certified dual electronic ignition

DXB

Dear FAA,

Could you pretty please approve this electronic ignition system for my plane before the end of my current 500 hr mag maintenance interval.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/november/pilot/technology-its-electronic

Love,

DXB

Seriously, magnetos have no place in the modern world.  This ignition system has an internal alternator that makes them independent of ship's power. Better spark. No more fixed timing. Much better fuel economy. No more trusting your life to fragile plastic gears.   Oh, and could we please get rid of leaded gas too.  Together that would bring my flying dinosaur into the late 20th century.

• Like 5

16 hours ago, DXB said:

Dear FAA,

Could you pretty please approve this electronic ignition system for my plane before the end of my current 500 hr mag maintenance interval.

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2016/november/pilot/technology-its-electronic

Love,

DXB

Seriously, magnetos have no place in the modern world.  This ignition system has an internal alternator that makes them independent of ship's power. Better spark. No more fixed timing. Much better fuel economy. No more trusting your life to fragile plastic gears.   Oh, and could we please get rid of leaded gas too.  Together that would bring my flying dinosaur into the late 20th century.

FAA: Well, since you said "pretty please."

Seriously though, one thing I've learned in aviation is that everything's a compromise and there's never a free lunch. So what are the downsides of electronic ignition? Reliability?

• Like 1

Seriously though, one thing I've learned in aviation is that everything's a compromise and there's never a free lunch. So what are the downsides of electronic ignition? Reliability?

Cars EI seem pretty reliable, I believe they all come with secondary circuitry to take over in case of failure. NASCAR race cars have a manual switch they can used to switch to a secondary unit. Since we would have 2 systems, each with a backup mode, seems like that would be bulletproof.

Oh hell no.  can you imagine the LOP discussions multiplied by 100 when it comes to changing the map and which map is best.  then vendors popping up claiming to have the best ignition map.

In other news the sport ATV market has use carbs for years. with electronic ignition.  Our recent UTV has fuel injection.   Electronic ignition requires a good battery to work.

12 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

what's the downside? well you can't have it thank you very much faa - that's the downside.

it's perfectly conceived as it is - i want. 

whats the downside of a john deer turbo charged tractor over a horse and a plow?  umm ... the horse is cuter and you look silly if you name your tractor a cute name 

• Like 1

C'mon guys. This is really awesome.  Mostly solid state hardware.  One moving part. Fewer components- I assume you can throw out that shower of sparks business?. Stronger spark.  Better starting. Better fuel efficiency. No scheduled maintenance. Reliability proven in experimental aircraft. $1349 hardware cost for experimental - will be more with the eventual STC of course, but I recently paid >$700 just to IRAN my mags after 500 hrs. It lets you use cheap automotive type spark plugs!  Consider that set of massives for my plane costs $200 and fine wires cost $600. 1gph less fuel burn. I'd say there's net cost savings - the break even point comes up pretty fast.

Downside?  You can't hand prop your plane with a dead battery. OH NO!  I'm out!:lol:

6 minutes ago, DXB said:

C'mon guys. This is really awesome.  Mostly solid state hardware.  One moving part. Fewer components- I assume you can throw out that shower of sparks business?. Stronger spark.  Better starting. Better fuel efficiency. No scheduled maintenance. Reliability proven in experimental aircraft. $1349 hardware cost for experimental - will be more with the eventual STC of course, but I recently paid >$700 just to IRAN my mags after 500 hrs. It lets you use cheap automotive type spark plugs!  Consider that set of massives for my plane costs $200 and fine wires cost $600. 1gph less fuel burn. I'd say there's net cost savings - the break even point comes up pretty fast.

Downside?  You can't hand prop your plane with a dead battery. OH NO!  I'm out!:lol:

I know you are kidding but I'm not hand propping a 200HP lycoming anyway.  Besides don't you need a battery for the shower of sparks as well.  :o

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 1964-M20E said:

I know you are kidding but I'm not hand propping a 200HP lycoming anyway.  Besides don't you need a battery for the shower of sparks as well.  :o

Yeah you're right.  My '68C POH does have a section on "hand cranking the plane with a low battery," despite my lack of enthusiasm for this activity.  The checklist tells you to turn the ignition to start (send current to shower of sparks) but not push it in (engage the starter).  So you do need enough battery for the shower of sparks to send current to the retard points in the left mag. Although the original engineers deserve respect for the design, I have no problem with this system going the way of the dodo bird :).

• Like 2

• 3 years later...