WANTED: panel lighting rheostat M20J

ujhan

G'day folks, I've got a faulty rheostat on my panel and am looking for a replacement part - JS1N056P251MA - just looking for someone parting one out. I've sent a part request through to lasar...

Thanks.

Edited by ujhan

I just bypassed the rheostat and only use the switch position. I never dimmed it, just full brightness.

In the old days (before Loran & GPS) dimming red panel lights helped in achieving visual acuity to find that dim far airport beacon on the horizon. But with today GPS and moving maps dimming is not really necessary. I would rather have a bright clear view of the airspeed indicator and altimeter.

José

• Like 1

Jose,

My panel lights must be too bright then.  If I turn my lights up at night it is actually uncomforatable on my eyes and, looking out the windows creates a fair amount of reflection on the glass.  I generally fly with them turned very low.

Tim

I've been troubleshooting my glareshield lights recently. I have my panel lights but no glareshield or trim/flap indicator lights. Does anyone know if the trim/flap indicator light is tied to the glareshield? I was hoping it was just a burned out fuse but that's not the case.

I've been troubleshooting my glareshield lights recently. I have my panel lights but no glareshield or trim/flap indicator lights. Does anyone know if the trim/flap indicator light is tied to the glareshield? I was hoping it was just a burned out fuse but that's not the case.

Yes. They are on the same circuit.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

They are on the same circuit but, they have separate wires powering each set of lights coming from behind the rheostat.  I had one come off just last week that controlled the glareshield while all the others worked fine.  Took a while to figure out the problem because I didn't realize there was more than one power wire.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, helitim said:

They are on the same circuit but, they have separate wires powering each set of lights coming from behind the rheostat.  I had one come off just last week that controlled the glareshield while all the others worked fine.  Took a while to figure out the problem because I didn't realize there was more than one power wire.  

I'm guessing that's what I have going on. I pulled the glareshield completely off and couldn't find anything. I think I'm going to take a closer look at the rheostat. Thanks for the help!

• Like 1

Parts for Sale I have several Mooney parts for sale from a 1969 G model. Brand new voltage regulator (never used). Instrument light rheostat controller, cowling plugs and like new fuselage/cockpit and tail feather covers. G model POH. Contact me at Wilson Brown, located in Georgia, 678-469-6182

On 10/25/2016 at 11:11 AM, helitim said:

Follow the wires from the back of the rheostat to the resistor connection.  That's where my problem was.

Well, I found the problem. I pulled the rheostat and followed the wires like you suggested. Everything looked good. One of my employees father is an electronics whiz so I had him take a look at it. Turns out the transistor wasn't fully working and also the screw that holds the transistor is wasn't grounding properly. I reinstalled it today and my glareshield and flap/trim lights work normally. There was a schematic on the rheostat cover that shows the glareshield, trim/flap and also compass lights are all on the same circuit. Never would've guessed. Easy, low cost fix this time!

• Like 4

On 10/24/2016 at 10:21 AM, kevinw said:

It is tied to the glareshield on ours. Ours didn't work for a long time and now does. The instrument lights don't work now

It is tied to the glareshield on ours. Ours didn't work for a long time and now does. The instrument lights don't work now

Got it fixed. There are two transistors on the back of the rheostat; one for the panel and one for the glareshield. My glareshield one was bad and that knocked out the trim/flap and compass lights with it. You may want to check the panel lights transistor on yours. While you're there make sure a wire didn't come loose inside the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk