Hoskins Wingtip Strobe Lense - Any interest?

TargetDriver

My '80 K model has the Hoskins tip strobes (shown in attached picture). As you can see this lense is old, yellowed and has internal stress cracking. Right bulb went out several weeks ago and I'm making that repair/replacement. In the process I've found that there are no replacements for this particular strobe lense. NO, I don't want to go to LED or switch to Whelen yet so not going down that road. After pulling both tip lenses searching for part numbers or some sort of identification, there are none. Even the Hoskins housing doesn't have identifiable part numbers on them.   I am making molds to replicate the lenses and shot in a modern polycarbonate similar to lexan. They will be exact reproductions in crystal clear and nearly unbreakable and more than tolerant of the residual heat.  Since they do not have an associated part number and are part of an assembly, the replacement should be allowed.  All materials are far advanced to what the originals were made out of and are within .003 tolerance of both my originals. This should fall into the fit and functionality allowance for reproduced parts. (?)   I should have pictures of the new ones hopefully by the end of this week.

If anyone needs some and is interested in them please let me know. (PM me)     If the plane police are gonna hunt me down because I've misunderstood the rules for a non-critical-of-flight component and made my aircraft safer and better than it was originally, someone else please let me know.  :)      ...if that's the case I'll go petition the hanger fairies ...

Tip Pic.jpg

assy pic.jpg

I've found a strobe that makes it new again ... but it does need a touch of "field repair-it is" but it's very doable and looks professional... almost can't tell its ever been touched.  I've thought about just setting up to do them for guys but they'd have to send them back and forth. Could be done in just a couple days. 

Not sure about the cost yet on the lenses but it's looking like it would be around $45-50 ea. I'll still end up eating a bunch on the mold process, but I've been known to do that before.  Funny, I've always been good at doing about anything, but seem to be not-so-sharp at business.    Maybe that's why I'm not flying a new Mooney.   HA!

• Like 2

I'm having a heck of a time finding wing tip lenses for a tip mod that was put on my E - they were made by Southwest Texas Aviation, Inc. The great folks down there that re-opened SWTI are working on figuring out if there is a way to reproduce just the lens, but it's proven difficult as they haven't been manufactured in a long time. They do have the mold, but no one to manufacture it yet.

This lens tip looks a lot like the one I have. I wonder if it's the same or if there are differences. Any ideas for how I could figure that out? I know, for one, that the lens tip I have has screws on the top part, whereas yours look covered. My left lens is badly cracked and needs to be replaced. Good luck in your endeavor here, I imagine i'll be paying a lot more than $50 for a new lens cover if I can find it.

• Like 1

Mea culpa.  I didn't see the pics from the OP. They're a different style. 

Looks like a mold is the way to go, since they have that fresnel lens shape on the outside. Although polycarbonate is tough it cannot withstand UV, after a few years of sun exposure it turns yellow and brittle. Acrylic (plexiglas) won't do that.  

Edited by jetdriven

update on the new lens mold...Here's the new lens right out of the mold. (still has mold release on the inner side)  next to the one it's replacing.   Need a couple more shots to perfect temperature and soak time in vacuum to completely remove all minute air bubbles.  But still is 100 times better than the old one.

20161101_100552.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, carusoam said:

TD,

your hangar Faries are pretty talented!  What did you make the mold with?  Do you have an injection molding machine for that?

Just call me an old plastics guy with interest in this kind of stuf...

Best regards,

-a-

I used to design investment casting molds for wax and such on the side.  This mold doesn't have the complexity of a full injection mold but is only a single cavity at this point.  If there was a need for any volume I'd make another and shoot two at a time.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TargetDriver said:

Should be able to. Send me a picture and I'll know right away and let you know.  

I was wondering about the Klixon switch covers which I think you have in your plane.  There have been multiple attempts to replicate them by 3D printing but the results have been less than optimal.  Maybe injection molding is the answer.  There have been multiple threads on the topic:

• 4 weeks later...

Update... Back from short deployment finally and shot another lens. Did the necessary drill and tap and even inlaid new Whelen A610 flash bulbs (to correct what I thought the original problem was- a bad bulb). All put together and back on the plane... flipped the switch and walaaa.... not so much - only the left wing strobe works...beautifully and bright white now but still no right wing tip strobe.  Daaa, bad power supply I guess. Back to the plane tonight to see which power supply it has.

Strobe lights-Reman.jpg

1 hour ago, TargetDriver said:

Update... Back from short deployment finally and shot another lens. Did the necessary drill and tap and even inlaid new Whelen A610 flash bulbs (to correct what I thought the original problem was- a bad bulb). All put together and back on the plane... flipped the switch and walaaa.... not so much - only the left wing strobe works...beautifully and bright white now but still no right wing tip strobe.  Daaa, bad power supply I guess. Back to the plane tonight to see which power supply it has.

Strobe lights-Reman.jpg

Maybe you already know this but Hoskins connectors and Whelen connectors are wired differently. If you swap in a Whelen bulb you will need to swap a couple pins in the connector. 

Yep. It's swapping the white and black as they have different triggers.  I think I read that from one of your previous posts. :)   Did them both the same. The left one worked great, nada on the right.  Headed to the airport to see which power supply it has. From reading previous posts, it could be any number of options. 

Interestingly enough after scanning my log books since day one, the right wing strobe power supply has been changed 4 times, the left side, not once. Do flash neutrons tend to gravitate more to the right or what ?  :) 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TargetDriver said:

Interestingly enough after scanning my log books since day one, the right wing strobe power supply has been changed 4 times, the left side, not once. Do flash neutrons tend to gravitate more to the right or what ?  :) 

It's all the left turns in the pattern. The electrons run out of the right wing and into the left. 

On 10/25/2016 at 5:51 PM, highlowfastslow said:

Are you referring to my post and the SWTA lenses? If you have a spare one of the left tip I'd definitely buy it off you.

Are you sure a standard J style lens won't fit? I had J style tips on my C and broke one of the lenses. I got a replacement from Mooney. It needed a fair amount of trimming and fitting, but in the end no one can tell it isn't factory.