South Coast Propellers

kpaul

Haven't needed them for the Mooney, but the took care of the prop on my 172 when I thought I was going to have to replace it.

But Cody is correct: they handle a lot of props, but everyone I have heard speak of them have always had good reviews.

Thanks for the information.

I think I am going to hold off on prop service for a bit.  The prop is functioning fine but is 10 years since new without an O/H.

Cody was kind enough to answer a couple of PMs, when I do pull the prop I will send it to Stallings Propeller.

I am not in much of a rush though since the plane is in annual, hopefully done this week and I will have to park it for 6 months for another government sponsored vacation before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with Gainsville but be prepared for the FAA inspector to walk in and tell them to scrap and dispose of your prop.  Of course the inspectors name is unobtainable.  prop gone, inspector gone and discussion gone. 

They picked up 2 three blade props at my place. One had two good blades and the other had one good blade. They were to overhaul one for me using those 3 blades. Month later i called and was told the FAA inspector had told them to scrap all.  Few weeks later PA had one for sale but would not give me the serial numbers.   Have had good dealings with Jimmy Gaither. Bet we are not so good friends after I mistakenly said East Coast instead of Gainsville.. Sorry Jimmy

• 3 years later...
On 11/5/2016 at 7:54 AM, Jerry Pressley said:

Good luck with Gainesville but be prepared for the FAA inspector to walk in and tell them to scrap and dispose of your prop.  Of course the inspectors name is unobtainable.  prop gone, inspector gone and discussion gone. 

I used to hear the same horror stories (no first hand knowledge), but haven't heard anything lately.  Did the shop get new management, or do all the locals just avoid the shop now?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2020 at 5:22 PM, 67 m20F chump said:

I had the prop governor looked at in Gainesville.  Told it couldn’t be serviced and the parts prices they quoted me were more than I could buy a overhauled governor for without a core.  I haven’t been back but they are local to me.  

They did the same thing to me. When it came time for my prop overhaul, I drove it to Birmingham.  Was very pleased.  

Edited by tony

When the governor in our C went south in the summer of 2018, I took it to South Coast in Bessemer.  A few days later they called back and congratulated me on having an antique!   Said that it had many AD's that were not in compliance, and that parts would be hard to find.  More expensive to repair than replace.  Sold me a PCU5000 at what my A&P said was a very fair price.