G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

1 hour ago, Hyett6420 said:

Full Reveal. 

IMG_4181.thumb.JPG.fe98fce4c8c8ae9fa4e74d1fb5b2939d.JPG

IMG_4182.thumb.JPG.43f2e2a15f2c193cb8a651d33f71d77b.JPG

IMG_4183.thumb.JPG.47478a9a6c9d3e2fceabc895541c2e35.JPG

People have asked asked why I had this done at Aeroskill in Holland and not the UK, here is why. Every nut and bolt that held something on that was removed has been replaced with new ones, new rubber washers etc. Each nut/bolt marked with paint so you can see if it has moved and become loose.  They spent three hours yesterday making sure the gear doors were as tight as they could be so no drag was induced.   The attention to detail is incredible. 

IMG_4185.MOV the doors begin to open and out of the ether into the daylight for the first time in four months

IMG_4186.MOV comes AL

IMG_4189.thumb.JPG.ba167e4913d520544f4b7f963f4885cf.JPG

IMG_4193.thumb.JPG.bd543739ce4cc031bc8a18256ab151b5.JPG

I am one seriously happy man  

xxxxxx to all  flying home tomorrow weather permitting  

Love the torque seal..pro touch!

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Chupacabra said:

Brilliant! Now that is a proper paint job. 

It is a beautiful coating of paint,,,  A smooth, thick, heavy coating of paint!

I wonder how much the weight of that paint took from a standard useful load...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mpg said:

It is a beautiful coating of paint,,,  A smooth, thick, heavy coating of paint!

I wonder how much the weight of that paint took from a standard useful load...

Doubtful it added much if any weight, unless his plane was bare aluminum prior to the paint job. Just because it looks fantastic doesn't mean its 'thick' or 'heavy'. A proper aircraft paint job should be about 14 mils thick. The paint on Andrew's plane looks smooth because the shop did a fantastic job prepping and spraying, not because they used extra paint. 

Andrew, looks amazing! I suspect these photos you posted are going to have many of us looking at our own birds and wondering what the possibilities for new paint are....I for one have been thinking about it more seriously after reading this thread. Enjoy that new paint and interior!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Full Reveal. 

IMG_4181.thumb.JPG.fe98fce4c8c8ae9fa4e74d1fb5b2939d.JPG

People have asked asked why I had this done at Aeroskill in Holland and not the UK, here is why. Every nut and bolt that held something on that was removed has been replaced with new ones, new rubber washers etc. Each nut/bolt marked with paint so you can see if it has moved and become loose.  They spent three hours yesterday making sure the gear doors were as tight as they could be so no drag was induced.   The attention to detail is incredible. 

IMG_4185.MOV the doors begin to open and out of the ether into the daylight for the first time in four months

IMG_4186.MOV comes AL

I am one seriously happy man  

xxxxxx to all  flying home tomorrow weather permitting  

Should that castle nut have a cotter pin??

I do like the attention to detail and all new hardware sweet.  Much better than some who just paint over everything.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

Should that castle nut have a cotter pin??

I do like the attention to detail and all new hardware sweet.  Much better than some who just paint over everything.

I thought it was missing one as well but if you look more closely you can see the head of the cotter pin on the left side of the nut.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Andy95W said:

Actually, the one that I noticed, but didn't want to point out, was the attachment from the pushrod to the rudder should have a castellated nut and cutter pin, not a lock nut.  See #58, below:

IMG_0928.PNG

Interesting.  What year was this catalogue?

Yours is not the first Mooney I've seen with lock nuts instead of cotter pins.  It is a fairly common "modification".  We should get Clarence to chime in with his opinion.

The manual was dated 2003 and is applicable for the entire M20J series beginning SN 24-0001.  Here is the title page:

IMG_0932.PNG

• Like 1

Andrew- BTW, I certainly meant no harm or detraction about your beautiful airplane- it is stunning, and exactly why I didn't mention anything until others started talking about your cotter pins.

I think you should PM Clarence and ask his opinion- I bet he's seen it more often than me.

• Like 1