Acclaim Air-to-Air Photo Shoot

Joe Zuffoletto

Acclaim Air-to-Air  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite photo?

2 minutes ago, Raptor05121 said:

Am I the one that noticed it looks as if the engine mount is sagging? The spinner is much lower than the cowling.

But I like 5. The windows look tinted and the paint just "pops"

I see that too - but this is curious to me - I always figured that if the engine is sagging while static on the ground, that in the air it would be sagging in the other direction - sitting high with the airplane hanging behind it.

I would be very curious to see what that nose cone looks like while static on the ground.

1 hour ago, Raptor05121 said:

Am I the one that noticed it looks as if the engine mount is sagging? The spinner is much lower than the cowling.

That's always bothered me too. I can't imagine it would be cheap to fix so I've just left it alone. BTW, it sags the same amount on the ground.

1 hour ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

That's always bothered me too. I can't imagine it would be cheap to fix so I've just left it alone. BTW, it sags the same amount on the ground.

I always thought that a little bit of sag is due to some flex in the engine mounts and that it would stand back up on its own in flight under the power of the prop pulling it up and forward.  I guess I am wrong.

Would the fix be new engine mount pucks?  Possibly a shim?

Just now, aviatoreb said:

I always thought that a little bit of sag is due to some flex in the engine mounts and that it would stand back up on its own in flight under the power of the prop pulling it up and forward.  I guess I am wrong.

Would the fix be new engine mount pucks?  Possibly a shim?

I had my IA add some shims.  It helped out, but it's not perfect.  Honestly could have stood another shim on the LL and LR of the engine mount.  Maxwell has an article about it.  

• Like 1

At my last annual LASAR replaced my lower engine mounts, and finally my spinner is lined up with the LoPresti cowl. It always bothered me that the spinner was lower than the cowl. I doubt if it made any speed difference, but it makes me feel better when I look at the front end if the airplane.

3c5561bacea606ed9b8e92227f1a06e9.jpg

bc7b2f05ae4d54f6a6d14c4e9fc9a75d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4, 5 & 6, but chose 5 as my final.  The banked turns really make the aesthetics of your beautiful Acclaim stand out.

I had the honour of demo flying the Acclaim here in Australia back in 08 and the privilege of having Don Kaye beside me for part of the tour.

Memories that will never be forgotten.:)

Anthony, I was hoping you would weigh in on this because I remember you commenting on it in the past. Good to know.

I checked out the Acclaims for sale on Controller and most of them have spinners that appear to be better aligned than mine. I'm going to at least look into the possibility of adding shims.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Joe Zuffoletto said:

Anthony, I was hoping you would weigh in on this because I remember you commenting on it in the past. Good to know.

I checked out the Acclaims for sale on Controller and most of them have spinners that appear to be better aligned than mine. I'm going to at least look into the possibility of adding shims.

There is a service bulletin from Mooney on the insulation causing the prop misalignment.  Your plane is not listed but it does not hurt to check since it is very quick and easy to check.  see the attachment.

Driver

m20-292a_Engine Mount_ and Insultion padding.pdf

Joe,  

My spinner is about a half inch smaller in diameter than it should be.  Upon review there is a 1/4” step created that is nothing more unsightly from an aerodynamic point of view.  That's what Hartzell is known for, aerodynamics...  these measurements were done by my uncalibrated Mk 1 eyeball.

Since I purchased the prop, I knew I was getting the mis-match situation. They didn't have the right size.  They may have given me a future possibility of getting an update if it were to arise...

The cowling is probably showing a symmetrical difference all the way around.  The cowling was designed to match a larger spinner. If your engine mounts have sagged, then that should be a measurable, non-symmetric issue.

The issue with the engine mount incorporating insulation is pretty well known and shouldn't be too hard to check on.  Experienced builders must have been absent that day...

Let me know if you want a picture or a measurement.

Best regards,

-a-

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/18/2016 at 9:03 AM, Kris_Adams said:

they are all pretty nice...kind of like picking a favorite child:)

Yea, was thinking the same thing.

And to think Joe actually had this airplane listed for sale not too long ago!!   :-)

Seriously, I've always loved this airplane's paint scheme, and the equipment on board is exactly what I would choose if I ever went to an Acclaim.

Joe, if you ever get the urge to sell again....we may need to talk.

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 8:05 PM, Bennett said:

At my last annual LASAR replaced my lower engine mounts, and finally my spinner is lined up with the LoPresti cowl. It always bothered me that the spinner was lower than the cowl. I doubt if it made any speed difference, but it makes me feel better when I look at the front end if the airplane.

How old were your engine mounts prior to the change?

Wow!  I kept on picking a new favorite thebfurther I scrolled down, real nice!  I like 5 and 7 the best.  5 with the darkened windows just looks cool and I love the combo of the backdrop and prop reflection in 7.