G-OBAL refit

Hyett6420

Well it has finally arrived. That day when baby was left at the airport ready for her major surgery.  She is being completely stripped down to bare metal, then a full re-spray. At the same time the interior is being removed and shipped to aero comfort for them to work their magic. 

I feel like a nervous parent whose child has just gone into Theatre for an operation.  I almost cried when I left her on Friday. She is in good hands I know, but worrying never the less. 

Attsched is the last photo of her in her old paint scheme, and old interior. 

AndrewIMG_3579.JPGIMG_3594.JPGIMG_3607.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, flyboy0681 said:

I'm anxious to see the Aero Comfort work. I may be next in line.

I was fortunate last summer to sit in a post aero comfort Mooney at their factory.  Oh boy it is what convinced me  the workmanship was out of this world.  I was very impressed and I am a picky  sod, but I couldn't fault it. 

Edited by Hyett6420
Fixing autocorrect
  • Like 1

Related to this makeover is Birds (no Chris Marauder not your type), the feathered kind.  How do you guys keep the birds from sitting on your Localiser aerials and shitting all over the tail plane?  I was thinking of putting bird spikes on some clips and clipping them on the aerials, remove at every flight obviously.

Ideas on a post card please.  We must ALL have come across this issue if we park outside.

Andrew

• Like 1

Holy cow that's a lot of parts.  Hope they all go back together without any extra parts left over.

as far as tail spikes go, one NJMPer (Don?) found an interesting solution from architectural applications.  They have something to keep pigeons off of roof peaks.  Bob also is the designer of that little device that covers the spinner openings that keeps water out.  Having chunks of ice form in your spinner is an annoying outdoor winter hazard.

For a better reference, 201er knows everyone in the NJMP org...

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

16 hours ago, carusoam said:

Holy cow that's a lot of parts.  Hope they all go back together without any extra parts left over.

as far as tail spikes go, one NJMPer (Bob?) found an interesting solution from architectural applications.  They have something to keep pigeons off of roof peaks.  Bob also is the designer of that little device that covers the spinner openings that keeps water out.  Having chunks of ice form in your spinner is an annoying outdoor winter hazard.

For a better reference, 201er knows everyone in the NJMP org...

Best regards,

-a-

Ah thank you. I'll ping him a DM. He has to keep his parrots off his tail plane anyway. ;)

• Like 1

On October 25, 2016 at 11:07 AM, Hyett6420 said:

I was fortunate last summer to sit in a post aero comfort Mooney at their factory.  Oh boy it is what convinced me  the workmanship was out of this world.  I was very impressed and I am a picky  sod, but I couldn't fault it. 

Picky sod? :):) you over the ponders talk funny. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So it was all going sooooooo well, then.....

"your left fuel tank is leaking so we need to reseal it."

well we knew about that so permission to ocnnect the machine to clean the tank etc.  I then get a phone call late yesterday

"you have corrosion in your spar in the left fuel tank"

no other details were given, but my heart sunk.  Surely AL cant be just scrap, thats not fair.  I went for a 6 mile run to work things out in my head.  They were talking abiut peeling skins back to get a better idea of the problem. 

Ill know more in a week when i go over there, but until then ill just have to get on with life and not think about it.

Hi guys

first of all what I am typing now I am doing on my phone without my glasses so apologies if it is gibberish. 

Thank you so much for your messages of support, they are greatly appreciated.  

To be honest I know no more than I have posted.  I have no pictures yet just a telephone conversation.  The pictures will come in a report next week. They had put the sealant removal machine on the left tank and removed the sealant so I am assuming the corrosion is behind the sealant.  Is it on the spar or the spar cap I also don't know at the moment.  

I promise I'll post more when I know. 

Andrew

Expect that you can find out a lot by photographs....

How long the corrosion has had to propagate can be important.

The ultimate test of how bad the corrosion is will probably be cleaning and measuring the depth of the missing material.

See if you can learn about how that is done.  A Mooney maintence manual is probably the place to start.

Running is a great way to clear the mind and improves oxygen flow to the thinker as well...  :)

Good luck with getting to the proper detail.

Best regards,

-a-

45 minutes ago, carusoam said:

Expect that you can find out a lot by photographs....

How long the corrosion has had to propagate can be important.

The ultimate test of how bad the corrosion is will probably be cleaning and measuring the depth of the missing material.

See if you can learn about how that is done.  A Mooney maintence manual is probably the place to start.

Running is a great way to clear the mind and improves oxygen flow to the thinker as well...  :)

Good luck with getting to the proper detail.

Best regards,

-a-

I think that on the cap i am allowed 10%, but yes it is definitely something i will investigate and find out about.  

The running was excellent, i had not done 6 miles in a few years but managed it and a lot of it was uphill.  I had also watched a video on you tube previously and changed my technique as a consequence.  Amazing  ran faster and it felt less effort was used.  Yes it does clear the head and allowed me to think a bit more clearly, get rid of the emotion and analyse the problem.  

Thanks and ill post more when I have it.