IPAD Case

Aviator

I am looking to acquire an IPAD case for both cockpit and general use.  One consideration is the MYGOFLIGHT CASE.  Any observations/evaluations of that or other IPAD cases would be appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Flynn

Edited by Aviator

I have the iPad Mini Universal Kneeboard Folio C. I love it. My mini never comes out of the folio even at home. The clipboard is magnetic so you can pull it off easily. And the Velcro strap comes off and stays in the flight bag at home. The clip board has some great quick reference material printed on it great for IFR flying. I also bought one of their flight bags, the small one. Great products, a bit pricey but I've been happy with them. There are YouTube videos on it, that's how I made my decision.

Mike

OtterBox is designed for people that know they are going to drop things...

a perfect solution for my telephone or the things that you carry with you every day.  The every day thing is what allows you to forget how simple it is to drop and damage the expensive item...

Best regards,

-a-

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2016 at 2:12 PM, carusoam said:

OtterBox is designed for people that know they are going to drop things...

a perfect solution for my telephone or the things that you carry with you every day.  The every day thing is what allows you to forget how simple it is to drop and damage the expensive item...

Best regards,

-a-

You never know when that drop is gonna happen! I've had iPads for years with no drops, mounted on my yoke with a magnetic mount. Just yesterday after shutdown I took it off of the mount and put it on the seat next to me. It being so slick (Mooney like!), it  slid down the right side of my passenger seat, quickly gained speed, slid out of my door I just previously opened, then slid down the front of my wing then *splat* on the tarmac destroying the screen. This slide was at the optimal direction (around 2 o'clock) to exit the airplane as almost any other direction would have caused it to slide on the airplane floor and not exit or maybe have a chance to stop on my wing walk. Had a screen protector on it, which only saved the screen from losing the little fragmented screen pieces. Just found out replacing the screen is a $200 fix I hear for a $5-600 item. Ouch!

Now having joined the "dropped one club" I'm wondering if an otter box or more expensive screen protector would have saved it from that fate, has anyone had an uneventful iPad drop using some product to protect it?

You never know when that drop is gonna happen! I've had iPads for years with no drops, mounted on my yoke with a magnetic mount. Just yesterday after shutdown I took it off of the mount and put it on the seat next to me. It being so slick (Mooney like!), it  slid down the right side of my passenger seat, quickly gained speed, slid out of my door I just previously opened, then slid down the front of my wing then *splat* on the tarmac destroying the screen. This slide was at the optimal direction (around 2 o'clock) to exit the airplane as almost any other direction would have caused it to slide on the airplane floor and not exit or maybe have a chance to stop on my wing walk. Had a screen protector on it, which only saved the screen from losing the little fragmented screen pieces. Just found out replacing the screen is a $200 fix I hear for a $5-600 item. Ouch!

Now having joined the "dropped one club" I'm wondering if an otter box or more expensive screen protector would have saved it from that fate, has anyone had an uneventful iPad drop using some product to protect it?

I use a (water resistant) Otter Box for my backup iPhone, and its a really nice unit. I transport my Mini in a neoprene case, but I too managed to have it slide off the passenger seat, onto the wing walk, and then to the hangar floor. The screen cracked, and it cost me about $100 to have it replaced (not by Apple). Learned my lesson. When it is not in the Ram yoke mount, it is in the neoprene case. Being clumsy, I have dropped the Mini4 while in the neoprene case more than once, and never had any damage. This neoprene case is envelope style, with a top zipper closure. The manufacturer makes them for Minis and iPads

c182700cf95fc05b11c7546ef345e91e.jpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bennett said:

I use a (water resistant) Otter Box for my backup iPhone, and its a really nice unit. I transport my Mini in a neoprene case, but I too managed to have it slide off the passenger seat, onto the wing walk, and then to the hangar floor. The screen cracked, and it cost me about $100 to have it replaced (not by Apple). Learned my lesson. When it is not in the Ram yoke mount, it is in the neoprene case. Being clumsy, I have dropped the Mini4 while in the neoprene case more than once, and never had any damage. This neoprene case is envelope style, with a top zipper closure. The manufacturer makes them for Minis and iPads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Bennet, wow, not an uncommon occurrence! I do have a few neoprene cases, which it didn't make it into this time unfortunately! Ok I have now added to my shutdown checklist:

- find neoprene case for iPad and insert iPad into case and stow away immediately upon dismounting Before opening the cabin door. I think That should cover it!  

Wow $100 for a mini 4 screen replacement? I'll shop around a little for replacement screen, I found a mail in that claims $100 including lifetime warranty, seems too good to be true.

3 hours ago, JohnB said:

I've dropped my ipad a few times, and it's been fine. same with my smaller and lighter phone.  My kids hate the otterbox cases, but I swear by them.  I did have a heat warning on one flight when it was in direct sunlight the whole time.  I ended up removing it from the yoke and holding it in my lap.