G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

11 minutes ago, KSMooniac said:

Looks like a great shop! Make sure to get a gear swing done before flight to check the rigging. It *is* possible for a paint ship to rig nose gear doors with the hinges backwards.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thank you for the reminder, ill make sure they do it correctly.  Once she is ready i want to see the doors closed to make sure are as tight and aerodynamic as possible.  

And yes they are a great shop.  

• Like 1

Almost there.  I have a date (sort of) now 14th Feb. My baby comes back to me on Valentine's Day. 
The fuselage has been painted and they were applying the masking decals.  I went there with Craig Barnett of Scheme Designers who did the scheme.  He poured his eagle eye over everything and seemed very content.  
Pics attached.  IMG_4022.thumb.JPG.dd604a2b0c25acbe46b22cdf2c031696.JPG
before decals
IMG_4024.thumb.JPG.d52e03ed4348290aded50665157dc061.JPG
close up of pearly paint
IMG_4032.thumb.JPG.71a564aa3f43718370532c50b3e090f0.JPG
masking decals 
IMG_4034.thumb.JPG.8b406ce540e2fbd7061e0869da65b63f.JPG
masking decals
IMG_4039.thumb.JPG.2778031c18d0ac5e46c1cc58bf34caa0.JPG
"da man" doing the decals.  
IMG_4046.thumb.JPG.e21cf7ff9c18d85fc93080893563002f.JPG
By mistake they painted the pucks so had to replace them. This is what they looked like when removed.  These "passed" the last annual. God knows how!
Andrew

You can tell a difference when you're taxiing. Seems to be smoother. You are going to be happy you changed those out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Aron Peterson said:

You can tell a difference when you're taxiing. Seems to be smoother. You are going to be happy you changed those out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yay. We were guessing as to whether we got more bounce or not.  Glad to hear not. (Possibly :) )

Andrew

22 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Three weeks to go. Painting almost done. Then interior in and test flights. :)   Happy baby. IMG_4082.thumb.JPG.031d7090b91342480fa8239605ba08c2.JPG

Andrew, you might have them add the stops to the cowl that keeps air pressure from causing it to "ride up" and egg out the holes. Byron Rogers has a few pics of what is needed, and an old time Mooney guy Bumper, has a detailed description of the fix. It involves fiberglass stops on the cowl and an L bracket added to the firewall.

7 minutes ago, mike_elliott said:

Andrew, you might have them add the stops to the cowl that keeps air pressure from causing it to "ride up" and egg out the holes. Byron Rogers has a few pics of what is needed, and an old time Mooney guy Bumper, has a detailed description of the fix. It involves fiberglass stops on the cowl and an L bracket added to the firewall.

Oooh thanks Mike, ill investigate.  Thank you.  

Ok.  I have a final final date of the 4th March.   So this week the final lacquer coat is going on.  (Possibly today even). Then the flying surfsces are being attached, rigged, tuned etc.  Interior is being added next week.  Flight testing is being done next wek and the following week.  We have asked for at least 5 hours minimum to be carried out before we get anywhere near the aircraft.  My partner and i will then fly for two hours each and include a full test of all the instruments and AP.  Then we get into our immersion suits and take her back home.  I CANNOT WAIT.

i have a powerpoint slideshow which i have put together of the paint process.  Ill post it when all the flight controls are back on.  To give you an example of the quality, the paint stripes you can see, continue on the inside of the flight controls, ie the bit that is normally hidden and painters ignore.  

Watch this space, you will soon see the finished result. :)  

• Like 7

On 2017-02-15 at 4:19 PM, Hyett6420 said:

Then we get into our immersion suits and take her back home. 

Is that a serious comment or just a joke?  Popping over from Dover to Calais is only 19NM, well within gliding distance if you're above 5000 or so.  The narrowest crossing of Lake Michigan is 42NM.  We climb to 11k-12k and hope for the best in the middle 10 minutes or so.  Amazing how the engine sounds rough over water.....

P.S. Looks wonderful !

12 minutes ago, Cyril Gibb said:

Is that a serious comment or just a joke?  Popping over from Dover to Calais is only 19NM, well within gliding distance if you're above 5000 or so.  The narrowest crossing of Lake Michigan is 42NM.  We climb to 11k-12k and hope for the best in the middle 10 minutes or so.  Amazing how the engine sounds rough over water.....

P.S. Looks wonderful !

