9k you can get a Gfc500 autopilot which will be a better unit than the KFC.  It’s coming but we’re not there yet.  

14 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

What’s still not clear to me is their statement of “zero time”.  Of course zero time since overhaul. Anyone can do that.  Does their log entry state “zero total time since new” ? I would want to see that. 

A factory remanufactured engine does.  And at the current time you get a two-mag engine and new case along with that roller camshaft because there aren’t any cores for A3b6 engines. 

Sorry i dont follow, what was not clear about zero calendar?  Even lycoming dont say zero time since new, they cant because it isnt, i checked before i went into this process.  

I hae a zero timed engine with zero hours, and as they say all past history is irrelevant.  Look at what is being replaced.  as I stated above IF you get a factory rebuilt engine, i get EXACTLY what im getting now, but with someone elses crank and case. 

22 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

For another 9k you can get a Gfc500 autopilot which will be a better unit than the KFC.  It’s coming but we’re not there yet.  

Hmmm why is the gfc which is not certified yet better than an ap that has hundreds of thousands of peoven hours on it, and dont say "its digital" cause thats not an answer.

12 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Sorry i dont follow, what was not clear about zero calendar?  Even lycoming dont say zero time since new, they cant because it isnt, i checked before i went into this process.  

I hae a zero timed engine with zero hours, and as they say all past history is irrelevant.  Look at what is being replaced.  as I stated above IF you get a factory rebuilt engine, i get EXACTLY what im getting now, but with someone elses crank and case. 

A Lycoming factory rebuilt engine will come with a 2 year warranty and a log entry that shows 0.0 TTSN.  It will also come wirh a roller camshaft and most likely a new case. All come wirh new cylinder kits. It will be worth more than an overhaul that has time in service from before. You may not after with that but buyers will pay more for it.  Does the GAMA engine come wirh 0.0 TTSN and a roller camshaft? 

I got the factory overhaul which shows 2325 TTSN and 0.0 TSMOH.  I have a feeling it’s the same production line and if I had elected to pay the extra this serial number would have come wirh 0.0 TTSN but we were already way over budget. 

Edited by jetdriven

13 minutes ago, jetdriven said:

A Lycoming factory rebuilt engine will come with a 2 year warranty and a log entry that shows 0.0 TTSN.  It will also come wirh a roller camshaft and most likely a new case. All come wirh new cylinder kits. It will be worth more than an overhaul that has time in service from before. You may not after with that but buyers will pay more for it.  Does the GAMA engine come wirh 0.0 TTSN and a roller camshaft? 

I got the factory overhaul which shows 2325 TTSN and 0.0 TSMOH.  I have a feeling it’s the same production line and if I had elected to pay the extra this serial number would have come wirh 0.0 TTSN but we were already way over budget. 

The gama engine puts in a new roller cam shaft, the ONLY things that are kept are as i have previously stated (already had a roller cam).  Yes it comes with a two year warranty, which are looking to extend, something you cant do at Lycoming.  

With a lycoming rebuild, you will, yes definitely will, have your orginal crank case, they have not made any new ones for a couple of years.  Which means you have your original crank as well, just like mine.   

The question was am i getting a zero timed engine, YES, its in writing from GAMA, the rest is marketting symantics.  

1 minute ago, jackn said:

My current thinking is to wait until Garmin starts shipping the g500 TXi. At that point I feel there will be a lot of Used Aspens hitting the market. Aspen is a fine unit and clearly suits my needs. Just a thought. 

Im tempted by that train of thought as well.  My only concern is garmins pricing structure, ie will they insist on yearly payments to make x or y function happen, and if for whatever reason we dont pay then they instantly stop working.  Im not willing to pay up 15k and then ontop of that pay a software subscription fee, for "maintenance".to keep the charts active I never paid those when i was a CIO as they are basically a very expensive rip off and ill be damned if ill pay for them on my plane.  For example my current gps costs 50 a year to keep it upto date, thats a fine figure!  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

The gama engine puts in a new roller cam shaft, the ONLY things that are kept are as i have previously stated (already had a roller cam).  Yes it comes with a two year warranty, which are looking to extend, something you cant do at Lycoming.  

