Help with missing approach on iPad.

cnoe

23 hours ago, cnoe said:

I'd like some input from those using an app other than Foreflight such as Garmin Pilot, FlyQ EFB, WingX Pro, etc. to see if you're missing a particular approach option that will no longer pop up on my iPad. If you're using Foreflight you might also confirm what I'm experiencing.

In particular: Enter a flight from KBYY to KLBX and select the approach procedures for the ILS17 into KLBX. What I'd like to know is whether or not your app show the option to load an approach to the IAF FREEP or not.

This is a frequently flown IAP at my home drome and it's been oddly missing from Foreflight for the past two cycles. It's still on the "plates" but won't load into the app. Foreflight has been unusually slow to respond to the issue and I'm curious if the other apps are having a similar issue.

Thanks!

I see the same as you - FREEP is not selectable as an IAF using the procedures function.

i don't have Texas charts in WingX so can't try that. FlyQ doesn't have that load procedure capability.

57 minutes ago, Danb said:

If freep is used as first fix it brings you to hub for the turn n which doesn't make sense to me, generally you would get hub which is why I put that as my entry after vectors.

Praise is due for all. Thanks Anthony for your most excellent instructions. And thanks Dan for the persistence in answering my endless probing questions.

With your screenshot and comments you have confirmed my issue that FREEP has been deleted as an IAF for this approach in foreflight's database. The full procedure (with procedure turn) is shown on the approach plate but cannot be loaded into the flight plan. This was not the case as recently as August, and yesterday the fine people at Foreflight finally admitted the issue and vowed to fix it.

As a side note the FAA procedure that does load (HUB as the IAF) is absurd since the VOR sits in the middle of KHOU's class Bravo airspace and I've never once been vectored over the busy field.

And another thanks to MLF for additional confirmation. This thread can officially die now, unless y'all want me to post a screenshot of the proper approach once Foreflight gets it restored.

• Like 1

FREEP is at the OM.  The outer marker is awfully close to the runway.  Coming in on any angle greater than a few degrees from straight in, in IMC would be a challenge.  

Picking up FREEP while heading outbound would have you think that there may be better IAFs to go to with some altitude under the plane...

My IR knowledge and experience is somewhat minimal.... this discussion has been helpful for me.

Thanks!,

-a-

On 10/20/2016 at 10:02 AM, cnoe said:

As a side note the FAA procedure that does load (HUB as the IAF) is absurd since the VOR sits in the middle of KHOU's class Bravo airspace and I've never once been vectored over the busy field.

The disconnect between procedure structure and the real world of radar coverage is not even close to limited to this approach. IAFs, missed Approach holds, even lost comm procedures in SIDS, will take you places you really don't want to go. 

Practically speaking, they deal with unusual emergency situations rather than day-to-day ops.

• Like 1