What's wrong with Mooney Pilots?

Guitarmaster

NOPE.  Air-Cooled VW's are underpowered and are NOT fast and efficient.  A Mooney is "an air-cooled 911 Porsche" in the sky.  Fast.  Low slung.  Tight back seat.  Simple.  Elegant.  Form follows function.  Beautiful to look at like a sports car.  You strap it on and go.  VW.  F that.  A Mooney is a sports car.  when "driven" well and efficiently it is the Mac-daddy.  A VW?  Whatever....

• Like 3

From the Collins article-

I can only wonder if Mooney wouldn’t find success in a super-efficient version as the company gets back into manufacturing new aircraft.

The answer is, not so much. Once the cost of a brand new four seat airplane elevated well outside the reach of the upper middle class, concerns of fuel consumption became very minor. Mooney didn't kill the M20J, or the M20K, the market did.

• Like 1

Interesting article, When I think of the comparison of a Mooney to an older VW I think of my Mooney being the equivalent of a VW karmann ghia. Both are efficient, sexy as hell and a pleasure to operate, and when operated correctly both are pound for pound and dollar for dollar better than anything in their class. And I am just enough of a "NERD" to be able to appreciate the beauty and elegance of their simple functionality with leads to a reliability better than anything in their class when maintained properly.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree

Cheers,

• Like 3

Interesting article, When I think of the comparison of a Mooney to an older VW I think of my Mooney being the equivalent of a VW karmann ghia. Both are efficient, sexy as hell and a pleasure to operate, and when operated correctly both are pound for pound and dollar for dollar better than anything in their class. And I am just enough of a "NERD" to be able to appreciate the beauty and elegance of their simple functionality with leads to a reliability better than anything in their class when maintained properly.
Cheers,

My thoughts exactly!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, Guitarmaster said:

I had in mind something like this... :)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's true that heavily modified VWs (usually with Porsche engines) are nearly unstoppable on the amateur drag strips of America, the fact that the bone stock car as it was delivered from the VW factory is pretty under powered by American standards. We, with our relatively cheap gas, like some get up and go, where as the Europeans are more concerned with their pocketbooks at the pump.

The nice thing about fuel efficient airplanes is, it means they can go faster if desired, unlike fuel efficient cars that are pretty much stuck in the slow lane. 

Edited by DaV8or
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, astravierso said:

Cheers,

Thank you.  I do.  They are NOT fast.  What is the HP rating of a Ghia?  The old 60's versions with two tone paint are beautiful, like a Mooney, but No, not feeling it.

I would say most early Mooney pilots were more likely to drive BMW's or Porsche's of that era.  The 2002 or 911 were fast and efficient.  Both were much simpler than their cousins built today, very similar to the evolution of the Mooney lines.  Interesting, I had a 1974 2002tii and now I fly a 1975 20F.  

Bob your the best, when Instarted I was on the SCCA national road rally circuit, since the 60's I've always  had a sports car or two. Currently matured  into a MB 550sl,  but loved my English SC's. I had a special Datsun 2000 tricked out for rally's and another for sprints, what a blast wish it never ended.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

NOPE.  Air-Cooled VW's are underpowered and are NOT fast and efficient.  A Mooney is "an air-cooled 911 Porsche" in the sky.  Fast.  Low slung.  Tight back seat.  Simple.  Elegant.  Form follows function.  Beautiful to look at like a sports car.  You strap it on and go.  VW.  F that.  A Mooney is a sports car.  when "driven" well and efficiently it is the Mac-daddy.  A VW?  Whatever....

Haha! I've owned two 911's... and that was before PPL and not even a thought about what kind of plane I would own... checks out! 

Mike

• Like 1

4 hours ago, astravierso said:

Fair enough.... But to be clear FAST was not one of the adjectives I used. As for the HP question, the link below has all you'll ever want to know about the ghia (if you believe Wiki).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Karmann_Ghia

Cheers

Fair enough.  I have been a lover of the Ghia for years.  Just more of a "pre-driven" Porsche guy when it comes to auto's and actually putting one in the garage.  Many update the HP/brakes/stereo/suspension, but I prefer ABS and daily driver reliability in my autos.  Plane with '60's engine (since rebuild) has ticked away nicely for 700 hours.  Probably shouldn't have put that in print.  Jumangi will smite me...

Bob your the best, when Instarted I was on the SCCA national road rally circuit, since the 60's I've always  had a sports car or two. Currently matured  into a MB 550sl,  but loved my English SC's. I had a special Datsun 2000 tricked out for rally's and another for sprints, what a blast wish it never ended.

Many English and Italian sports cars in the late 50s, 60s, and 70s. Miatas (4) in later years. Now a wonderful MB retractable hard top 500SL "appropriate" to my age. Daily driver is a BMW 7 series (following a number of other BMWs. I think sports cars, and sailboats, go well with Mooneys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bennett said:

Many English and Italian sports cars in the late 50s, 60s, and 70s. Miatas (4) in later years. Now a wonderful MB retractable hard top 500SL "appropriate" to my age. Daily driver is a BMW 7 series (following a number of other BMWs. I think sports cars, and sailboats, go well with Mooneys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bennett, did you see the Fiat based on the Miata?  Looks very nice.  A Miata is age appropriate to anyone that "pilots" (A nod to my Canadian northern neighbor) a Mooney.

Started with a 56 Caddy in 63 then a new VW in 65 thence Camaros, Porsche 911SC, Corvette 65 coupe, MBs, more caddys, and now, in my advancing years, it seems my needs are met for both airport stuff and other stuff in my Ford F-150. Maybe I can say, been there done that, have moved on from the "trophy" cars :-) :-)

Now, if we want to talk airplanes, then my M20D has no peers! Trophy value 10!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

On 10/15/2016 at 9:50 PM, MyNameIsNobody said:

I love my short body Mooney but I wouldn't compare it to a Porsche 911.  More like an efficient Toyota Prius.  Designed to go from point A to point B.  Compact and good on fuel.  I think a 911 is more comparable to a Pitt's or maybe a RV-4 type(much better handling characteristics which are similar to a sports car).