With a lycoming rebuild, you will, yes definitely will, have your orginal crank case, they have not made any new ones for a couple of years.  Which means you have your original crank as well, just like mine.   

The question was am i getting a zero timed engine, YES, its in writing from GAMA, the rest is marketting symantics.  

No. I exchanged a non-roller engine.  They don’t make those cases anymore (they’re different) This is happening a lot, so a a large percentage of factory engines are getting new crankcases.  Since you already have the roller engine this is a moot point for you. 

You never answered if the GAMA engine is “0 TTSN”. It’s not semantics, it’s in the log and it adds value.  The factory rebuilt engine is. (Factory overhaul, no) Often engine shops confuse the issue but it is a very important thing.

I had a buddy with a cardinal RG changed the oil, left a big wrench on the engine. It fel into the prop and nicked all 3 blades.   Prop strike teardown time. But he did not ask all the tough questions and get all of it in writing he said he wanted to go through the entire engine and wanted it rebuilt. After a couple of months he gets the engine back wirh the new prop on it in the logbook still shows 1500 hrs. since major and zero since prop strike.  Now mind you je paid like 20 grand for this back in 1998 which is the full price for a real overhaul. But he got some lame story because they didn’t change the small end rod bushings out that they couldn’t call it an overhaul and oh well. 

Edited by jetdriven

3 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Avionics.....

• SVT
    • Traffic
    • Altitude alerting
    • With a box GPSS
    • Which is more modern
    • gives me the above

I am going almost exactly the same route in planning my panel, including the ADF. Aspen has a lot of value still from what I can see. G5s don;t really add much at this point unless they can drive the King autopilot.

Do you need the diversity on your transponder? Which Garmin box are you using?

I love the panel graphics by the way...

iain

1 hour ago, jetdriven said:

No. I exchanged a non-roller engine.  They don’t make those cases anymore (they’re different) This is happening a lot, so a a large percentage of factory engines are getting new crankcases.  Since you already have the roller engine this is a moot point for you. 

You never answered if the GAMA engine is “0 TTSN”. It’s not semantics, it’s in the log and it adds value.  The factory rebuilt engine is. (Factory overhaul, no) Often engine shops confuse the issue but it is a very important thing.

I had a buddy with a cardinal RG changed the oil, left a big wrench on the engine. It fel into the prop and nicked all 3 blades.   Prop strike teardown time. But he did not ask all the tough questions and get all of it in writing he said he wanted to go through the entire engine and wanted it rebuilt. After a couple of months he gets the engine back wirh the new prop on it in the logbook still shows 1500 hrs. since major and zero since prop strike.  Now mind you je paid like 20 grand for this back in 1998 which is the full price for a real overhaul. But he got some lame story because they didn’t change the small end rod bushings out that they couldn’t call it an overhaul and oh well. 

Ah ok. English difference i think. So the “logbooks return to zero hours amd zero calendar” so yes the whole thing is reset to zero not just the hours, ie 0 ttsn is what zero calendar means over here.  So yes i am getting zero timed.  Ill also make sure they dont leave any wrenches in the cowling.  

What your mate had done was what the previous owners had done after one of them dinged the prop on AL I insisted this time that we would rebuild the engine and zero time it.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, milotron said:

I am going almost exactly the same route in planning my panel, including the ADF. Aspen has a lot of value still from what I can see. G5s don;t really add much at this point unless they can drive the King autopilot.

Do you need the diversity on your transponder? Which Garmin box are you using?

I love the panel graphics by the way...

iain

Diversity on the transponder is this part of the #metoo campaign? :)   I think (and only think its a gtx 375).  Put in before i bought the plane. 

I agree i honestly cant see any value to me in the G5s.  They have to be able to drive an ap and to me only King APs are any good ( :) ).   

Thanks re the graphics. 

I'd go fly a GTN750 and a iFD540 both before comitting. I did, flew both on the same day, and initially I was hard over on the iFD540 but I ended up getting the GTN750.  Costs are comparable. The GTN map screen area is much larger, and larger in a forward direction,  where you're going. The iFD540 has a LOT more data blocks. Anyways, not trying to sell you on one or the other, just sleep around a little before marrying the preacher's daughter.

