how many of you are using led nav lights?

rbridges

I noticed one of my nav lights went bad.  Just replaced the other one a few months ago.  Thinking about replacing just the nav lights with led bulbs?  Anyone having issues radio noise?  Not wanting to turn this into a legality thread, just wanting an idea if people are using them and what they're using.

I wax lucky enough (again) to win a set of Sextant LED navlights at the Mooney Caravan. I installed them in August. These do have the strobe feature. I have paid attention about EMI issues and all I have noted is a very low level noise in the headsets when they are turned on however the level is so low that I can only hear it when the radios are squelched. I am assuming that whatever oscillator they have makes it way (but not in a significant manner) to he supply voltage (12 V).

Yves

8 hours ago, Hank said:

I get a low beep in the headsets from the Whelen LED belly strobe, but less than with the old high-voltage flasher. Nothing at all from the LED landing light, which is on all the time.

I have the same issue. I'm not bothered by it especially if I have my heavy metal music cranked up loud enough, I don't even hear it. I have a Whelen Parmetheus for the landing light, Whelen Orion 600 on the wingtips, Orion 500 on the tail and a Whelen LED beacon on the belly. 

IMG_0218.MOV

14 hours ago, yvesg said:

I wax lucky enough (again) to win a set of Sextant LED navlights at the Mooney Caravan. I installed them in August. These do have the strobe feature. I have paid attention about EMI issues and all I have noted is a very low level noise in the headsets when they are turned on however the level is so low that I can only hear it when the radios are squelched. I am assuming that whatever oscillator they have makes it way (but not in a significant manner) to he supply voltage (12 V).

Yves

Can you wrap the power wire around a ferrite choke once to kill that noise?

22 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Which wire? The one that connects to the switch? Possibly. 

My opinion is that the amount of noise added is not significant enough to mandate trying to decrease it by putting any low pass filter.

Yves

Which wire? The one that connects to the switch? Possibly. 
My opinion is that the amount of noise added is not significant enough to mandate trying to decrease it by putting any low pass filter.
Yves

It is interesting what can cause radio interference. The problem in the video was resolved by a ferrite filter on the JPI's annunicator lead. In my case, this interference was a safety issue. It caused so my interference on some frequencies that I could not hear ATC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...