Hypoxia Training

mike_elliott

I just received an email saying the Mooney Summit will be on CAMI's 2018 Schedule to have their remote PROTE reduced Oxygen training in Panama City Beach! I have pushed hard for this with everyone including Tindal AFB, AOPA, the FAA and congress! Those of us who fly at or above 9K really need this training as hypoxia is such an insidious killer. We had to reach out to one Mooney widow already because of hypoxia. Now we have the ability to educate ourselves on how we individually re-act. I know, those of you who attended the last Mooney Summit a few weeks ago will recall Major Mari Metzler (Mars) telling of how alcohol brings out some of the same "tells", but we feel a more professional approach is in order vs. just having more beer and wine at the reception :)

Thanks George, David, Mars, Ron, and all those who have so actively pushed for this to happen! Stay tuned for more details!

• Like 8

I was signed up for a chamber ride at ASU about a month ago. After reading an article about the negative health effects and reading the release that I had to sign for the ride I canceled. The thought of getting locked in a room that I cannot get out of unless someone lets me out of that can kill me seems like too much risk for the reward. The chamber had no automatic controls, no automatic safety systems. If the lone operator had a hart attack while the valve was open, all the people would die without a space suit. The chamber will go to FL930.

The reduced oxygen chamber is much safer. I'm sure you can open the chamber from the inside.

Chamber Release Form - New.pdf

Chamber.pdf

Edited by N201MKTurbo

2 hours ago, Hank said:

That's great news, Mike! Looking forward to the checkout next fall.

It will be in 2018, unless the fiscal year end of the FAA makes the Mooney Summit V next Oct. fall into their Fiscal year 2018, Hank. They are booked that far out!

• 8 months later...

I am saddened to say I just received the following email from the FAA. Apparently, we have been the victim of their travel budget and CAMI will not bring the PROTE unit to the Mooney Summit VI, scheduled for Sept 27- Sept 30, 2018. Previously, the Mooney Summit VI was on their schedule

Perhaps we may get this very necessary and vital training in 2019....

Mike,

Due to budget restrictions we had to cut down our travel.

Don

Sent: July 11, 2017 11:09 AM
To: Demuth, Donald (FAA) <
Donald.Demuth@faa.gov>
Subject: RE: FAA PROTE Schedule 2018

Hi Don, 

We were on the 2018 schedule, and now we are not?

Panama city Beach Fl.

Please advise as I have told the world we were having CAMI bring the Prote unit per the previous email you sent me.

Thanks

Mike Elliott 

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Donald.Demuth@faa.gov
Date: 7/11/17 8:09 AM (GMT-07:00)
To:
jsteele@ppclubricants.com, tperkowski@att.net, marywunder@gmail.com, jim@herdware.net, gibbst@unk.edu, terri.l.wolcott@faa.gov, mike@aviating.com, michaelksamp@gmail.com, myronyoder@gmail.com, Lexpert@lexpertresearch.com, craigdavis@suu.edu, wingz4359y@hotmail.com, atpbill@gmail.com, kkalishek@yahoo.com
Cc: rogers.v.shaw@faa.gov
Subject: FAA PROTE Schedule 2018

We just completed the 2018 PROTE travel schedule  We received over 20 PROTE request, but due to our limited manning and budget we were only able to support 6 PROTE trips!   

Atlanta                                               Feb 2018

Reno (Women in Aviation)            Mar 2018

Lakeland, FL (Sun N Fun)                Apr 2018

Seattle                                               May 2018

NY City                                               Jun 2018

Oshkosh                                            Jul 2018

Denver                                               Sep 2018

If you would like to remain on the possible 2019 PROTE trips please respond.   We are mandated to support WIA, Sun N Fun, and Oshkosh every year so that only leave us with 4 or 5 additional trips per year.  

While it is unlikely for 2018, We have processes in place (and on the hill) to see about getting it for 2019. Meanwhile, the prote unit will be available at OSH and SunNFun in 2018. Those going to OSHKOSH, take the opportunity to stop by the FAA display and let CAMI group know how important it is for us bug smashers that occupy the 10-17K region of airspace. Put in a pitch for them to find the sheckles to bring their chamber to the Mooney Summit!

• Like 1

As an airman in the military I have gone thru the  hyperbaric chamber numerous times, it is easy to miss the signs of hypoxia until it is too late. while in the chamber doing tasks you feel fine, it is even funny to watch what others are doing. even in the chamber where you are hypersensitive you do not realize how impaired you were until you put the oxygen back on and your hear clears. the better shape you are in the longer it takes for hypoxia to set in but no one is immune. this is a great tool for all pilots, not just the ones flying high, if you have poor circulation or low pulse ox levels you can actually become hypoxic at lower levels.

Brian

• Like 4