Brittain AccuTrak AccuFlite and Altitude Hold

ken66770

We just got the plane back from Brittain after having the AccuTrak and Pitch Stabilization systems overhauled and AccuFlite added to the system. The instruction manuals assume a simple "nothing to it" stance that I am having some trouble adapting to. I haven't had the opportunity to really spend much time flying with the system yet, but so far I can't seem to get it all together. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might shorten the learning curve?

We just got the plane back from Brittain after having the AccuTrak and Pitch Stabilization systems overhauled and AccuFlite added to the system. The instruction manuals assume a simple "nothing to it" stance that I am having some trouble adapting to. I haven't had the opportunity to really spend much time flying with the system yet, but so far I can't seem to get it all together. Does anyone have any tips or tricks that might shorten the learning curve?

Need a little more info. What specifically are you having trouble with? Is it the Accutrack?

I took the plane up again yesterday and spent a couple of hours tracking VOR-VOR and then simulated approaches.

I started with just the altitude hold:  at altitude trim the plane for straight and level at the desired altitude pull the left knob OUT then the right knob OUT. The system appears to hold okay within a hundred feet. Turn it off by pushing the right knob in. Does that sound about right? Everything in this system is newly overhauled, so it should hold a little better I would think.

AccuTrak: Tracks a VOR radial or the Garmin 430W. If you are not on the desired radial it does not seem to look for the heading and intercept it. Same with the 430 bearing. If you have already set the plane on course then it seems to follow as I would expect.

AccuFlite: Intercepts a course set with the bug on the Directional Gyro with a standard rate turn and a smooth roll out. Seems to work okay as long as the intercept angle is not to far off. In other words a turn from 360 to 180 doesn't seem to work. I need to check this out further. Also, the AccuFlite is supposed to work with the AccuTrak  for vectored approaches, at least I think it should. I'm a little fuzzy on the exact procedure. Assume we are on course as assigned by ATC, Vectors to final, the 430 is Loaded but not activated for the approach, Accuflite is ON AccuTrak OFF. New vector - set with the heading bug. At last vector activate the approach on the 430 and turn on the Accutrak with the Accuflite set to the final approach course? That all appears to work but a little complicated. Of course I realize the system is NOT approved for approaches and is supposed to be turn off.

Am I on the right track? Pun intended.

Ken

Accu-Flite is designed to Trak a heading bug.  NOT designed to intercept a radial.

Accu-Trak is designed to Trak a VOR or GPS Heading.  NOT designed to intercept/capture.

Altitude hold is designed to control pitch (climb decent) or HOLD an altitude...It works pretty well.

• Like 1

I fly the same system except my alt hold is an Stec 30 ad-on.   A couple of comments- your milage may vary.

When utilizing AccuFlite to perform an 180 course reversal it helps to adjust the bug slightly in the direction you wish the AC to initiate the turn.  Then after 5 or 10 degrees set the bug to the final course.  Otherwise, the AC may choose the opposite direction.  

Unless I'm be vectored I always use both anytime I'm letting George fly.   For me they work better as a team.

My AC will do a great job of intercepting a radial.    Even an 80 degree intercept will only result in a one or two dot overshoot.  ( I do not have a roll steering coupler)  A normal intercept works beautifully.  Activate the leg in the GPS and turn the Accutrak on then set the AaccuFlite bug to the radials course and sit back.  The AccuFlite and AccuTrak will negotiate the heading until the ACs track is aligned with the radials.   I typically utilize the  HI sensitivity setting.

Approaches are not approved but I've flown them VFR to see how well the system performed.    Utilizing both the AccuFlite and the AccuTrak results in an approach with fantastic lateral stability.  Even with strong cross winds these old systems work great!   

Feel free to PM if you would like to discuss any of the above.