Edited by jetdriven

On 2/20/2018 at 3:22 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Gama are approved by Lycoming to zero time.   Its not a field overhaul by any stretch of the imagination.  

Does Gama go by another name? They are not even listed by Lycoming as a distributor. The only distributor listed by Lycoming in the UK are these blokes (I used that right?): https://www.airpart.co.uk/

Lycoming has 3 product offerings. A factory new, a factory rebuilt and a factory overhaul. The factory rebuilt and the new options are the only ones that offer a "0" time. The rebuilt product is, as was described above, a collection of different parts from Lycoming rebuilt and given a new log book. As far as I know Lycoming is the only entity approved to zero time their engine. If Lycoming sells you an overhaul, you get a "0" TSMOH on your original engine's TT. From the Lycoming website:

5a90401956293_LycomingRebuild.thumb.JPG.84dbe96b7de86b90aa8e2614d73e62af.JPG

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Avionics.....

• SVT
    • Traffic
    • Altitude alerting
    • With a box GPSS
    • Which is more modern
    • gives me the above

Confused and require some clarification (please use small words - it is that kind of day).

I see where your list of removed bits includes the AI, but it appears to still be in Option 1 graphic. Am I missing something?

I am making an assumption your Aspen will include the EA-100 for the KFC-150. You say "add Altitude and VS select" to the AP, but what are you using to get that? The EA-100 does not provide it and the Avionik Straubing APS4A unit is not available for the KAP/KFC-150 units. The only way I have found is using a KEA-130A altimeter and KAS-297B VSS/Alt. pre-select unit.

What is the disposition of the vacuum pump? If the AI remains, so will it, but see my first clarification request.

4 minutes ago, Oldguy said:

Confused and require some clarification (please use small words - it is that kind of day).

I see where your list of removed bits includes the AI, but it appears to still be in Option 1 graphic. Am I missing something?

I am making an assumption your Aspen will include the EA-100 for the KFC-150. You say "add Altitude and VS select" to the AP, but what are you using to get that? The EA-100 does not provide it and the Avionik Straubing APS4A unit is not available for the KAP/KFC-150 units. The only way I have found is using a KEA-130A altimeter and KAS-297B VSS/Alt. pre-select unit.

What is the disposition of the vacuum pump? If the AI remains, so will it, but see my first clarification request.

Oh ive had that kind of day, ive given up answering about zero time as its going around in circles, ;)   GAMA have clearly stated that the engine is zero calendared as well as zero houred, what more do i need.  Grrrr  i have enough data to defend in a UK court of law if requried and thats all i need. ;)  

ok small words....

the AI needs to stay i THINK for two reasons.....1. To drive the AP and as a legal backup, whats the point of having a turn and bank when i can have an AI.   If the brown stuff hits the revolving thing then lets not make my life too hard if it can be avoided.  The EA-100 will give me gpss steering, i believe, but tbh im not sure whether the AI becomes redundant for the ap in that case, i just know i need it as a backup legally.  For the altitude / vs select, i know the kfc150 can have that with a few mods, which i think are the two things you have put above. Nice to have if i can get it.  I. Flew with a kap140 the other day which had all of that and it was sweet and even talked to you.  I do want the aspen to be able to say minimums and 500 etc.  

Dont really care about the vacuum pump tbh, everyone seems to worry so about them, but im not presurised and if i have electric everything, but a vacuum AI then i have a fail safe.  The vacuum pump will also be brand new after the engine is put in anyway.

Avionics i will freely admit is an area i know little about.  I know what i want them to do, but i think i am very much an IT user asking the developer team to design me a system and i know what it will look like,and so do they, but as we all know those two "look likes" will be completely diffferent.

