G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

8 hours ago, StevenL757 said:

Ok.  I'll play.   :-)

IMG_0560.JPG

Nice panel.   AL wont be getting that though as EASA doesnt let me do some of that.   We will put in an Avidyne/Garmin GPS (battle lines still to be drawn on that one ie i like the finctionality of the avidyne, my plane partner likes the interface of the garmin.), if funds permit an Aspen. Upgrade box 2 to 8.33 as well, which might just be a King 165 slide in replacement to the 155 thats there, upgrade the second CDI to show ILS (possibly swap it with the old HSI)     Stormscope hidden in the back somewhere, GPSS and a JPI. Make sure the AP is fully functional, servos all nicely spinning properly.   Otherwise the panel i have is perfect for me,   Dual altimeters, ADF, DME everything i need for ifr flying over here.    

4 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Our trip to Mesquite, NV was the first time I have had it parked overnight outside of the hangar. I opted for two bungee cords from the right rudder pedals to the right yoke, and a smaller one between the yokes. It held everything tight in place.

20170312_104501.thumb.jpg.9c087849515e445cc615ed36ae05b926.jpg

Thanks Richard.  I have seen this option.  Being the anally retentive sort that i am i have asked my cad team to redesign the existing locks to fit the new yokes, we will then get our local friendly metal shop to rework them, have the "hooks" covered in leather to match the yokes so that they dont damage them.  Ill send a pic when done.  Aerocomfort are missing a trick there i think as they could "modifiy" your control lock for you while your yokes are in their shop. :)  

Andrew

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt it, but any regrets or things you would like to do differently? Hope we get a good PIREP of the ins and outs of a great paint shop and interior upgrade. Paint will be my big upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 10 months later...

Hi guys, sorry ive been a bit quiet recently.  AL had a prop strike on the 15/09/17 that really pissed me off, but hey the co owner was low hours and we have all done stupid things.  So long story short she is FINE, but we have taken the opportunity to zero time the engine and have the insurance replace the prop.  The engine is being done by GAMA in the UK, and the prop is exactly what she had before.  Once the engine is put back on and the prop replaced she then will be flown to Aeroskill in Holland, to make sure everythng has been done to their standards.  Gama are giving us EASA and FAA paperwork which is good.  

I have a question re the engine though, lycoming recently released a very publicised AD with regards to engines recently serviced.  I cant remember the number of it though and i want to make sure that GAMA dont miss it, although im sure a company their size wont.  Can anyone help?  @Clarence perhaps?  

Thanks in advance

Andrew

ps avionics  upgrade follow after this slight hiccup.  

Pps why did it take three months from the accident to the engine being removed, ah yes.......suffice to say i began to threaten legal action!   

• Like 1

On 14/04/2017 at 9:35 PM, xcrmckenna said:

I doubt it, but any regrets or things you would like to do differently? Hope we get a good PIREP of the ins and outs of a great paint shop and interior upgrade. Paint will be my big upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I promise to write on how to choose paintshops etc.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi guys, sorry ive been a bit quiet recently.  AL had a prop strike on the 15/09/17 that really pissed me off, but hey the co owner was low hours and we have all done stupid things.  So long story short she is FINE, but we have taken the opportunity to zero time the engine and have the insurance replace the prop.  The engine is being done by GAMA in the UK, and the prop is exactly what she had before.  Once the engine is put back on and the prop replaced she then will be flown to Aeroskill in Holland, to make sure everythng has been done to their standards.  Gama are giving us EASA and FAA paperwork which is good.  

I have a question re the engine though, lycoming recently released a very publicised AD with regards to engines recently serviced.  I cant remember the number of it though and i want to make sure that GAMA dont miss it, although im sure a company their size wont.  Can anyone help?  @Clarence perhaps?  

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Pps why did it take three months from the accident to the engine being removed, ah yes.......suffice to say i began to threaten legal action!   

I think you are looking for @M20Doc.

Hope you have her up flying again soon.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Are you talking about the connecting rod AD?

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/e0ce3e112906b48286258178006891ae/$FILE/2017-16-11.pdf

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear the news about your Mooney.  Are you thinking about AD2017-16-11 and SB632B concerning loose connecting rod small end bushings?

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB632B Connecting Rod Identification.pdf

Clarence 

14 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear the news about your Mooney.  Are you thinking about AD2017-16-11 and SB632B concerning loose connecting rod small end bushings?

https://www.lycoming.com/sites/default/files/SB632B Connecting Rod Identification.pdf

Clarence 

Hi clarence

Thanks so much for this, this is exactly the one.   Ill pimg it to gama, i thought it was the cam shaft but thats my old age memory, lol. I am sure they aleady know about it but want to make sure.   

