West Coast support for King KFC150?

Diesel 10

• 3 weeks later...

Fixing my KFC-150 has been a long, strange journey but it appears to be at an end (I am nervous as I type this that I may be jinxing it!).  A short visit to Executive Autopilot at KSAC Sacramento appears to have resolved everything.  Also they were the cheapest invoice I received on this journey.  My computer went to APC twice and my pitch servo once and the plane spent a lot of time at a local avionics shop.  In retrospect I whish I had bit the bullet sooner and taken the aircraft to Executive Autopilot.  This would have allowed an expert shop with King diagnostic equipment to look at the whole issue rather than try to diagnose pieces.

Thanks for all the input along the way.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 1:31 AM, Diesel 10 said:

Fixing my KFC-150 has been a long, strange journey but it appears to be at an end (I am nervous as I type this that I may be jinxing it!).  A short visit to Executive Autopilot at KSAC Sacramento appears to have resolved everything.  Also they were the cheapest invoice I received on this journey.  My computer went to APC twice and my pitch servo once and the plane spent a lot of time at a local avionics shop.  In retrospect I whish I had bit the bullet sooner and taken the aircraft to Executive Autopilot.  This would have allowed an expert shop with King diagnostic equipment to look at the whole issue rather than try to diagnose pieces.

Thanks for all the input along the way.

Very glad to hear this!  How long did they take?  Was it short enough to be able to stay with the plane (couple days)?

Yes the work got done in a day or so.  I juggled the drop off and pick-up around business trips.  So I didn't stay down there but I could have.  

Sadly the KFC-150 has just started failing its pre-flight test again so I may be heading back down :(.

• 2 weeks later...

As I mentioned in the previous post, I am still having intermittent issues with the KFC-150.  It is always related to passing (or not!) it's self-test. I wanted to pass on the following observations from my experience with the KFC150 autopilot yesterday.  It would be great to hear if anyone else has had similar issues.  I took the plane for a 1.5hr cross country to Spokane.  It had already flown 3 times that day and it was quite hot (at least by PNW standards) +90F  when we departed.  The KFC-150 did not pass its selftest on the ground but the electric trim worked well.  During the climbout, I noted that the front panel of the kfc150 was very hot to touch.  I tried the self test and it still failed.  Once we got to cruise at 11k (much cooler), the kfc150 passed its self test and continued to work for the rest of the flight.  I watched it very closely but it performed properly all the way to Felts.   On the return flight, the same sequence occurred.  No joy on the self test on the ground but once we got to cooler altitudes, it passed its self test and continued to work fine all the way back to Seattle.

I am suspicious that there is a heating issue going on here.  Any similar experiences would be appreciated!