No serious comment.  We fly direct from Haamstede to Clacton more than 19nm.   Its the North Sea in Winter, ie death in a minute or two if we go in.  So in case of issues we are being prepared.  

Andrew

• Like 1

Popping over from Dover to Calais is only 19NM, well within gliding distance if you're above 5000 or so.

Just to keep it real here, my J would need to be at 8,000 agl to glide 19nm (my POH says 8,750 agl). 5,000' buys me about 11-12 miles at most.

I'm not wanting to come across as an "arse" (as Andrew would put it); I just wanted to make sure nobody might try to stretch a glide that far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, cnoe said:

Just to keep it real here, my J would need to be at 8,000 agl to glide 19nm (my POH says 8,750 agl). 5,000' buys me about 11-12 miles at most.

I'm not wanting to come across as an "arse" (as Andrew would put itemoji846.png); I just wanted to make sure nobody might try to stretch a glide that far.

19 NM is 9.5NM to either shore from the middle.  My glide is >2NM / 1000 FT, so 5,000 would get me to shore one way or the other.  Now mind you, based on the many channel crossings I've done on the surface, if you can ditch in one piece with those winter seas you're one lucky guy.

• Like 2

19 NM is 9.5NM to either shore from the middle.  My glide is >2NM / 1000 FT, so 5,000 would get me to shore one way or the other.  Now mind you, based on the many channel crossings I've done on the surface, if you can ditch in one piece with those winter seas you're one lucky guy.

You are absolutely right; sorry for my confusion. When I saw the words "19nm, well within gliding distance" (from 5,000 agl) my heart skipped a beat.

Isn't it amazing how many strange noises an engine makes when flying over water?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, thinwing said:

Ah auto rough!....ca chunk...ca chunka chunka...over great slave lake,or up inland passage to Ak....how about mid ocean HI to oak 900 mm from landfall..

No thanks, my whole plane made enough funny noises when Palm Beach vectored me to Lauderdale via the Everglades, descending me to 2000'. Mud, water, alligators . . .

Edited by Hank

Just now, Hank said:

No thanks, my whole plane made enough funny noises when Palm Beach vectored me to Lauderdale via the Everglades, descending me to 2000'. Mud, water, alligators . . .

I did that just today and didn't think twice about it.

Keep in mind that the Everglades is extremely shallow, so if you did go down, you wouldn't sink - although I can't guarantee that you wouldn't be somebody's meal that day.

5 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I did that just today and didn't think twice about it.

Keep in mind that the Everglades is extremely shallow, so if you did go down, you wouldn't sink - although I can't guarantee that you wouldn't be somebody's meal that day.

You're from there, it makes a difference. Home field advantage . . . . Just like mountains don't bother  me much.

Edited by Hank

In fact on Cyrils route, you are more likely to be mowed down by a container ship as that stretch of water is the busieist shipping channel in the world, ive sailed across ot lots of times and it is SCARY.  

The immersion suit basically buys you time to get into the life raft (if you havent been killed in the ditching) and get safely away before your legs and other extremities begin to shut down in the 2-5 degree water.   

HYPOTHERMIA CHART

Hypothermia Chart
Water Temp (degrees) Hypothermia Index Exhaustion or Unconciousness Expected Survival Time
20 to 32 degrees EXTREME Under 7 minutes Under 7-22 minutes
32.5 degrees EXTREME Under 15 minutes Under 15-45 minutes
32.5 to 40 degrees SEVERE 15 to 30 minutes 30 to 90 minutes
40 to 50 degrees HIGH 30 to 60 minutes 1 to 3 hours
50 to 60 degrees CAUTION 1 to 2 hours 1 to 6 hours
60 to 70 degrees MEDIUM 2 to 7 hours 2 to 40 hours
70 to 80 degrees LOW 3 to 12 hours 3 hours to indefinite
Over 80 degrees NONE Indefinite Indefinite

Ive even put the temps in farenheit for you. :). Note these times are for a very fit healthy person, if you are not (ie all of us) then the times are shorter and we as most of us are older are more likely to go into cardiac shock as we hit the water or soon after.  

Two charts that give people the willies...

Useful time of conscientiousness

-&-

Hypothermia chart

I have picked up enough life experience that I don't want to test the data any further....

To add to the misery that cold water is, the muscles don't work no matter how strong your brain is at sending swim now signals.  :(

Thanks for sharing the details,

-a-

Edited by carusoam
  • Like 1