Apparently, you can have the engine painted any colour you want, so i said screaming pink with glitter, :)   

Thanks again.

ill post pictures later this week once i have killed off this australian flu i have.  Damn criminal colonials, :)  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Damn criminal colonials, :)  

Sorry that you and G-OBAL are under the weather . . . But damned happy that we we haven't been "colonials" here for almost two and a half centuries . . . .  ;)  But you've inspired me to look up "Australian flu," that's a new one on me. Or have you been traveling again?

32 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi clarence

Thanks so much for this, this is exactly the one.   Ill pimg it to gama, i thought it was the cam shaft but thats my old age memory, lol. I am sure they aleady know about it but want to make sure.   

Apparently, you can have the engine painted any colour you want, so i said screaming pink with glitter, :)   

Thanks again.

ill post pictures later this week once i have killed off this australian flu i have.  Damn criminal colonials, :)  

Hi Andrew,

I’m guessing that there was no airframe damage with the prop strike?

Along with the engine work, they should be overhauling your magneto(s) and replacing the vacuum pump.

Clarence

6 hours ago, M20Doc said:

Hi Andrew,

I’m guessing that there was no airframe damage with the prop strike?

Along with the engine work, they should be overhauling your magneto(s) and replacing the vacuum pump.

Clarence

Hi clarence 

The vacuum is being replaced, magnetos are being overhauled, the cover and harness have been binned insaw yesterday. Oil pump is perfect condition. 

We have taken the opportunity to zero time the engine in accordance with Lycomings service bulletins for the same.  So in addition to that the only things that Gama have found is very very slight surface corrosion on the outside of the case which has been blasted. Miniscule movement in the through bolts which has been fixed, cam drive cog (see pic) was worn so is being replaced as are the tappet tubes.  See photos. Otherwise the engine was in excellent condition and would have easily hits its TBO but probably not more than 600 past that due to the through bolt movement.  

Yep airframe was fine no issues whatsoever.   its been crawled all over and checked and nothing found whatsoever.  

10FA7ADD-9A00-433E-87BA-87CC2DB1D6E8.thumb.jpeg.25fa5f723a7f0c7ba5ee9d88eae28447.jpeg

cam? Cog showing where the hard outside material has worn away

AE4E08B1-CF43-4558-996C-F6FF9D1583FF.thumb.jpeg.befa2d227665b39caf61cebc73c5606b.jpeg

Tappet tubes showing slight corrosion and damage. 

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Sorry that you and G-OBAL are under the weather . . . But damned happy that we we haven't been "colonials" here for almost two and a half centuries . . . .  ;)  But you've inspired me to look up "Australian flu," that's a new one on me. Or have you been traveling again?

No not travelling, austrailian flu is a variant of the common flu H1 something that hit australia last year, its quite nasty and has killed 500 over here so far this year as it seems to cause sepsis in some people.  It takes about 4 weeks to go but halfway through you begin to fell better then relapse.  My problem is i ALWAYS get a chest infection if i get a cold or flu due to a post nasal drip, so i sort of live on sudafed etc to dry me up. The chest infection otherwise puts me on my back.  This flu thiugh is funny because you are fine at 10:00 with no symptoms but at 11:00 you are blowing such muck out of your nose it is unreal. :)   Wierd thing but hey ill survive. Ive given it to Andrew and he is about two to three days behind me in the recovery stakes.  

7 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Hi clarence

Thanks again.

I'm sure @mooneygirl would vote for that color, especially after seeing the Mooneygirl apparel :)

Edited by jaylw314
  • Sad 1

On 2/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, Hyett6420 said:

...we have taken the opportunity to zero time the engine and have the insurance replace the prop.  The engine is being done by GAMA in the UK,

I thought that only a manufacturer or a shop approved by the manufacturer could zero time an engine.  Do you mean a field overhaul with a 0 SMOH and a continuing service record, or 0 SMOH and a 0 hours service record?  Not implying that a field overhaul done correctly is any less reliable than the factory, but the price should reflect the difference.

35 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

I thought that only a manufacturer or a shop approved by the manufacturer could zero time an engine.  Do you mean a field overhaul with a 0 SMOH and a continuing service record, or 0 SMOH and a 0 hours service record?  Not implying that a field overhaul done correctly is any less reliable than the factory, but the price should reflect the difference.

Gama are approved by Lycoming to zero time.   Its not a field overhaul by any stretch of the imagination.