8 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Oh ive had that kind of day, ive given up answering about zero time as its going around in circles, ;)   GAMA have clearly stated that the engine is zero calendared as well as zero houred, what more do i need.  Grrrr  i have enough data to defend in a UK court of law if requried and thats all i need. ;)  

ok small words....

the AI needs to stay i THINK for two reasons.....1. To drive the AP and as a legal backup, whats the point of having a turn and bank when i can have an AI.   If the brown stuff hits the revolving thing then lets not make my life too hard if it can be avoided.  The EA-100 will give me gpss steering, i believe, but tbh im not sure whether the AI becomes redundant for the ap in that case, i just know i need it as a backup legally.  For the altitude / vs select, i know the kfc150 can have that with a few mods, which i think are the two things you have put above. Nice to have if i can get it.  I. Flew with a kap140 the other day which had all of that and it was sweet and even talked to you.  I do want the aspen to be able to say minimums and 500 etc.  

Dont really care about the vacuum pump tbh, everyone seems to worry so about them, but im not presurised and if i have electric everything, but a vacuum AI then i have a fail safe.  The vacuum pump will also be brand new after the engine is put in anyway.

Avionics i will freely admit is an area i know little about.  I know what i want them to do, but i think i am very much an IT user asking the developer team to design me a system and i know what it will look like,and so do they, but as we all know those two "look likes" will be completely diffferent.

Andrew -- sorry about frying your grits (Colonial phrase) on the zero time. I have a Lycoming overhaul and I know I am still carrying a TT on the engine. 

As for your avionics, the Aspen PFD / EA100 will act as the AI using Aspen's AHRS to drive the attitude information. You will need to have a second AI in the panel for the backup to the Aspen PFD. Even the Garmin G1000 guys have a backup AI. If you go with the single Aspen PFD, you can remove your turn coordinator and VSI. The ASI and altimeter will need to stay along with a separate AI. If you want to get rid of more stuff, I would recommend going with an L-3 ESI-500. This will satisfy the AI backup requirement and also allow you to remove your ASI and altimeter. On your comment about the call outs, the Aspen can provide two tone alerts. One being when you are reaching a set altitude. It will chime at different altitudes below your target altitude based on your climb rate. You can also set a minimums altitude for an approach. It will chime as you reach that altitude. If you have a radar altimeter, that also can be set for a specific height.

5a904cf3b14ab_IMG_0708(2)_LI.thumb.jpg.6daee7eb1e2d1e07613618ab33b27644.jpg

If the Garmin touchscreen is available, my understanding is that it will be setup similar to the Aspen 2000 (where the MFD can act as a PFD). It will have very specific requirements about what needs to stay or what can go. I would research these. You may be able to remove stuff. I doubt very much that the Garmin product will replace your King AI for attitude control, but I would research this as well.

14 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

ok small words....

Ah, thank you. Clearer.

@Alan Fox provided me with a KEA-130A and KAS-297B for part of the avionic work I am currently undertaking. He also provided me a Sandia Quattro 340 so I was able to remove the stand-by vacuum pump in the tail of my plane (net UL gain of 12 lbs.). I still have the engine vacuum pump for my speed brakes, but I have yet to hear of a Mooney falling out of the sky due to not being able to use its speed brakes, so I believe I am safe.

So with what Alan provided and a bargain on an Aspen with SV and AOA, my panel will closely resemble the left side of @gsxrpilot's panel with the difference being my EDM 830 and gauges vs. his EDM 900. I lose my vacuum powered avionics and have the Sandia as a battery operated backup. Doing all of that, having years of excess wire removed, and a 406 ELT installed should yield a little bit more UL than just the stand-by pump removal. If I had gone ahead with the EDM 900, I would have had a new panel cut, but that will have to wait for an avionics reserve refill.

Now, for your options, have you considered the IFD 550 vs. the 540? I am unfamiliar enough with them to be able to identify the differences, but someone more knowledgeable might be able to provide some information. And if you did not already have the EDM 830, I would highly recommend the 900, but such is life.

And what did you use to make the graphic?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Oh ive had that kind of day, ive given up answering about zero time as its going around in circles, ;)   

Not going around in circles, just different people using different definitions for the same terms.

And at the end of the day, if you're happy with your price and product and AL is back flying, what does it really matter?

• Thanks 1