Central Texas Avionics Work

losthorse

A short note to share my experience getting avionics work performed on my 1966 M20C.

I purchased this aircraft about six years ago and it was equipped with an AirGizmo mounted 296. About a year ago I upgraded to the GTN650 with Crystal Avionics (New Braunfels, TX). I really like John (this has not changed) and he seemed capable of completing the work. He quoted me what I believed to be a fair price for the GTN650 and indicator, a new attitude indicator, new light rings on all gauges, new push to talk buttons, and a 12v power outlet.

John called me and told me the work was completed and I made the trip to pick up the plane. Upon entering the aircraft I could not move the seat as it had not been reinstalled correctly. Crystal Avionics was unable to correct the problem so I had to do it myself while the plane sat outside of the hanger in the sun. I found an extraction tool had been left near the seat rail and was preventing proper installation. Further inspection revealed the new light rings were operational; however, the new Garmin indicator light was inoperative. Additionally, the push to talk buttons had not been replaced and the vacuum system had been installed in reverse.

In contrast, I recently upgraded the transponder with the fine folks at Pippen & York (Fredericksburg, TX). They quoted me a fair price on the transponder and labor. Additionally, they moved the transponder into the center stack (an impossibility according to Crystal Avionics), upgraded the software to the latest version, properly mounted the 12v power outlet, and replaced my push to talk buttons. Everything works as expected.

If you need avionics work performed in central Texas, Pippen & York should be strongly considered.

IMG_0022-2.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

• Like 2

Not to be confused with the shop called Central Texas avionics in Georgetown, TX but I have used them for KI-256 removal and install a after overhaul along with my Garmin 106A on nav 2 not working right. I tried to use crystal but they didn't call me back so I ended up at central Texas avionics. Good shop, fair prices and decent turn around. Glad to hear the shop at T82 was good as well. 

• 1 year later...

I had a lot of problems with Crystal Avionics.  I want to like John but I wouldn't go back there.

I did a major panel upgrade with them - GTN 750/650/345r/35c, EDM900 and ELT.  They were supposed to remove the old wiring and didn't.  They were supposed to flush mount the new EDM-900 and didn't.  They left some electronics hanging under the panel unsecured.  The installed the new temp probe in the side of the fuselage instead of under the wing where the original was without talking to me.  They installed a different ELT than was on the work order.  They didn't properly configure the GPS for the autopilot or for the voice recognition.  I paid extra to have the autopilot wiring checked and corrected so the GPSS for the KFC225 would work but it still doesn't work.  Their installation of the EDM-900 rendered the hobbs meter inop but they didn't setup the new one built in the EDM-900.  Lucky I caught that one when I got home as after 10 hours, it requires a trip to the factory to be reset.  They didn't tie up the wiring harness right and it fell and interfered with flight controls.  And the one that at least gave me a good surprise - they cut off an old braided ground wire and left it several inches long and loose right by the switch panel.  It hit the bus and resulted in an epic spark.  And I'm convinced they didn't do the W&B right.

1 hour ago, hypertech said:

I had a lot of problems with Crystal Avionics.  I want to like John but I wouldn't go back there.

I did a major panel upgrade with them - GTN 750/650/345r/35c, EDM900 and ELT.  They were supposed to remove the old wiring and didn't.  They were supposed to flush mount the new EDM-900 and didn't.  They left some electronics hanging under the panel unsecured.  The installed the new temp probe in the side of the fuselage instead of under the wing where the original was without talking to me.  They installed a different ELT than was on the work order.  They didn't properly configure the GPS for the autopilot or for the voice recognition.  I paid extra to have the autopilot wiring checked and corrected so the GPSS for the KFC225 would work but it still doesn't work.  Their installation of the EDM-900 rendered the hobbs meter inop but they didn't setup the new one built in the EDM-900.  Lucky I caught that one when I got home as after 10 hours, it requires a trip to the factory to be reset.  They didn't tie up the wiring harness right and it fell and interfered with flight controls.  And the one that at least gave me a good surprise - they cut off an old braided ground wire and left it several inches long and loose right by the switch panel.  It hit the bus and resulted in an epic spark.  And I'm convinced they didn't do the W&B right.

But other than that they did a great job . . lol

I've had work done at Pippen-York at T82 also and they do nice work.