G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

Somehow I don't think AL will be ready for a timely birthday present, unless this is 2018's present.  IIRC your 2017 birthday coincides with our Presidential Inauguration.  So Happy Birthday.

When you take AL up for the first few flights, stay out of heavy rain.  The paint may still be curing for some time, and you don't want to damage your leading edge paint.  I speak from experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neilpilot said:

Somehow I don't think AL will be ready for a timely birthday present, unless this is 2018's present.  IIRC your 2017 birthday coincides with our Presidential Inauguration.  So Happy Birthday.

When you take AL up for the first few flights, stay out of heavy rain.  The paint may still be curing for some time, and you don't want to damage your leading edge paint.  I speak from experience.

This is true Neil.  But APD has decided to take me to Helsinki as a commiseration present so I am spending Friday in a wood fired sauna and spa complex.  Heaven.  

43 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

She is really shaping up. I like the idea of painting the landing gear white, I'm not crazy about schemes in which the gear is the same as the contrasting color.

Gear is white.  Gear doors will match the wing underwing colour. (Secret at this stage. )

• Like 2

AL has been down for a while and I imagine you haven't been flying since. Our recent overhaul kept the Mooney out of commission for a full three months and in that time I hadn't flown at all, until last weekend. When they say rust builds up quickly they aren't kidding. If you have the ability to rent or go up in a friends plane, I would highly suggest you do in order to stay current.

Can I assume that when you pick her up that you will be taking an instructor with you?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, flyboy0681 said:

AL has been down for a while and I imagine you haven't been flying since. Our recent overhaul kept the Mooney out of commission for a full three months and in that time I hadn't flown at all, until last weekend. When they say rust builds up quickly they aren't kidding. If you have the ability to rent or go up in a friends plane, I would highly suggest you do in order to stay current.

Can I assume that when you pick her up that you will be taking an instructor with you?

Well I have flown, but in a 152 (power ratio = wet fart), landings and the flight were perfect albeit DAMN slow, you cross the threshold at WHAT speed?

I will share with you all my plan:-

• Engineer will put plane back together
  • Flight test pilot (Seppe use the same one every time) will put 5 hours on the aircraft (my figure, theirs was less) to make sure everything as far as he is concerned works, flight controls, gear, radios, AP, engine Ts & Ps etc.
  • I will test fly aircraft afterwards, with him in right hand seat, do about 2-3 hours to get comfortable again, then my co -owner will do the same. 
  • Then if all OK we shall fly her home.

Andrew

• Like 2

On 1/18/2017 at 4:46 PM, bradp said:

Nice that they are doing that first flight too. After my paint job totally mis rigged and guess who found out. :)- me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My scariest flight was with a Pitts s1s right out of paint shop...required 3/4 left stick for level flight...ran off into the grass at the mountain strip on a plateau....no real damage but I did wack a taxi light while going off the runway...Took something like 7 washers under interplane struts to get correct...anyone who has flown a PiTT Special knows what it is like to land one and how it felt to land one so out of trim.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Almost there.  I have a date (sort of) now 14th Feb. My baby comes back to me on Valentine's Day. 

The fuselage has been painted and they were applying the masking decals.  I went there with Craig Barnett of Scheme Designers who did the scheme.  He poured his eagle eye over everything and seemed very content.  

Pics attached.  IMG_4022.JPG

before decals

IMG_4024.JPG

close up of pearly paint

IMG_4032.JPG

masking decals 

IMG_4034.JPG

masking decals

IMG_4039.JPG

"da man" doing the decals.  

IMG_4046.JPG

By mistake they painted the pucks so had to replace them. This is what they looked like when removed.  These "passed" the last annual. God knows how!

Andrew

• Like 2

I am glad the pucks got replaced, she is sitting a lot higher now. :)   But to be honest, i just cant wait to get her home.  Seeing the paint go on at last has made me slightly impatient.  

There is a large uk fly in on the 26th feb that i want to go to.  Something like 50 planes are coming so it should be great.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Hyett6420 said:

Nope its a trans sexual Commanche who has decided he has always wanted to be a she Mooney. :).  Sorry Clarence i couldnt resist.  

You can tell it's a Mooney, it has an itty bitty engine.

Clarence