What's wrong with Mooney Pilots?

Guitarmaster

6 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

Bennett, did you see the Fiat based on the Miata?  Looks very nice.  A Miata is age appropriate to anyone that "pilots" (A nod to my Canadian northern neighbor) a Mooney.

I'm so proud, my first convert!

Clarence

8 hours ago, DonMuncy said:

Started in MG-TDs, on to MG-TF, Austin-Healey 100, Porsche 356B, Lotus Super 7, Lotus Elans, Lotus Europa, Lancias. Currently drive a Mazda MX-5 daily.

MIne were an MGA, AH 100/4, AH Sprite (non-frog eye), MGB and now have a Lexus IS 250C for top-down needs. 

(But I am in the middle of a Stage 3 or 5 MGB in the garage.)

7 hours ago, kerry said:

I love my short body Mooney but I wouldn't compare it to a Porsche 911.  More like an efficient Toyota Prius.  Designed to go from point A to point B.  Compact and good on fuel.  I think a 911 is more comparable to a Pitt's or maybe a RV-4 type(much better handling characteristics which are similar to a sports car).

Kerry...You are so very...merry....in your comparison of a Mooney to...a 

Prius.

With words you have shoved a blunt objet into my eye and broken it off within the orifice.

In summary...Ouch, THAT hurts.

I get that Toyota has made a "winning" vehicle in efficiency with their Prius.  For those that choose to own and operate them..."Good for you".

We covered the "buy American" in this thread.  We now have moved into the "environmental aspects" of the thread.  Batteries vs. lead...talk amongst yourselves.  

The Buick Rendevous and Toyota Prius.  Which is more "Beautiful" to behold.  Oh, I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.  Sorry I need to go take care of that...

Just now, MyNameIsNobody said:

We now have moved into the "environmental aspects" of the thread

Ha, not for me....I own a 75 M20F, 2007 35' Class A gas motorhome with a V-10, and my daily driver in a lifted 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK.  My Mooney gets the best MPG of the three.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oldguy said:

MIne were an MGA, AH 100/4, AH Sprite (non-frog eye), MGB and now have a Lexus IS 250C for top-down needs. 

(But I am in the middle of a Stage 3 or 5 MGB in the garage.)

That probably means you are a little younger than me.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MyNameIsNobody said:

In the "I can tow whatever I want" vehicle?

You can tow 10 of these other sports cars.

My daily driver is a 99 jeep Cherokee with 230k miles that I'm limping along.  Bulletproof engine.  Differential and torque converter getting a bit .... iffy.  I'll probably keep it to tinker when the realities of needing a reliable family car come crashing down.  

My fun car is an Acura RSX with a 200 hp engine, decent enough handling, and good fuel efficiency when you want it.   It's like an E-model Mooney.  Just try putting a 3 year old in the car seat in that ... I tore my rotator cuff doing that.  

Bennett, did you see the Fiat based on the Miata?  Looks very nice.  A Miata is age appropriate to anyone that "pilots" (A nod to my Canadian northern neighbor) a Mooney.

Yep, I've seen the "Fiata". Some nice touches compared to the Miatas. I had a 124 Fiat Spider about two years before they were imported to the US. Great sounding, high RPM engine, that was great fun to drive, but until they were actually imported to the US, a bear to maintain. Eventually I missed a shift at about 9000+ RPM, and destroyed the engine. I liked the 124 series so much I bought another one when they were imported to sell in the US. I agree that Miatas are simply fun to drive at any age.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Don you had a TD---Sweet, those were the days my friend we wish they never end,. Wow that could have made a great song

MG TC, TD, TF, and an aluminum bodied twin cam MG A homologized for racing. Compared to today, these cars were hard riding, low performance, stuck with horrible Lucas electrical components, but we sure did enjoy them in their time. The Miatas, especially the early ones, were the perfect inheritors of that tradition - and realiable to boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Joe Larussa said:

I'm on my third air cooled Porsche and I would definitely say my 77 201 is a Porsche with wings!

I recently sold my 73 911T and my daily driver is a 996 Carrera.  Without a doubt the 996 is the best track car out there not counting later cars produced by Porsche.   I know a lot of Mooney owners like to compare their airplanes to a Porsche and that's fine, but when I fly my Mooney the last thing I think of is racing my Porsche on a track. I have an experimental Bakeng Duce that's stick and rudder with 150hp. When I bore holes in the sky my Duce has that tight turning Porsche feel.  Nothing compared to Red Bull air racing but that's why those guys race Corvus Racer 540's and not Mooney's.

1 hour ago, kerry said:

I recently sold my 73 911T and my daily driver is a 996 Carrera.  Without a doubt the 996 is the best track car out there not counting later cars produced by Porsche.   I know a lot of Mooney owners like to compare their airplanes to a Porsche and that's fine, but when I fly my Mooney the last thing I think of is racing my Porsche on a track. I have an experimental Bakeng Duce that's stick and rudder with 150hp. When I bore holes in the sky my Duce has that tight turning Porsche feel.  Nothing compared to Red Bull air racing but that's why those guys race Corvus Racer 540's and not Mooney's.

How I wish I still had my 86 930 turbo! When I sold my 172 I was going to hang it up and buy a Ferrari. My wife said are you crazy? Buy a faster airplane! Love my Mooney!

the common thread here is the boxer engine and when its raining or snowing thats the day my WRX spanks all the Vetts and 911's  dont get me wrong love to have a 911 but for the money and real world driving might go Cayman S.  First car was a 73 Opel GT that I modified to the hilt and won some SCCA solo 2 events back in the day

as for the Mooney not handling like a 911 well I'd like to see the stock 911 that can maintian a 2 g turn.  Always cracks me up when people say something handles like a boat, ever see Champ outboards race Nothing turns as hard.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, bonal said:

the common thread here is the boxer engine and when its raining or snowing thats the day my WRX spanks all the Vetts and 911's  dont get me wrong love to have a 911 but for the money and real world driving might go Cayman S.  First car was a 73 Opel GT that I modified to the hilt and won some SCCA solo 2 events back in the day

as for the Mooney not handling like a 911 well I'd like to see the stock 911 that can maintian a 2 g turn.  Always cracks me up when people say something handles like a boat, ever see Champ outboards race Nothing turns as hard.

You can get a 1999 Porsche 996 for 10K.  Kind of a hidden treasure.  WRX's are pricey.  They hold their value well for obvious reasons.  I agree its impossible to compare the performance of an airplane to a car.  I will say the Mooney is a dog compared to an RV-7 in performance.  You can't even spin a Mooney, but I guess its how you define performance.  The RV-7 can be considered a dog as a stable IFR, cross country airplane that you can take your family with on vacation.  That's why a person needs to practical airplanes just like he or she needs two practical cars.  A Porsche and a minivan.

I doubt it has anything to do with Mooneys in particular. I think it has more to do with people that want an airplane to travel distances. I bet Bonanza, C-210, Commander, Malibu, etc owners also have similar stories of Porsches and european sports cars.

A Mooney most certainly does not handle like a Porsche. Anybody who thinks it does has either never flown a plane that has light, snappy handling, or has never driven a Porsche.

Edited by DaV8or
  • Like 1