G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

Ive managed to break thru ice twice in my life...once ice skating on a frozen pool on ships creek anchorage AK...My brother pulled me out as I broke thru ice into 6 ft deep water...I was in wool so didn't get really cold till later..second time was snow mobiling north of truckee ca...three airport guys were flat out running in a snowstorm...I am in the middle and suddenly the machine is airborne..it lawn darts hard on an unseen opposite bank and I go thru windshield.Mean while ,my buds continue on 100 ft on either side of me ,and in the snow storm don't see me disappear in the hole.I crawl back into the saddle and dismount.Big mistake...soon as I step off ,I meet no resistance and I am chest deep in the coldest water that it takes my breath away.There is a strong current sucking me under the ice and I am gripping foot rail of snowmobile preventing me from being sucked under ice.Some how ,though soaked I am able to climb up treads onto saddle and back through broken windshield while whole machine is quivering and threating to come unsticked .I crawl up opposite bank gasping like a beached whale just as my friends circling back pull up .3 miles till nearest cabin / warmup hut and I am frozen and done for the day!Everytime I see that scene in Titanic I shiver!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thinwing said:

Ive managed to break thru ice twice in my life...once ice skating on a frozen pool on ships creek anchorage AK...My brother pulled me out as I broke thru ice into 6 ft deep water...I was in wool so didn't get really cold till later..second time was snow mobiling north of truckee ca...three airport guys were flat out running in a snowstorm...I am in the middle and suddenly the machine is airborne..it lawn darts hard on an unseen opposite bank and I go thru windshield.Mean while ,my buds continue on 100 ft on either side of me ,and in the snow storm don't see me disappear in the hole.I crawl back into the saddle and dismount.Big mistake...soon as I step off ,I meet no resistance and I am chest deep in the coldest water that it takes my breath away.There is a strong current sucking me under the ice and I am gripping foot rail of snowmobile preventing me from being sucked under ice.Some how ,though soaked I am able to climb up treads onto saddle and back through broken windshield while whole machine is quivering and threating to come unsticked .I crawl up opposite bank gasping like a beached whale just as my friends circling back pull up .3 miles till nearest cabin / warmup hut and I am frozen and done for the day!Everytime I see that scene in Titanic I shiver!

Ooh Kelly that sounds bad.  Glad you got out ok. It is amazing the effect the cold water has in you isn't it. 

4 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Ooh Kelly that sounds bad.  Glad you got out ok. It is amazing the effect the cold water has in you isn't it. 

It was..later they sent a snow cat to retrieve my snowmobile and they had trouble pulling it out...it seems one of the front skis became entangled on a tree root or bush and that is what saved my life.It would have slid back down the bank into that hole I climbed out of...all that quivering of the snowmobile as my weight was put on it was being supported by a single 1 in knob of root thru one of the ski hoops...Don't let anyone tell you are a sissy for wearing an immersion suit while over the North Sea!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, thinwing said:

It was..later they sent a snow cat to retrieve my snowmobile and they had trouble pulling it out...it seems one of the front skis became entangled on a tree root or bush and that is what saved my life.It would have slid back down the bank into that hole I climbed out of...all that quivering of the snowmobile as my weight was put on it was being supported by a single 1 in knob of root thru one of the ski hoops...Don't let anyone tell you are a sissy for wearing an immersion suit while over the North Sea!

Shit, thats scary.

21 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Try readng this. Particularly the twbles around page 42. http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/otopdf/1995/oto95038.pdf

So if wearing a membrane suit the best you can hope for is 80 min and if wearing a full insulated gumby style 3 hrs!The above assumes you are also wearing a life vest to keep your head above water or you die by drowning.This also assumes the initial shock doesn't stop your heart or compromise your airway by involuntary gasping of seawater.I am not encouraged by this report

46 minutes ago, thinwing said:

So if wearing a membrane suit the best you can hope for is 80 min and if wearing a full insulated gumby style 3 hrs!The above assumes you are also wearing a life vest to keep your head above water or you die by drowning.This also assumes the initial shock doesn't stop your heart or compromise your airway by involuntary gasping of seawater.I am not encouraged by this report

No it's not good is it. Lol. I will be wearing an insulated immersion suit and LJ also have a life raft. PLB flares and insulating space blankets. 

12 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

No it's not good is it. Lol. I will be wearing an insulated immersion suit and LJ also have a life raft. PLB flares and insulating space blankets. 

Don't forget the EPIRB !Do you have the equivalent coast guard standing by with rescue hoists and rescue swimmers!I am thinking somebody ought to effect a rescue pretty damned quick!

22 minutes ago, Hyett6420 said:

Last time I put on an immersion suit, it took me 10 minutes or so to struggle into it and another to extract myself.  I'd take the chicken way across near dover.  Wouldn't it just take 1/2 hour longer to slide down the coast a bit?  Maybe I'm just thinking about the frozen (or almost) lakes around here.  I think the channel is mid 40's.  Seems almost balmy in comparison.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, teejayevans said:

Your cabin door fits perfectly, was it always that way or did they do something to make it fit? My upper leading edge is raised, and I'm exploring fix options.

Hi teejay.  The cabin door has always fitted perfectly well.   If your leading edge doesnt fit, it just needs some slight metal adjustment.   If you look at handbuilt cars, they are all "modified" with a rubber mallet to get them to fit flush.   Speak to Don Max, i am sure he can give you some decent tipps on how to do this.