Mooney timeline spreadsheet

MRussell

Scanning the numbers it appears that 64 & 65 were the best years for Mooney different time different place.  Also it appears that until Mooney forced out the J frame it would outsell the long body airplanes.  Just casual quick observations of the charts not scientific.

The worst years were 2001  with13 and 2002 with 10 aircraft manufactured.

21 hours ago, 1964-M20E said:

Scanning the numbers it appears that 64 & 65 were the best years for Mooney different time different place.  Also it appears that until Mooney forced out the J frame it would outsell the long body airplanes.  Just casual quick observations of the charts not scientific.

The worst years were 2001  with13 and 2002 with 10 aircraft manufactured.

Well, that's about what they're selling now. The production volume really doesn't matter. It's the profit that matters for the company's survival. If they can build just 10 planes a year, but still make a profit, then all is well. If they can't... they'll have to ask the motherland for more money I guess.

• 2 years later...
21 minutes ago, Browncbr1 said:

Interesting that the 67F was by far the best single year selling model in the history of Mooney. (In terms of number of air frames) 539

By far? There were 473 Es built in '66, the year before the F was introduced.  

http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm is a gold mine of info.

After '67, when production concentrated on the new F (e.g., E production dropped from 473 in '66 to 62 in '67), the short bodies out sold the F until Butler closed the doors in  '71. From '69-'71 there were 198 Cs, 157 Es, and 174 Fs built.

The 5 years from '64 (Es introduced) through '68 saw the huge spike in Mooney production:

'64: 600            (planes of all models)

'65: 750

'66: 760

'67: 751

'68: 621 

production was cut in half in '69 and '70 before the factory was closed in '71.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

By far? There were 473 Es built in '66, the year before the F was introduced.  

http://www.mooneyevents.com/chrono.htm is a gold mine of info.

After '67, when production concentrated on the new F (e.g., E production dropped from 473 in '66 to 62 in '67), the short bodies out sold the F until Butler closed the doors in  '71. From '69-'71 there were 198 Cs, 157 Es, and 174 Fs built.

The 5 years from '64 (Es introduced) through '68 saw the huge spike in Mooney production:

'64: 600            (planes of all models)

'65: 750

'66: 760

'67: 751

'68: 621 

production was cut in half in '69 and '70 before the factory was closed in '71.

I’ve always said if I didn’t have a family to haul, I’d have an E... it’s awesome, especially yours.   I also noticed that after the initial introduction year of the F, the short bodies were produced more.  One of these days I’ll get Lynn to re-rig my plane and take a peek at yours; if you’re up to it! ;)  

1 minute ago, Browncbr1 said:

I’ve always said if I didn’t have a family to haul, I’d have an E... it’s awesome, especially yours.   I also noticed that after the initial introduction year of the F, the short bodies were produced more.  One of these days I’ll get Lynn to re-rig my plane and take a peek at yours; if you’re up to it! ;)  

Anytime!

(The Chrono history is production, not sales. It would be interested to know how many unsold planes were built. I don't suppose there are many people still around from 50 years ago to tell the tales. I've heard that dealers like Henry Webber in PA took delivery or title of unsold planes to help Mooney cash flow but I don't know if that was from those halcyon years.)